Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
Actually it works 99 percent of the time. In college I learned many parking scams. I used to fake being an elevator inspector and just parked on the grass right in front of my classes. I even bought an old Dodge 3500 Ram van at the university auction for $350.00 and kept the logos and parked freely on campus. Suckers!!
I am sure that there are not any other people with the same attitude of yours driving motor homes. I am sure if there were a lot of them they would probably upset towns and business establishments to enact
harsh laws and regulations preventing overnight parking for RV's that need a place just to stop and sleep. Oh yeah there are such laws but I am sure that people like you and others had nothing to do with getting those laws and policies put in place.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomasze View Post
So we are close to purchasing our very first motorhome. #1 on the list is a 32ft gasser, Winnebago Adventurer. We believe our use will be as travelers mostly, and with car in tow.

My question, you are on route to a destination, and you cruise into a interesting town or POI. I hope to travel the back roads. Is it difficult to find a place to park the rig and visit the area? Or do you just need to find a campsite and travel back to the POI?
I am not familiar with the Winnebago how tall is it. I use a Rand McNally GPS that monitors your prospective route to warn you if there are any low bridges on it. I realize you are only looking at a 32 foot length but sometimes it is hard to turn around and you do not want to be backing a long ways down the road because you could not get under an overpass or bridge.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #17

How do I know not to drive into an area with no visible exit?

1. As a new motorhome owner, driving through a parking lot at the Marriott resort in the lake of the Ozarks with a car trailer in tow, and ending up on the (very large) boat dock - facing the water...

2. Thinking it's an easier route to the highway if we just drive around this motel, and having to back around three 90 degree corners, with a car trailer, since the driveway didn't go all the way around the building.

3. Giving up finding the campground when the roads became increasingly smaller, and tearing the black water connection pipe off when turning around in a farm field

4, 5 etc. There are more instances, but I think I have finally learned.

Quote:
I'll bite.....how do you know?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
Old 12-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Me parking in New Orleans one block off Bourbon. I carry cones. I actually got away with this for 2 days. No one even questioned it. Make it look like you belong and usually you can get away with it. (Not me in the pics. Just random people)

This is one of my best parking capers so far!!
Wow, it looks like you used the entire street, is that the other curb right behind you?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #19

Quote:
So we are close to purchasing our very first motorhome. #1 on the list is a 32ft gasser, Winnebago Adventurer. We believe our use will be as travelers mostly, and with car in tow. My question, you are on route to a destination, and you cruise into a interesting town or POI. I hope to travel the back roads. Is it difficult to find a place to park the rig and visit the area? Or do you just need to find a campsite and travel back to the POI?
There are usually places to park for exploring. Having a Toad gives you more freedom, as you can park in a large lot with the MH.
But usually there are many things to see in one area. The joy of camping for a few days and exploring at a leisurely pace is fantastic!

There are to many places to park properly rather than being a scawflaw.
I think H. L. Mencken said it best: "The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has not been caught."
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 12-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

I think H. L. Mencken said it best: "The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has not been caught."
Well said.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP - you have received some good advice and some other advice. There are always places to park somewhere near POIs. The toad is there for a reason. If you need it use it. Probably a 20 minute turn key operation.

Mencken is one of my favorite writers. He also said.... "There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong."
Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
So assuming you don't get caught or the lawyers bill is low enough - where do you draw the line. Inquiring minds want to known how a big of an ....... we're dealing with.
I never block traffic or fire hydrants. If asked to move I politely move. Rarely does anyone inquire. I'm not worried about lawyer bills. Lol. The worst thats going to happen is a ticket. Like I showed in the photo the ticket in Savannah was 10 bucks and I paid it in person before I left.

I do some research first...and have my fav parking spots.

I just spent 2 days parked along the curb in Denver at the Four Seasons. Not one police office.....and there were many bc its downtown.....bothered to stop.

If what I was doing was so egregious the ticket in savannah would be more than 10 bucks and the police would be banging on my door. The fact it doesn't happen is proof its not a big deal.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
Wow, it looks like you used the entire street, is that the other curb right behind you?
That's a section of metal crowd fencing I carry because I have two slides that extend on the drivers side. I didn't block any traffic flow. No one was inconvenienced.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
In my life when going to a show, most people watch it from the theater seating......where it is dim lit, I have never tried to watch a show from the stage.......
Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
There are usually places to park for exploring. Having a Toad gives you more freedom, as you can park in a large lot with the MH. But usually there are many things to see in one area. The joy of camping for a few days and exploring at a leisurely pace is fantastic! There are to many places to park properly rather than being a scawflaw. I think H. L. Mencken said it best: "The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the latter regrets a discreditable act, even when it has worked and he has not been caught."
I hardly consider myself immoral and I hardly consider the places I have parked a "discreditable act" in any way, shape or form. I consider myself creative. I have never parked to the point I feel like I am blocking others or traffic.

I don't really pay attention to laws that much. We as a society have laws that are totally wrong and immoral. We have laws making dislike able acts totally legal. We used to have laws based on the pigment of someone's skin or gender.

I live my life by my own personal code. Obviously there are laws I must follow.....no desire to go to jail. However, just because something is legal doesn't in any way make it right or acceptable and just because something is illegal doesn't make it wrong morally.

Anyone smoke a joint? Ever. Is that immoral? (Rhetorical question.....no trying to go all political here)

I didn't stop to help the Amish guy fix his broken wagon wheel but in Indiana thats a law.......anyone with a broken wagon wheel you must stop and help. (He had help already, wasn't in danger and being that its a wagon wheel and I can't drive a nail into wood I'd be no help at all.). The cops didn't come to my door and book me for not helping a guy fix a wagon wheel. Is that immoral?

While driving on I 95 I saw a women fall or get pushed out of a Buick at 70mph in the rain and the poor trucker ahead of me hit her and drag her a good 100 feet or more till he could stop.

Not one of the two dozen onlookers would go and touch the woman that fell out of the car. I grabbed latex gloves from my coach and went to do CPR. It didn't help but its pretty tough to judge a person as immoral because I park creatively.

I shared this because I say enjoy your RV and think outside the box when parking. In savannah If what I did was sooooo bad you'd think the ticket would be more than 10 bucks for a 42.5 coach. I'd suggest they are totally cool w RVs parking like that or else the ticket you be more. Running the Genny after dark is 250 bucks for a ticket. No I didn't run my Genny after dark. Charged up during the day and shut it off around 5pm ish.

I spent a boat load of money of food and drinks in both Nola and Savannah / Denver while there so I'd suggest those local businesses benefitted from my parking substantially.

Anyone, I stick by park like you own the place.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
OP - you have received some good advice and some other advice. There are always places to park somewhere near POIs. The toad is there for a reason. If you need it use it. Probably a 20 minute turn key operation. Mencken is one of my favorite writers. He also said.... "There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong."
I really don't see what I have done as wrong. I know folks are aghast. If you study the Nola photo thats Decatur Street, one block off Bourbon, and the building I parked I front of is for rent and vacant. You can see the sign in the pic. Its not like I blocked a mom and pop bar or store.

I use Decatur because of its proximity to Bourbon but also its a very w-I-d-e street so I can get all my slides out and not block traffic.

I didn't harm anyone and no police were concerned. What's the big deal?
Old 12-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We seem to be straying off topic.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 12-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #28

Back on topic. We have a 29 ft motorhome and 23 ft. race car trailer, like to stop in interesting small towns, and can usually find parking locations on the side of a street - even while taking several spots. Sometimes side streets are better but we always use designated parking spots. For POI parking, you need to have a quick look for parking when you approach the area; sometime we need to bypass the attraction. You will get a better feel parking your rig as you travel (and it can be done without being "arrogant or audacious").

Quote:
So we are close to purchasing our very first motorhome. #1 on the list is a 32ft gasser, Winnebago Adventurer. We believe our use will be as travelers mostly, and with car in tow.

My question, you are on route to a destination, and you cruise into a interesting town or POI. I hope to travel the back roads. Is it difficult to find a place to park the rig and visit the area? Or do you just need to find a campsite and travel back to the POI?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
Closed Thread

Tags
travel