Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #1

vibration driving me nuts

hello all i am new to this forum and aslo new to rving. i purchased a like new 2002 newmar moutian aire gas motorhome. it has 15000 miles on it i have been completely thought iit. shocks batteries tires, alaignment. have had the complete motorhome gone thu. hrer is the issue. at 54 to about 58 mph. there is a vibration. can feel it in stearing wheel seat gas petal you also feel it in the passenger seat. we have been through all the items that could cause the vibration. tires balance front end u joints harmonic balancer to no avail. now i have been told that it might be the driveshafts may need to be balanced, or the flywheel may have lose a weight. any input. ps i thought that flywheels were drilled to balance then. any input would be welcome. thanks doug
vettenut0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to get started, I would check the drive shaft by listening for a 'clunk' when going from forward to reverse. Should not be slack in the drive shaft(s).
Tires - check the DOT date code (last 4 numbers stamped on the tire after 'DOT') - if the tires are original (XX02 date) they are end of life. Or if the RV sat a long time the tires may need a good long trip to heat them.

P.S. What chassis - Ford or Workhorse.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #3

thanks for your reply. tires are new,driveshafts have been checked all tight. nothing loose in the front end, tires have been rebalanced also they moved tires from front to rear all with no change in the vibration.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #4

oops forgot its a workhorse chassis
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club

A clunking U-joint isn't necessarily an indication of an out of balance driveshaft, just loose or worn U-joints. If everything else in steering/alignment/tire and wheel balance has been inspected and eliminated, the next step would be driveshaft before going after the flywheel. I too thought they were drilled to balance.
I think your shop should be able to jack up the rear end and run the speed up to 58 mph. That should reveal the vibration if it's coming from the driveshaft.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pull the drive shafts and take to a driveline rebuilder. They will be able to spin in a lathe and add balance weights. Also check the U joints and make sure they are in time.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
RKL

Vibration driving me nuts

Ckassic symptom of an out of round tire..Front tires. May have to. Be trued after testing.. Jack front end and spin tires moving a piece of wood closer abd closer to rhe tire until it touches.. If it touches only certain points on the tire and not evenly, it needs truing...rkl
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenut0 View Post
hello all i am new to this forum and aslo new to rving. i purchased a like new 2002 newmar moutian aire gas motorhome. it has 15000 miles on it i have been completely thought iit. shocks batteries tires, alaignment. have had the complete motorhome gone thu. hrer is the issue. at 54 to about 58 mph. there is a vibration. can feel it in stearing wheel seat gas petal you also feel it in the passenger seat. we have been through all the items that could cause the vibration. tires balance front end u joints harmonic balancer to no avail. now i have been told that it might be the driveshafts may need to be balanced, or the flywheel may have lose a weight. any input. ps i thought that flywheels were drilled to balance then. any input would be welcome. thanks doug
Try driving it at the same rpm in a lower gear that equals your rpm condition of 54/58 in high gear. If you get the vibs at the same rpm but less speed it's engine related. If you don't then take it up to 54/58 in the lower gear. Assuming the vib returns that would prove the problem is speed related. meaning driveshaft, wheels, tires, rotors are suspect.

I would have someone elsewhere in the coach at speed and see if it is present, better, or worse towards the rear (I know, I know, some risk, but that is what I would do).
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Try driving it at the same rpm in a lower gear that equals your rpm condition of 54/58 in high gear. If you get the vibs at the same rpm but less speed it's engine related. If you don't then take it up to 54/58 in the lower gear. Assuming the vib returns that would prove the problem is speed related. meaning driveshaft, wheels, tires, rotors are suspect.

I would have someone elsewhere in the coach at speed and see if it is present, better, or worse towards the rear (I know, I know, some risk, but that is what I would do).
X-2

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Pull the drive shafts and take to a driveline rebuilder. They will be able to spin in a lathe and add balance weights. Also check the U joints and make sure they are in time.
A lot of people don't believe there is any such thing as U joint timing. I guarantee you there is! If the joints are out of phase, you'll get vibration. After a while, a yoke or something else will break.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
A lot of people don't believe there is any such thing as U joint timing. I guarantee you there is! If the joints are out of phase, you'll get vibration. After a while, a yoke or something else will break.

Absolutely
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
That is a good point. This can happen if the driveline was removed and put back on with the yokes not lined up.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
If it has a two piece drive shaft then the center support bearing should be checked too.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
That is a good point. This can happen if the driveline was removed and put back on with the yokes not lined up.
That is true but with that problem it will complain at most any and all speeds.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibration