Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2023, 04:38 PM   #1

Velvac Mirror Housing Repair

Not sure when or how I got a scrape in my passenger side mirror housing but I would like to repair it to make it more presentable. Has any repaired scratches/gouges/scrapes in your chromed plastic mirror housing? Looking for pointers. From what I have seen online, most of the “chrome” paint is really silver.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2023, 05:11 PM   #2

Those things can become a real eyesore and I am interested in the same pointers. The replacements are insanely expensive. Well, RV expensive anyway.

Edit, you got me curious and there are some less expensive options out there. I have one mirror that the housing is peeling.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16578987809...SABEgKYB_D_BwE
Still not cheap but we are rich since we own RV's ...right ?
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:09 AM   #3

A few years ago mine were peeling. I brought it to a chrome shop and they did a great job refinishing them. Not cheap but a much better job than what Velvac does. They will outlast the rest of the rv now. The place was near the coast in Melbourne FL.
I know I made a post when I was having it done. It is somewhere on iRV2 if you want to look. Highly recommend them.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
A few years ago mine were peeling. I brought it to a chrome shop and they did a great job refinishing them. Not cheap but a much better job than what Velvac does. They will outlast the rest of the rv now. The place was near the coast in Melbourne FL.
I know I made a post when I was having it done. It is somewhere on iRV2 if you want to look. Highly recommend them.
I believe this is the company you are talking about. Many positive comments about them

https://www.spacecoast-plating.com/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
I believe this is the company you are talking about. Many positive comments about them

https://www.spacecoast-plating.com/

Yep. Great to deal with.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:20 AM   #6

His mirrors are chrome covered plastic not metal.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:43 AM   #7

I have had great service with theses guys on mirrors.
https://www.pacificrvmirrors.com/
Old 01-03-2023, 09:35 AM   #8

He beat me to it.$30 cheaper. Look for/Google promo codes as well you never know.
https://www.pacificrvmirrors.com/product-p/714607.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpiland View Post
I have had great service with theses guys on mirrors.
https://www.pacificrvmirrors.com/
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:43 PM   #9

How extensive is the damage? I've used one of those Moltow liquid chrome pens to touch up minor scratches with pretty good results.

Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker Set - - 1mm, 2mm and 4mm through Amazon

I'm not an expert at painting but I've considered maybe doing some DIY projects re-chroming plastic things but haven't had the courage to do it yet (kind of like is shown in this video). I'm sure those who have expertise in painting can give better input whether it would work or not on mirror housings.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
How extensive is the damage? I've used one of those Moltow liquid chrome pens to touch up minor scratches with pretty good results.

Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker Set - - 1mm, 2mm and 4mm through Amazon

I'm not an expert at painting but I've considered maybe doing some DIY projects re-chroming plastic things but haven't had the courage to do it yet (kind of like is shown in this video). I'm sure those who have expertise in painting can give better input whether it would work or not on mirror housings.
Looks interesting but the problem with these mirrors is going to be the depth and surface area of the missing fake chrome. I think I will just order the replacement.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:23 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I did contact Jack at Pacific RV Mirrors and he was very responsive and gave me the part number of the mirror head. Unfortunately he couldn’t help. I am interested in the plating company in Melbourne, FL as we will be spending two weeks in Melbourne in April because my nephew lives there. I may also take a run up in February. Who disassembled the mirror for plating? Any idea on cost? I did find a new head for $500 and am considering that route.

On a side note, I have been puzzled by how this got damaged. We were taking a walk yesterday and my wife mentioned all the UPS and FEDEX trucks that were turning around in the driveway over the holidays. It is the only thing that makes any sense. They likely didn’t realize they contacted the mirror.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair