Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #43

I like Janet H's suggestion. Perhaps some campers will even invite you into their rigs to show you around. Excellent suggestion Janet!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
I'll double down on that.

The DW has gotten so spoiled always having her own bathroom close by, that she all but refuses to do a road trip in the car. She doesn't care how much the additional fuel cost. She wants her bathroom!
My DW feels the same. Its all about that clean bed and bathroom.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #45

Reluctant RV wife here again.

Driving through campgrounds was one of the things that turned me off of RVing more than anything and a clean bed and bath are great, but I have to clean the bathroom and make the bed! That's part of what what I didn't want to get into.

What convinced and converted me was:

- the relaxed atmosphere of this type of travel. Not having to be somewhere or find a place to eat 3 meals a day. And that only made a difference once I experienced it. Because I have to cook those meals. (As I said before, try renting one and a really nice one)

- the ability to leave the heat of our desert in the summer for the entire summer, not just weeks.

- the consideration that this is our summer home. One that isn't just in one place and that provides the ability to spend long stretches of time in different places every time.

- and, oh, I refuse to call it camping. I used to camp in a tent, sleep on the ground, cook outside over a fire, wash dishes in a bucket. That isn't this. This is my house parked somewhere different, seeing something I haven't seen. But I'm in the comfort of my own home.

Everyone's needs/wants/dreams are different. How an RV will work for anyone is different. You need to find those areas and explore them.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #46

Oh jeez, I forgot one of the most important things!

I can visit my kids and grand kids without staying in their house. I can stay longer, get away when I need to, give them their space, and we have ours. I see my grand kids now, more than I ever did. And I don't have to watch spongebob square pants over and over and over and over and over.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #47

Read full timers blogs!!
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #48
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Clearly, it's not for everyone as many just don't want to cook and clean house. They don't view that as a vacation.

The late Gaylord Maxwell as part of his fulltimers seminar (applicable to part timmers too) stated; "A traveling couple needs to best friends and really enjoy each other's company as you are always within shouting distance and frequently with striking distance of each other".

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
We traveled for 18 years with our business. When we retired the last thing we wanted to see was long lines or another canceled flight at the airport, or expensive hotels that had bedbugs. That was 13 years ago....never though DW would like it much and would only last a couple of year like the boats did....SHE just ordered our new 42 ft Entegra. As she says..."you have never seen how beautiful this country is until you see it from the large windshield of a motor home" BTW, She also has a Lexus GX 470

There is a group of RVers that are doing just what your DW wants to do, they have a web site and even meet up at different parks for games. I have run into a couple of them along our travels and it sounds like a ball. I can't remember the name of the group but I have one of their cards up at the MH.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
I'll double down on that.

The DW has gotten so spoiled always having her own bathroom close by, that she all but refuses to do a road trip in the car. She doesn't care how much the additional fuel cost. She wants her bathroom!
I hear that..my DW just ordered the TWO bath model Entegra. She even wants her own bath in the MH. I have to admit, I am going to like it too. Now I will be able to find "my stuff" where I left it.

To the OP, we are like you, we live in FL and get out of here in the summer. Our trips 10 years ago started off 1-2 months only to come home in 95 degree weather to unload and sweat... then sit inside with A/C for another 2 months. We thought WHY? Now we follow the fall colors home (fantastic!) and have just ordered our new MH with a fireplace to enjoy it even more.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertnspike View Post
Since your wife is already somewhat resistant, I would suggest you rent the biggest, most luxurious RV you can find and afford for your first trip. As for her car, you can always tow it, either on a 2-wheel dolly or a trailer. For your first trip, leave the car behind and rent one at your destination if you need to.

There is a LOT to be said for having your own bed, bathroom, and kitchen. Camping in an RV is as complicated or simple as you make it. Any restaurant that delivers wherever you are will also deliver to the RV parks. Most RV parks near attractions are also near the best restaurants and shopping. The biggest difference between RV parks and hotels, IMHO, is no one comes to make the bed for you & no shared walls.

You probably won't save a lot of money traveling by RV, because what you don't spend on hotels and dining out will be spent on fuel, but you'll have a LOT more fun and be a LOT more comfortable.

Susan
I have to agree with you . I took the family for a weekend trip in July with a rental rv . We loved it and a month later I bought a used motorhome .
caplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Oh jeez, I forgot one of the most important things!
And I don't have to watch spongebob square pants over and over and over and over and over.
I hear ya. We babysat our grandson while daughter worked and finished college and just when we thought we were done, daughter pops out another baby and here comes SpongeBob again. Least he's less annoying then mutant turtles.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Many great comments.
I bought my first MH at age 66 and had a lot to learn about all the systems in a DP so if you are physically capable age is not a factor but mechanical handyman aptitude sure helps. This forum has been invaluable to my learning everything from how to drive a DP to how to use the systems properly as well as how to take care of it.

It sounds like it could be a tough sell and may not be worth the effort trying to convince someone who is resistant to the idea. but saving the money for grand kids should not be a factor. If you have enough for what you want to do and plenty left over, that's great, but you should not sacrifice yourself.

BTW you can't flat tow the Lexus. I have one that I leave at home when on a trip and got a CR-V for a Toad.

You came to the right place for the question but keep in my mind we are all biased based on what we do.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #54

We bought our first MH when I retired last year. I have some medical issue so my 56 years old feels like 86 most days. That said we were in Elkhart last week and had to stay in a hotel one night while a few minor items were fixed. DW and I both said how happy we were to have our home back. It was a nice hotel but not my TP mattress and it was creepy sleeping in someone else bed. We just weren't home. We can drive 20 miles in a day or 300 and always have a place to stay. Good luck hope to see you on the road.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #55

You already know that the bed & bath are high on many lists. And the access for a cup of coffee or snack as one travels.

It was mentioned that your vehicle can't be towed 4 down. We tow my '06 Jetta TDI on a Demco Car Caddy SS. When we started RVing in '09, we weren't sure of wanting to have the Jetta retrofitted to tow 4 down so we went with the dolly. We had considered trading the Jetta, but averaging 45mpg we decided to keep her - plus she's paid for!

Part of our travels included 2 trips to Juneau, Alaska to work the season in 2010 & 2011. So, we lived in our RV for 5 months. As you well know, many people live fulltime in their RVs. At the time, we were in our 31' Class A. We also had our 3 cats with us.

We now have a new 37' A. We aren't planning another lengthy stay in Alaska but are appreciating the extra room. We like the floor plan and the larger sofa from the 31'.

I list all of this so you know it's possible to enjoy your time together for several months out. You will have the benefit of moving you home on wheels as you want. With an RV, if the weather report shows upcoming storms, you are in a position to leave as you want - before the storm or wait it out.

We love our S&B, and we love our home on wheels. The RV offers visits to families without being underfoot. In ABQ I can stay 6 weeks just a few blocks away from my m-i-l! We have several adult children that live in FL. When we stay in our RV no one can say "why aren't you staying with us?" There are no favorites!

I love the travel. And the view from the big window! Oh! How much more one can see from the seat in the RV!

Keep us posted. You have plenty of country to see that will be cooler than AZ in the summer. Make your list! Obviously, baseball parks will be on there! Leave space on the list to add more places!

Looking forward to meeting you somewhere out on the road.
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #56

Well said 3catstravel! To the OP, that's just about sums it up.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving