Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Vegas heat and parking

Heading to Vegas in a few days. Decided to stay at a hotel. Any precautions with leaving the motorhome in a secure lot with no power? We have been full timing for 5 years, but never away from it for 10 days. Fridge will be on propane.

Would you open a few windows and run the fans to keep air moving? I will be across the street so can run the genny every few days to charge the batteries.

Thanks,
J
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #2

I don't know about the Vegas heat but I leave my motorhome parked in my driveway all buttoned up anytime I'm not using it. Usually plugged in to keep the batteries charged but I don't see the difference if ur gonna go run the generator every couple days.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Unless you have something in there that you don't want getting too warm, I'd leave it closed up. At most, I'd go over in the evening when things have cooled off a bit and open a window and a vent to evac the hot air inside.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Leave a ceiling exhaust fan running to move the hottest air out. Imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:28 AM   #5

If you don't have solar panels, I believe the fans will drain your batteries in a couple of days depending on how good your system is....any time they get to 50 percent...12.1 volts than you will considerably shorten the life of your batteries. If your going to charge them with your generator, run it at least an hour and a half as running it for 20 minutes to charge them does more harm then good to both your batteries and generator.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:34 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I would check with area campgrounds and see if any have a storage area where they could supply a power hookup. Even 15A power would likely be enough to run one air conditioner and keep the batteries from going flat if you set your charger for a 5A charge rate.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I would check with area campgrounds and see if any have a storage area where they could supply a power hookup. Even 15A power would likely be enough to run one air conditioner and keep the batteries from going flat if you set your charger for a 5A charge rate.

X2 [emoji106]
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you haven't been to Vegas this time of year, you can fry eggs in those parking lots, even in the evening. It doesn't cool down at night. I would be very concerned about leaving my coach in an asphalt parking lot in that heat. You could easily see 125 degrees of reflective heat in a parking lot.

I agree with a couple of others.....it may be a little pricey, but I would park it at one of the RV parks and leave it connected with the air running and the interior cabinets left open.

I know many may store their coaches in this type of heat, but the OP is a full timer and most likely has a coach full of food and personal items.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #9

Yep, it's going to be hot but the coach will not melt or catch on fire. Lock it up and go enjoy yourself.

-Kevin
Old 07-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you haven't been to Vegas this time of year, you can fry eggs in those parking lots, even in the evening. It doesn't cool down at night. I would be very concerned about leaving my coach in an asphalt parking lot in that heat. You could easily see 125 degrees of reflective heat in a parking lot.

I agree with a couple of others.....it may be a little pricey, but I would park it at one of the RV parks and leave it connected with the air running and the interior cabinets left open.

I know many may store their coaches in this type of heat, but the OP is a full timer and most likely has a coach full of food and personal items.

Good point. Yes all of our stuff is in the coach. Based on some of the feedback, i decided to hook it up at Main Street Station RV Park downtown. Pretty cheap.

Thanks all
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heat