Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #1

Voltage Surge Damage!

Retired, moved back to Florida, purchased a 2016 Newmar Dutch Star in 2020 and Covid hit. One of the first items I purchased was Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X surge protector. Our RV is parked in an RV Port attached to our home and plugged into 50amp service. We have a Florida Power & Light Surge Protector on the main feed for the house. No cable TV or phone connected to the motorhome. We are getting ready for our first big trip. My wife goes out to the MH and informs me that the refrigerator is not on! (It gets worse, please read on)
A quick check reveals the following:
1) FP&L surge protector is still operational.
2) PI surge protector has one leg 110V, and one leg "0 volts." I remove and plug the coach directly into my 50 amp outlet.
3) No power to Fridge, no power to microwave, I have power to induction cooktop & both AC units. All 110 outlets in coach no power. No power to TV's
4) Magnum Energy ME-RC Monitor has given me several different error codes.
'Dead Battery Charge", "Low Battery" "No Invertor Communication"
"AC Backfeed" "Stuck Relay" Have done a manual reset.
5) Magnum MS Series Inverter/Charger Model MS2812. Power light not on
6) I have checked all GFCI in coach.
7) Good friend & fellow RVer did find located off the house batteries the Littlefuse JLLB 350V "fast acting" fuse has voltage on one side, and no voltage on the other. Ordered replacement, 1 week before it arrives.

My questions: 1)Trying to locate a wiring diagram for my coach. I have searched the "NEWGLE IT" (Newmar's knowledge base and have not had any luck" Any suggestions?
2) Any chance that the "Littlefuse" prevented the power surge from damaging my invertor?
3) Has anyone had a similar event?

Your help is appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9031.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	367295
YogiBearMD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2022, 04:05 PM   #2

Check the plug on your shore cable. Wire came loose on one leg of mine last year and some things worked and some things didn't. I only realized what it was when I saw a flash of it arcing inside the plastic cover of the 50A plug.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:08 PM   #3

I would start with a multimeter and check the power source first.

Check both legs of the 50 amp and make sure you have 110 coming from each. (should be black and red wires)

2nd I would try the generator to see if it gets everything going
Old 06-02-2022, 04:10 PM   #4

Voltage Surge Damage!

Could be a loose wire in transfer switch. I’m kinda doubtful it was a voltage surge that caused this.

Do you have a power cord reel? Also common for one of the brushes in the power cord reel to fail and then you lose one leg of power.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #5

Do you run the air conditioners when you're on the power from the house ?

Dehumidifier ? any high amp draw item that may have been on ( an inverted circuit ) during a power outage of brown out ?

A possibility to explain the 350 amp fuse blown .

A high amp draw item running on an inverted circuit ; there's a sort power failure or brown out ; surge guard disconnects , inverter switches from battery charging to inverting ; all coach internal 120 volt circuits powered from the inverter come on and load exceeds the capacity of the inverter . 350 amp fuse blows to protect inverter before load sheading can take place .

That's my story ; and I'm sticking to it.

I do hope you ordered two fuses .
Old 06-02-2022, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Do you run the air conditioners when you're on the power from the house ?

Dehumidifier ? any high amp draw item that may have been on ( an inverted circuit ) during a power outage of brown out ?

A possibility to explain the 350 amp fuse blown .

A high amp draw item running on an inverted circuit ; there's a sort power failure or brown out ; surge guard disconnects , inverter switches from battery charging to inverting ; all coach internal 120 volt circuits powered from the inverter come on and load exceeds the capacity of the inverter . 350 amp fuse blows to protect inverter before load sheading can take place .

That's my story ; and I'm sticking to it.

I do hope you ordered two fuses .
Sounds logical to me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Both your induction cooktop and roof A/C's are powered directly from shore power. They're the two things that don't go through the inverter, along with your dishwasher. Your issue is the Magnum Inverter. That fuse you ordered is typically available at most big box stores.

You need to throw a battery charger on the coach batteries while waiting to install the fuse. Your inverter will not fire back up with dead batteries.

At some point you lost power to the coach and killed the batteries.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:40 AM   #8

First: THANK YOU !! everyone for your support!

Dutch Star Dan: House Batteries all have tested OK. This adds to my concerns with the fault readings from the Magnum Energy Remote Control Panel of "Dead Battery' ?

Skip 426: YES, I do run my A/C when connecting to the 50 amp house power.
YIKES! I will place an order for second 350 fuse.: I will keep my fingers crossed that the invertor was protected. I will let you know when I get the fuse replaced next week.

Pasdad1: I do have a power cord reel. I will check.

Theturboman: I checked the power source Everything OK. Ran the generator for 15 min. No change.

Cam Jam 1: One of the first things I did was to check to plug on my 50amp plug on my home. It was good. thanks!

Again Thank you everyone for your quick response: This is our first DP and was a HUGE investment for us.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:47 AM   #9

Things always break … it’s expected. You just don’t know in advance what it will be next time

Agreed this is a single leg having blown that fuse … and that you just don’t really know why. Could have been a brownout/overload thing, or could be a specific bad appliance where the circuit breaker did not do its thing.

Sooo…. When you get that fuse replaced, you might try the following: turn off ALL the breakers (including the main). Then turn them all on one by one, checking continuity through that breaker as you go. That way, if it does fry again, you have some information as to which circuit contains a bad component (if there is a bad component…)
Old 06-06-2022, 10:25 AM   #10

MN,
Thank you! SOO- I wish I had read your very good advice 24hrs prior. Prior to replacing the Littlefuse 350v, I shut down the fuses for the main, the Invertor, the microwave, fridge, and AC units. Then replaced the fuse. After that, I do not remember what breakers in conjunction with the main that I switched on. I do remember the microwave "chime" when it powers up. AC units were still off at the thermostat. I did a quick check of the 350V fuse only to realize it is once again fried! Back to the RV service center to order two more fuses. Good news is that we live at "The Great Outdoors" in Titusville FL. and are blessed to have a service center located on-site here. BAD NEWS they are so backed up with service orders, that their wait is 3 weeks. I drive by their lot every day and look at all the beautiful RVs, many much more expensive than ours sitting there for weeks waiting for service. It may be a better investment for me to let the experts work on our coach.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Did anybody notice this??
“…2) PI surge protector has one leg 110V, and one leg "0 volts." I remove and plug the coach directly into my 50 amp outlet…”
I can’t find anywhere in the comments where the missing leg on the shore power circuit got investigated and resolved. Until that happens nothing else matters.
“House batteries have all checked OK”. By whom? How? When?
The 350 AMP (not volt) fuse has nothing to do with the 120V systems, it’s between the batteries and the 12VDC feed to the inverter. Also, how are you checking the fuse to determine that it is blown? Do you have a multimeter?
My guess is that the Inverter has popped the 30Amp “button” circuit breaker that is located on the side of the inverter and that’s why you are getting all kinds of faults on the inverter remote control panel. This could be caused by something that is powered by the inverter drawing way more than 30 Amps AC. Why the PI surge guard is showing no voltage on one leg is a mystery.
I would suggest a more methodical approach to trouble shooting.

<Edit> I re-read the OP and see that the fuse was checked with a voltmeter. While it was blown, the inverter/converter was not charging the house batteries so I can’t imaging that they would not have been dead.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:17 PM   #12

In your OP, $7 is the most interesting part.

The batteries are on the hot side of the fuse. Where does the wire go from the cold side of the fuse? To the inverter, or somewhere else?
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #13

Power reals are a big problem. I had one with a fifth wheel. I found a l loose hot and a very loose to almost open neutral. The connections are found in the center of the spool. You must fully unwind the power cord to access the center panel. Check the connections. Do unplug prior to doing this. I used Lockte on top of the nuts prior to torquing and then GC electronics silicone to stake the nuts in place. This silicone will not eat into the metal like other silicone.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:01 AM   #14

Ahh well. You will get there!