RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Valve stem extension won't work

Just got my coach back from the shop & I asked them to check the tire pressure. They told me one of the rear inner tires valve extension would not inflate or deflate. I checked it and it will not inflate or deflate and the TPMS showed 4psi even though I cold tell tire was full.

Any advice? Is this just an extension gone bad that can be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

HMW
2019 Entegra Reatta
fallmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
NXR

Sometimes the extension will not fully depress the valve inside the stem.

I only need to add air twice a year so I'm considering removing the inside dual extensions and screwing the TPMS sensor directly on the valve stem to remove a potential source of a tire failure.

I last added air in mid-March and I need to add about five lbs psi because the tires were down to their sticker pressure of 90 lbs psi when it got down to 40 degrees this morning. I like to carry a bit extra since we can get within 600 lbs (3%) of GVWR with "full everything".

Ray
Old 09-19-2020, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Sometimes the extension will not fully depress the valve inside the stem.

I only need to add air twice a year so I'm considering removing the inside dual extensions and screwing the TPMS sensor directly on the valve stem to remove a potential source of a tire failure.

I last added air in mid-March and I need to add about five lbs psi because the tires were down to their sticker pressure of 90 lbs psi when it got down to 40 degrees this morning. I like to carry a bit extra since we can get within 600 lbs (3%) of GVWR with "full everything".

Ray
I have ONE extension. I use it to add air to tires then store in in my toolbox until next time.
My TPMS sensors are directly on the valve stems. I carry a short length of heater-type hose that fits quite snugly to remove/install the metal valve caps on the inner duals.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #4

The valve stem extension may be loose AT the inner dual wheel. If so when depressing the outer Schrader valve it will not fully depress the inner valve core. The extension is tightened to the inner dual via an open end wrench.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:03 AM   #5

Example.
Click on picture # 3.

https://www.amazon.com/Dually-Valve-.../dp/B07D1H5182
Old 09-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #6

...after 17 years and 190k miles, I have concluded that valve stem extensions involve a lot of magic--especially the duals. Some folks seem to have no issues with extensions, others have nothing but isuues. Ray,In came up with a really clever solution--my compliments. To me, the ideal solution is a single, long valve stem that doesnt need an extension to reach thru the outside wheel--but they are hard to find. And for those who uses sensors [a good idea], the flow-thru design is a good option but are often slow to fill/release air. Balance beads can be an issue and sometimes the threaded couplers between the valve stem and extension are not compatible [eg short thread length, so the coupler may seat but wont depress the value core......]
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

I keep spare 6" extensions in the parts bin. Murphys law kicks in and I never have an issue when I have a spare on board....
DieselDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #8

In the long run, all-metal, "extended valve stems", not extensions, are the way to go. These replace your existing valve stems and require professional installation involving removing the wheels and unseating the tire bead to get access to the old valve stems. The best time to do this is when installing new tires but I've seen postings where people have had it done for $30 - $50/tire plus the cost of the extended valve stems. Borg is a good manufacturer of extended valve stems. I'd go to a truck tire shop, not an RV shop to have this done.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #9

Could be the valve extender is too loose, OR too tight. Do not over tighten them.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #10

I just had an inner dual with the same symptom. Took it to a Les Schwab; the extension had corrosion and dirt in it. They replaced the extension; $34.
Interesting that it happened since the PO had the tires replaced 3wks before I bought it mid-May.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
I just had an inner dual with the same symptom. Took it to a Les Schwab; the extension had corrosion and dirt in it. They replaced the extension; $34.
Interesting that it happened since the PO had the tires replaced 3wks before I bought it mid-May.
If this statement by Les Schwab is actually true, someone somewhere sure screwed up big time. There is no way dirt or corrosion can be inside a extension unless it was there before it was installed. I would look closely at the "new" extensions they put on for $34 to see if they are actually new!
Old 09-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
If this statement by Les Schwab is actually true, someone somewhere sure screwed up big time. There is no way dirt or corrosion can be inside a extension unless it was there before it was installed. I would look closely at the "new" extensions they put on for $34 to see if they are actually new!

It was replaced, with a new, shorter extension . Does work well now, at least I can check the pressure and add air if needed.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
It was replaced, with a new, shorter extension . Does work well now, at least I can check the pressure and add air if needed.
Funny, when I had my tires replaced I told them to reuse the valve extensions because they were just the perfect length for my old fingers to get the valve cap off and on. Of course they ignored the comment in the work order and replaced my old extensions with shiny brand new ones, which were about 1" too short for my fingers to use. I bought new ones that were just right.

In the past 20 years I've only had one valve stem problem. We had taken the coach into the mountains of WVa to a State Park that stays open all winter for snow skiing, snowshoeing and hiking activities. We ran into some deep snow and the snow got packed between the rear tires cracking the valve stem.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:29 PM   #14

I used valve extensions for couple of years no issues but than one day I had a issue and the tire was almost flat, I found out the valve extension was leaking after driving for 2 days, since than I have never used one and wont go back to using one, almost lost a tire..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve