Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ventilation when stored

When my new coach is in my new uninsulated pole building, should I keep the coach vents or windows open for ventilation? The inside feels much cooler than the shed temp which is nice when I go in there. In Wisconsin we will see temps in the 90s with occasional high humidity this summer and the shed will be much warmer. I am wondering about condensation or moisture inside. This is all new to me and I don’t want mold or musty smells. Also, we are frequently below zero in the long winter. Vents and windows open, closed, or doesn’t matter? Coach is always plugged into 50 amp in the shed. Thanks for any of your wisdom!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vents open for sure and windows too if rain getting in isn't a problem.

Refrigerator doors open.

I keep water in my toilet bowls to keep the seals from drying out but don't know of that's a good idea in freezing weather.

Years ago I loaned a trailer to a guy while he built a house and he sealed it up tight. Had a heck of a time getting the mold off the inside.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:56 AM   #3

Since you do have shore power, best advice is to get a small house-type (30 pint) dehumidifier. Set it at 50% humidity. Put it on the kitchen counter draining into the sink OR in the shower.

Unless you have a reason, no need to open/vent it.

That will keep it dry enough that no mold or mildew but not so dry that is dries out the wood.

We have done this on all or motorhomes and sailboats.

Certainly, if one does not have shorepower, a completely different tactic is needed.

The small chemical-based moisture removers may make you feel good, but the regular dehumidifier will remove more in the first 24 hours than the chemical ones can remove/store in a lifetime. Said another way, not unusual for the house-type dehumidifier to remove 15+ pints in the first 24 hours. Then with coach closed up, much less thereafter.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #4

When mine is stored inside I open both vents and windows along with the entry door and the screen door shut. I am plugged into 50 amp, So I don’t empty my refrigerator. Also put a couple of containers of damp rid inside the coach and leave sink cabinets open to air.
Tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #5

I store my motorhome in a pole building and I keep all the roof vents open as well as one front and one back window. I leave them open year round even in the cold Northern Ontario winters. The fridge and bathroom doors are also kept open. I also keep my batteries disconnected when storing it. I have power available , but I do not plug in the motorhome unless we are getting ready to go camping.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the advice everyone. I can see opening things while storing for long periods in winter. I am still wondering about what to do during humid summer between trips. It may sit for a month at a time. Wouldn’t I keep the humidity out by keeping it closed?
Old 05-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We always keep the two roof vents open.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post
When my new coach is in my new uninsulated pole building, should I keep the coach vents or windows open for ventilation? The inside feels much cooler than the shed temp which is nice when I go in there. In Wisconsin we will see temps in the 90s with occasional high humidity this summer and the shed will be much warmer. I am wondering about condensation or moisture inside. This is all new to me and I don’t want mold or musty smells. Also, we are frequently below zero in the long winter. Vents and windows open, closed, or doesn’t matter? Coach is always plugged into 50 amp in the shed. Thanks for any of your wisdom!

We keep ours stored inside a pole barn . We live in the Pacific N. W.

So ....

Plug in the MH for power and battery charging.
Drain freshwater tank and HW tank

Summer high average 80° / 70% RH . It can get over 100° but only for a few days .
Storage routine is open roof vents and side windows and cabinet doors and refrigerator doors.
Pour Toilet Seal Lube in toilet to keep seal pliable and from drying out.

Winter average 40° / 95% RH . It can get down below 0° but only for a few days .
Storage is to close roof vents and install foam insulating pillows , leave one window slightly open and turn on an electric oil filled radiator to hold interior temp 10° above ambient temperature. Open cabinet doors and refrigerator doors . Fill P-traps and toilet bowl with RV Anti-freeze . Also put a couple gallons of RV Anti- freeze in both holding tanks. This way , if power goes out , the MH is protected from freezing.

This protocol also worked in Chicago when we lived there and should work in most climates.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #9

Lots of ways to store unit. In Houston I close it up but run a dehumidifier year round when not using. No Oder no mold. In saint louis we just cracked a couple windows on RV stored in enclosed barn.

Enjoy the journey

Tags
vent