Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh5185 View Post
Actually, the engine light that stayed on is the “image” of the engine. The DW keeps starting the engine, without regard for the “wait to start” message to disappear. The fault code confirmed why the engine light remained on. What I should have asked is, how many start cycles does it take to eliminate the light. Freightliner could not answer that.

This makes things very clear^^.

It does sound like the "image" light (check engine, CEL) was tripped due to the failure to allow for the "Wait to Start" light to go out. If I remember correctly, only from reading, it may take around 10-11 correct start cycles to extinguish the CEL. You might also try disconnecting all battery power, via cable disconnection not switches, for a few minutes and then re-connect. That may clear/reboot the computer and clear the light. Finally, you could also visit a shop that will clear the code.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Actually, the engine light that stayed on is the “image” of the engine. The DW keeps starting the engine, without regard for the “wait to start” message to disappear. The fault code confirmed why the engine light remained on. What I should have asked is, how many start cycles does it take to eliminate the light. Freightliner could not answer that.
Depends on the model year. H-D OBD standards which are included in the tier 4 final emission standards, will extinguish check engine light after 3 complete drive cycles without the fault not recurring. A drive cycle is from cold to fully warmed-up to fully cold again.
But there is way around the drive cycles, 3 key on (wait to start light goes out) to off can reset it. I have not tried the 3 key on yet to verify.

The main reason for the wait to start light is to allow time for all the control modules on the data link to fully boot-up and start communicating.
Caliber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #17

For the impatient amongst us....

Using your block heater drastically reduces "wait to start time".....

I use my block heater when the mercury goes into the low 50's and below, for a variety of reasons. The one above is just a bonus.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
Depends on the model year. H-D OBD standards which are included in the tier 4 final emission standards, will extinguish check engine light after 3 complete drive cycles without the fault not recurring. A drive cycle is from cold to fully warmed-up to fully cold again.
But there is way around the drive cycles, 3 key on (wait to start light goes out) to off can reset it. I have not tried the 3 key on yet to verify.

The main reason for the wait to start light is to allow time for all the control modules on the data link to fully boot-up and start communicating.

Thanks!
dh5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
For the impatient amongst us....

Using your block heater drastically reduces "wait to start time".....

I use my block heater when the mercury goes into the low 50's and below, for a variety of reasons. The one above is just a bonus.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2019, 04:49 AM   #20

Thanks for all of the replies! Great info.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Your situation truly makes the case for push button start

It has been a really nice feature and the timing depends on the ambient temperature. I switch on the engine block heater around 30 and when dry camping you just have to wait a bit longer or start the generator and use the block heater for an hour or two to reduce the wait time. It is only seconds but seems longer when holding in the button.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This is a common Freightliner issue and has been going on since at east 2014 and now on my 2019. When you turn the key on, all of the idiot lights will illuminate and tell you that they're working. If it's cold out, the "Wait to Start" light will illuminate. The YELLOW "Check Engine" light will stay illuminated for about 20 seconds or so, even after the "Wait to Start" light is off. Apparently, the YELLOW "Check Engine" light stays on until all of the various computers talk to each other......then the "Check Engine" light will go out.

If you DON'T wait for the YELLOW light to turn off and start the engine, it will start and run fine, but will often throw a code a few miles down the road, turning the YELLOW "Check Engine" light back on. It will eventually go out after a few starts.

Sooooo….if you own a newer Freightliner, wait for the YELLOW "Check Engine" light to go out. I can't say for sure this is an issue on all Freightliners, but it is on the Newmar Dutch Stars with the Freightliner chassis.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Not all engines have a wait to start light, my DD does not have one. If cold, my manual says to use the eng heat if 50 or lower. I do that, and all the time, even if warm, I wait until all the bells and whistles are quiet and the gauges have made their sweep of all the way to the right, then back.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The YELLOW "Check Engine" light will stay illuminated for about 20 seconds or so, even after the "Wait to Start" light is off. Apparently, the YELLOW "Check Engine" light stays on until all of the various computers talk to each other......then the "Check Engine" light will go out.

If you DON'T wait for the YELLOW light to turn off and start the engine, it will start and run fine, but will often throw a code a few miles down the road, turning the YELLOW "Check Engine" light back on. It will eventually go out after a few starts.
Interesting. CEL didn't stay on before, but it has started doing that. Or, I never noticed it before, but I do tend to notice things like that.

I have been starting after the glow light goes out, and the engine light went away on startup and I have not seen re-occurrences driving.

But, I will heed your words and wait for the CEL to extinguish . It can't hurt.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 03-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"oscarvan".....Often, you get use to seeing all the idiot lights go on and then off at start up and don't typically look to see the CEL is still on. The tilt wheel can also be in the way. My guess.....if you look, it will be on. If you stop and restart within a few minutes, it doesn't always come on. I know this is something that everyone on the Newmar forum is aware of and waits for.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"oscarvan".....Often, you get use to seeing all the idiot lights go on and then off at start up and don't typically look to see the CEL is still on. The tilt wheel can also be in the way. My guess.....if you look, it will be on. If you stop and restart within a few minutes, it doesn't always come on. I know this is something that everyone on the Newmar forum is aware of and waits for.
Very possible although as a professional aviator I am trained to notice "little lights"..... And, since I try to do all of my own maintenance they get my attention, especially a CEL. And I HAVE been noticing it.... just don't recall it doing that before.. Then again, not getting any younger things slip through the cracks.

I'll be watching it.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I looked at your dragonship blog. Holy cow that's a pretty impressive blog.

How long did it take you to make it?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I looked at your dragonship blog. Holy cow that's a pretty impressive blog.

How long did it take you to make it?

Agreed!!

Very nice, Oscar.

Tags
engine, light