Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 06:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysarin View Post
Hello all. I am currently in a situation with my recent purchase of a class A pusher. I am seeking advice as to what would be a fair option for both parties. I will try to explain it as simple as I can. I bought this rig with the understanding that the owner was going to have the generator repaired. Seems the mobile mechanic he used had a hard time to get it to run, he ended up throwing lots of parts at it, over $3k so he did attempt to make it right. On the day I went to pick it up the generator was in fact running and seem to have been running well So I did not hesitate so I paid him and took delivery. By the time I got home the generator was smoking beyond my belief. I called him he said its probably because it hasn't been run in so long. Well days went by weeks went by and problem did not go away and actually started to die after running for short periods of time. Then one day it would not start. Of course I talked to him he feels no responsibility. I have it a shop now they told me it has 2 dead cylinders. They found large amounts of starting fluid in the crankcase. Seem person who worked on it last attempted to start using a lot of starting fluid, that destroyed the engine.
Well a replacement generator is in the $12k range and to top it off backordered 6-9 months. My question or advice I am looking for is am wrong to think he is still responsible for it at the very least half. I feel bad it was not his fault he put his trust on the mobile mechanic. I don't see how I should be stuck with this entire bill for the generator. I am considering taking him to small claims court, I feel I dont have anything to loose. I would like to hear from anyone who may or may not have had any experiences with something like this.

We bought a used coach in 2019. I also purchased a Goodsam warranty on it. These warranties go into effect immediately upon purchase (no waiting period). If you had purchased one you would only be out the deductible. 2 months later we submitted a $5600 dollar claim and they paid it. Since then we had a $5200 dollar claim and they paid it. These warranties are paid monthly. No big upfront money.
I have used Goodsam on my last 3 coaches and they always pay the claim.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #44

Find a small engine mechanic to rebuild the motor. Parts are available, it’s pretty simple on most motors…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:05 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Starting fluid

I know my question is a little off track but I am curious about the starting fluid in the crankcase.

Starting fluids have a low flash point and evaporate very quickly. If I read correctly, the generator was run numerous times before the mechanic opened the block. Seems to me the small amount of starting fluid which bypassed the rings, ending up in the crankcase, should have evaporated immediately when the genny started.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:26 PM   #46

I would look at going after the mobile repair facility - if there is any state laws regarding warranty or repairs and/or if they get passed onto the new buyer. You are most likely out of luck with both the seller and the repair tech unless there is some warranty provided. If the repair tech has any licenses for certain work, and if anything regulated by the state, you could at least see if the mobile repair tech has any liability in your state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Leave the seller alone, this is your problem.

You live in Ca. and used vehicle sales are “as is” unless provisions are in writing. Seller made good faith attempt to repair. Generator ran at time of purchase. Both you and the seller believed the generator was repaired. You accepted the repair, sale was completed. End of seller’s responsibility.

From your description, the generator could have very well been properly repaired when you bought it, but it suffered internal damage from oil diluted by starting fluid. That damage was due to repeated running, and the seller had no control over that.

Get it repaired and move on.
tj_weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #47

Regarding the OP thinking about taking the seller to small claims court, do some research for your state. In Washington, even if you win your case, the court is not a collections agent and you will be out of luck - from personal experience!
Rocadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_weber View Post
I would look at going after the mobile repair facility
I think that would be a stretch since he is not their customer and never had any dealings with them. He would need copies of invoices etc from the seller.
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Was there a sales contract?
All I read from the OP was "an agreement".
Old 10-24-2021, 09:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Hello all. I am currently in a situation with my recent purchase of a class A pusher. I am seeking advice as to what would be a fair option for both parties. I will try to explain it as simple as I can. I bought this rig with the understanding that the owner was going to have the generator repaired. Seems the mobile mechanic he used had a hard time to get it to run, he ended up throwing lots of parts at it, over $3k so he did attempt to make it right. On the day I went to pick it up the generator was in fact running and seem to have been running well So I did not hesitate so I paid him and took delivery. By the time I got home the generator was smoking beyond my belief. I called him he said its probably because it hasn't been run in so long. Well days went by weeks went by and problem did not go away and actually started to die after running for short periods of time. Then one day it would not start. Of course I talked to him he feels no responsibility. I have it a shop now they told me it has 2 dead cylinders. They found large amounts of starting fluid in the crankcase. Seem person who worked on it last attempted to start using a lot of starting fluid, that destroyed the engine.
Well a replacement generator is in the $12k range and to top it off backordered 6-9 months. My question or advice I am looking for is am wrong to think he is still responsible for it at the very least half. I feel bad it was not his fault he put his trust on the mobile mechanic. I don't see how I should be stuck with this entire bill for the generator. I am considering taking him to small claims court, I feel I dont have anything to loose. I would like to hear from anyone who may or may not have had any experiences with something like this.
And large purchase should NEVER BE A VERBAL AGREEMENT. Used vehicles are always "as is" unless you get a queen contact. It is on you.

Do I think you got ripped off, YES, from my what you're mechanic found. Could you swing in court, A BIG MAYBE. This happens when buying from individuals.
Franey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizfreleng View Post
All I read from the OP was "an agreement".
A hand shake is not an agreement (contact) in the eyes of the law. He had no contract.
Franey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #52

Check with an attorney. You may have a warranty remedy under the Uniform Commercial Code in your state.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:14 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franey View Post
A hand shake is not an agreement (contact) in the eyes of the law. He had no contract.
Oral contracts are enforceable in all states except for the purchase of land.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #54

Sorry to hear your troubles. Unfortunately, this sounds like its was a private sale, and not a dealer sale.

If so, then once you pay and drive away, the seller has no legal responsibility for what happens to the vehicle. If it was a dealer sale, then you need to check your States laws regarding vehicle sale transactions. The generator issue may, or may not be covered.

The mobile mechanic may very well have severely shortened the life of the diesel generator using Ether starting fluid. The problem is proving the mobile mechanic did it, and not the previous owner.
I'll speculate the engine was failing already, the diagnostic and/or repair was performed incorrectly. Lastly, in an effort to "make" the engine run, starting fluid was used, and that action caused further damaged.

In the end, you will need to have that generator removed, and either repaired or replaced. The next option is to locate a good used diesel generator from a salvage yard, such as Visone.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLee View Post
Oral contracts are enforceable in all states except for the purchase of land.
Where did the seller warranty/guarantee the performance of the generator?

With any used object I buy, I would NEVER think of going back to the seller if it breaks... its USED...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Where did the seller warranty/guarantee the performance of the generator?

With any used object I buy, I would NEVER think of going back to the seller if it breaks... its USED...
Warranties can be implied. Every state has some version of the Uniform Commercial Code enacted into its statutes. The UCC has implied warranty provisions. I do not recall whether it applies to private sales. It has been a long time since I looked at the UCC, and it varies from state to state.That's why I suggested contacting an attorney in the state of purchase. Most attorneys will not charge for an initial consultation.

Tags
sell