Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #1

want to add another light switch

Does anyone know how to wire up a new light switch for a new 12v- 1156 socket? I want to light up my grab handle outside. I'm not sure I can do this. The 1156 socket only has the hot wire and ground wire. I really want to be able to light it up by itself if I can with the switch. Any help would be great. Thanks.
fryman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
12v power to one side of switch-other side of switch to one side of bulb-other side of bulb to grd.....
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

Sounds good. I will give that a shot. thanks again.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
...or you can switch the ground side if its more convenient.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman62 View Post
Does anyone know how to wire up a new light switch for a new 12v- 1156 socket? I want to light up my grab handle outside. I'm not sure I can do this. The 1156 socket only has the hot wire and ground wire. I really want to be able to light it up by itself if I can with the switch. Any help would be great. Thanks.
I completed the project you're contemplating a few years ago. The grab handle on my Winnie didn't come lighted but I thought it was a nice touch and wanted to do it.

I bought a lighted, 12v rocker switch from Radio Shack. I installed it on the control panel just to the right of the copilot seat. I tapped in to the 12v from a "lighter socket" housed in the same panel.

I had to remove the grab handle and drill a small hole through the wall in to the coach interior behind the panel with the new rocker switch.

I didn't use the 1156 socket. I'm not sure how I would make that fit inside the grab handle housing. Instead, I bought the OEM light designed to fit inside the handle housing. The one I bought was from a Monaco dealer but I think they're pretty standard size. It cost about $12 as I recall.

It's worked well for three years now... except the lighted feature of the Radio Shack rocker switch quit working.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

I did the same thing to a Jayco I had but an 1157 is pretty bright... I used a smaller side marker light instead. I was worried about heat in such an enclosed space. If I were to do it again, I would use a blue led light to prevent a heat issue. I just ran a 2 wire lead from an existing switch where black was ground and red was +12. I switched the +12 volts. I drilled a hole in the fiberglass skin under the handle mount, pulled the wires through it and calked it up good and put it back togeather. Worked great!
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you will find a 1156 is a bit . .. er.. much in that job, My handle has a single LED from Radio Shack (Fraction of a watt, the 1156 is like 25 or more)

Ground-- (net)Battery(pos)----Fuse----Switch----Lamp---Ground

The Neg and Pos refer to the - and + sides of the battery.
Ground is the chassis.

Try a smaller lamp first

Or use an LED type.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #8

I bought this and this 9-Led bulb I want to put it beside my other two light switches with it's own switch by my entry stairs with this light switch Can I tie into the other switch for power and run my ground wire from the socket straight to the chassis ground?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman62 View Post
I bought this and this 9-Led bulb I want to put it beside my other two light switches with it's own switch by my entry stairs with this light switch Can I tie into the other switch for power and run my ground wire from the socket straight to the chassis ground?
Whether you can tie into the existing power would depend on how much load is already on the circuit. I'd guess you'll be OK, but if that circuit is already close to max with its other loads, you might start burning fuses.

You can ground to anywhere that is grounded. Typically any metal part that is connected to the chassis. The socket you chose is designed to be grounded by way of its mounting base. You will have to run a wire from there if the base does not screw down to a metal chassis component.

And when you finish this project, your grab handle is gonna be able to be seen from the space station.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #10

Since that bulb only draws 0.03Amp, pretty sure you're not going to overload any 12V source you find convenient. So, yes, you can tie into the 12V of the other switch. Ground the bulbs case to anywhere you find metal attached to the chassis.

If it's too bright, you can add a resistor in the hot lead to the LED bulb...for half brightness, use a 220 ohm, 1/4Watt resistor.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Our's is connected to the same switch that turns on/off the "Outside Over The Door"
convenience light. Both go on and off together.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #12

Thanks everybody!! I will take the advice and give it a go. I'll let you know how it turned out.....