Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2022, 06:43 PM   #1
DMD

Vinyl Floor Cracked

I have no idea why this vinyl floor cracked; do any of you? The crack is not straight, like a seam in the wood could facilitate, but I don’t see any seam in the area where it cracked anyway. The MH has sat out in intermittent zero degree temps for many years (as our fmr trailer did for over 20 years), without any harm to the vinyl. As we look for new vinyl, is there one type that is better than others for an RV that sits outside? What can we do to avoid this happening again? Thanks much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked Floor IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	670.0 KB
ID:	359250  
DMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #2

Can you see if there is moisture under there ? Regardless, 20 years is a while for an RV that does in fact twist and creak and groan. Vinyl is tough but freezing can get to it. I suggest, if your budget can take it, look at ripping that out and updating with snap together plank flooring. It's a real improvement. In some cases, you can go right on top of that product depending on slides etc. Holy buckets though, that is a huge crack just hope that wasn't wet under there.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like it just got old and brittle, especially if it was exposed to those temps.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:46 PM   #4
DMD

The OSB looks dry under there. There must be many RVs in this same climate that are older than this one, I've never heard of this happening before. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:15 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Linoleum flooring can become brittle over time. With the expansion and contraction in varying temperatures, the tile eventually cracked on the line of least resistance. If the substrate is good it should be an easy replacment.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:23 PM   #6

Rv manufacturers aren’t known for installing top quality products.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:58 AM   #7

Not being glued very well in center area , allowed it to buckle while contracting.
You will probably save money with vinyl plank if your not wanting to seam the vinyl . If you screw up a plank no big deal you might be able use it even. Years ago I priced vinyl for bathroom , it was cheaper use decent tile , rent a saw and have spare tiles. I didn't have to pay for large amounts of waste.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:48 AM   #8
DMD

Thanks for all of your replies. This may have, indeed, been a cheap quality vinyl from the start; I don't know one from another. I was planning on replacing all of the vinyl, even into the bathroom, because otherwise it may crack next. I hadn't heard of vinyl plank before. I'll be talking to the vinyl sellers as the outside temp gets warm enough for the glue to work well. Thanks again, I appreciate all comments.

Tags
floor, vinyl