Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Valve stem extensions

Braided valve stem extensions were put on the rear dual wheels 1-1/2 years ago when we had new tires installed. The darn things have leaked air since the install. They have been such a pain I had them removed last week when the brake recall was performed on our 2003 Holiday Rambler's Workhorse chassis.
Removing them has created another problem for me. I can't access the existing valve stems to check the pressure.

I really need some suggestions from those of you who have solved their dually air pressure problem!! I'm considering 2 approaches to resolve this problem: 1). Have longer valve stems installed on the 4 rear dual tires or (2). Install 3" straight extensions and install rubber doughnuts on the oval cutouts in the wheels. These will let the extensions pass through the doughnuts and stabilize them when the tires are rotating. Hopefully this will stop the air leakage.

I need help on this issue!! I really look forward to hearing what worked for you folks who have experienced this problem.

2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34' Workhorse
georgebonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I ditched the extensions 3 years ago and have not looked back.
Installed the one piece Dually Valve Stems.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...lly-valve-kits

Trouble free easy access. Little pricey but worth every penny.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #3

I found these at a local OK Tire Store here in Oregon. Cost was $21. All brass. The shop owner knew exactly what I wanted and ordered them from his distributor. Unfortunately I don't know who that was.

Had the tire shop install when they installed my duals. And they had 'the kid' do one wheel and after mounting, it blew out because the rubber washer was too small. Of course the old hands at the shop knew exactly what the issue was and even had the larger washers in stock so little lost time. But glad they caught the mistake there, not something I'd want to find out at 60 MPH.

I did use my tin snips on the wheel cover to make a small slot for the long brass extensions. There was no oval donut provided with this set and I didn't bother with them either. 3300 miles later they're still looking good.

They are similar to the $120 set listed for my RV at the link above.

Before I got around to changing my tires, I did try to find brass extensions and the best prices were delivery from China. Usually the sets were in the $20 range. That didn't suit me because I move around so much and waiting 8 weeks for an overseas delivery wasn't in the cards for me. Pretty happy when I found I was able to order them at OK Tire, AND they were a decent price.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #4

When I had my first set of tires installed I had the tire shop install new stems and 4in extension that I supplied then last year installed new tires and new 4in extension, no leaks and my TST work great no problems.
2stroker Click image for larger version

Name:	20190906_072801.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	291481
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
When I had my first set of tires installed I had the tire shop install new stems and 4in extension that I supplied then last year installed new tires and new 4in extension, no leaks and my TST work great no problems.
2stroker Attachment 291481
These are the ones I use, 4in extension
2 stroker Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_190952.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	291482
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #6

I had to put 1-1/2" metal extensions on my inside rear stems so that I could get my TPMS onto them. I had to extend my fronts by 3/4".

Did it a couple of years ago and have had zero trouble.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #7

I used extensions on my inner dullys but they were prone to leak. I replaced them with longer valve stems I bought from Borg Equipment & Supply 7317 Foothills Blvd Tujunga CA 91043, it’s a suburb of Los Angeles. They have a web site and their phone number is (818) 352-8717. The cost was about $55/60 dollars. I had the tire department at T/A install then for $80.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #8
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had a little grief checking pressure on in side dual. When my new tires were installed the out side dual was one bolt hole off. I purchased a 12 ton jack from amazon for $63.00 (I immediately found one for $30.00) So I jacked up wheel with my $63.00 jack and moved outside wheel one bolt hole. then found that torque was 175 lbs. i had purchased a long torque wrench for this purpose. I still did not have the strength to torque to 175 lbs. So I called my very mechanically inclined daughter to do it for me. Well she is at work but later comes and does it for me. Then I find i can't check presser because some thing is wrong with my extension. So I call daughter back and she is at work but eventually comes and helps and of course the stupid extension works for her. Sorry for the long winded storie, but it took me three days to do a 30 minute job. Its done now so all is good.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Installed "Crossfires' on the rears of last 2 coaches. It connects both tires thru check valves to a common fill point. If one tire is going flat it will allow other tire to loose 5-10% (I think) and then the check valve closes so both tire don't go flat. It connects thru an indicator that shows if you have adequate pressure. Correct pressure shows yellow, low pressure shows black, and hi pressure (after driving) show yellow. A quick glance during your walk around before leaving or at each gas stop tells you quickly of you're OK. You need to know what pressure you run at as they come in 5psi ranges (e.g. 85#, 90#, 95#...)

Advantage to this system over TPMS is the common fill point.

Skip Y
2010 Journey, 2015 Equinox
WIT Club 47083, FMCA F263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I ditched the extensions 3 years ago and have not looked back.
Installed the one piece Dually Valve Stems.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/categ...lly-valve-kits

Trouble free easy access. Little pricey but worth every penny.
Did the same on our Bay Star. The Borg stems are expensive, but I'm very happy with the product. And, my TPMS works well with the Borg dually stems.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve