Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2022, 06:53 AM   #1

Want to change the big light fixtures for LED type

Our eyes are needing more light in the motorhome now. I tried just swapping for 1156 type LED's, and yes, they are a little brighter and the color temp is alright, but it's not enough light. We have the standard Winnebago ceiling lights 9-10" long with 2 bulbs. Does somebody make replacements with more than just 2 bulbs, and do they make any that are dimmable? I know, I don't want much. Just asking. We're likely to be living in the MH for several months and I'd like to start the trip out right. Anybody have suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 07:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallant205 View Post
Our eyes are needing more light in the motorhome now. I tried just swapping for 1156 type LED's, and yes, they are a little brighter and the color temp is alright, but it's not enough light. We have the standard Winnebago ceiling lights 9-10" long with 2 bulbs. Does somebody make replacements with more than just 2 bulbs, and do they make any that are dimmable? I know, I don't want much. Just asking. We're likely to be living in the MH for several months and I'd like to start the trip out right. Anybody have suggestions?
Sometimes, when space allows, I've taken light fixtures apart and added a second or third bulb socket and then added the extra LEDs. By doing this, the fixture has the same profile, no additional work/trimming is required and the style remains throughout the rig. I am not concerned about heat build up when converting from incandescent to LED. I do scribble "LED only" with a marker on the fixture housing under the lens as a reminder.

I've done this in our outside round porch light and our three, formerly fluorescent/ 12 V hall and bedroom lights (removed the guts and installed LED strips made for a similar conversion - I pulled the conversion strip apart to modified the fixture - great light).
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:37 AM   #3

This seller on Ebay has a huge selection of bulbs. And also, these conversion panels. You could start out with a couple to be sure of the brightness.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29394238941...kAAOSwQtxdCRR2
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:59 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Before you start changing fixtures etc, take a look at M4 Products website. They specialize in quality RV and off road lighting. In many cases that have bulbs that can be ordered as warm white, natural white, or cool white. That allows you to get the the intensity you need to fit the area or application. They also have complete fixtures should you choose to change the original units. Steve is very helpful on specific questions that you may have as you make your upgraded bulb choices.

m4products.com

All of the 12v lighting on my 2003 coach has been upgraded with their products. We especially liked being able to chose the light tone by areas and all from one source. The website does a great job of helping you with the choices.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:29 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I replaced the fluorescent bulbs in mine with LED strip lighting. DW not happy with the amount of light so I replaced the LED strips with these. I put 4ea in mine but you can add as many as will fit. Happy wife, happy life.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164504382965?var=464097489814
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:06 PM   #6

I used the led strips to convert mine. Plenty of light.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #7

I swapped out all of our flourescent lights with 12vdc ballast bypass led tube lighting
Nice and bright
Tube can rotate which I did in living room fixtures to be not so bright...I can also still shut them off individually
Installation was not hard to do

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to use 1156 bulbs in those sockets - you can use any bulb that has a BA15S base (single contact bayonet). There are LEds that offer a lot more lumens than what the 1156 incandescent bulb spec calls for (about 400 lumens). I see LEds with a 1156 compatible base that have as much as 3000 lumens!
Here is one example:
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Reve...07GTL2Z2J?th=1
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light