Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #1

Question Want to make sure I'm understanding the LP system for using a grill/fire bowl

As is the case often, even if you "search the forum", you become even more puzzled. In this case, I wanted to hear from those that have done this.

Below is a picture showing what I believe are the three relevant parts of my LP system: the tank itself, showing the regulator, the splitter for the gas which has exited the tank, and the LP quick-connect for other devices. I am going to explain what I "think" I understand and if I am right or wrong, please chime in.

My tank (Picture A) shows one hose entering the regulator and one leaving. This means ALL gas in my system is under the same high pressure.

The hose that leaves the regulator finds its way to a splitter (Picture B) which cuts it into three destinations: cooktop/oven/water heater, furnace, and quick connect (Picture C).

My goal is to use a hose to take gas from the quick connect and hook to a couple of devices. One is the Weber Q1200 grill. This grill has a regulator on it. Since the gas is coming in at high pressure, the regulator will bring it down to an acceptable (safe) level and I should be able to simply connect it with a hose and the appropriate quick connect fitting on the grill. Is this correct?

The second device is a simple fire bowl, as yet unpurchased. We want to make sure we know what we are doing with the grill first before buying the wrong type of fire bowl. Again, if we are correct in the grill described above, we simply need to make sure the fire bowl also has a regulator on it to safely bring the high-pressure gas down to a safe level.

Would appreciate any advice on this, especially if you have done this same thing yourself, and any issues I might run into down the road.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #2

Hose Leaving the REG is LOW Pressure
*Reg is a 2 stage REG....1st stage takes Tank High Pressure and drops it to 15# --2nd stage takes that 15# and controls/maintains the RV LP System at 11"WC (0.4 psi)

Pressure at that Splitter is LOW Pressure
Pressure from that Quick Connect is LOW Pressure

Your Grill will NOT work with its reg installed...not will any other LP Device connected to that Quick Connection
**2 regs in line doesn't work

Remove/repipe Grill etc to use that Low Pressure Quick Connection
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Hose Leaving the REG is LOW Pressure
*Reg is a 2 stage REG....1st stage takes Tank High Pressure and drops it to 15# --2nd stage takes that 15# and controls/maintains the RV LP System at 11"WC (0.4 psi)

Pressure at that Splitter is LOW Pressure
Pressure from that Quick Connect is LOW Pressure

Your Grill will NOT work with its reg installed...not will any other LP Device connected to that Quick Connection
**2 regs in line doesn't work

Remove/repipe Grill etc to use that Low Pressure Quick Connection
Wow, learned something new today! All the things I've seen online, no one mentioned a 2-stage regulator. I did see a video where someone who has the exact same grill as I do talked about having to remove the regulator from it but he had also installed his own quick-connect split onto his propane tank, so I was believing his was different than mine. Apparently not!

Thanks, OB.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #4

Pull the cover off the regulator and look at it, then the one on your grill. You'll see the two stages on the tank and know how to recognize which you have in the future.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Pull the cover off the regulator and look at it, then the one on your grill. You'll see the two stages on the tank and know how to recognize which you have in the future.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used an Exted-A Stay to feed my Webber Q. It is a brass fitting that installs between the on board tank shut off valve and the 2 stage regulator. Then I used a 12 foot hose to connect to the Q. This way everything after the regulator stays un-touched and the regulator on the stays which still allowed me to use a 1 lb. throw away tank when needed on the Q
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you can, rework the Weber BBQ so you can remove and reinstall the regulator. That way you can use it with your onboard propane and reinstall the regulator when using a portable tank.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If you can, rework the Weber BBQ so you can remove and reinstall the regulator. That way you can use it with your onboard propane and reinstall the regulator when using a portable tank.
That's the way I'm leaning. I'd much rather mess that up than a 105 pound tank of propane!!!

This is the fire bowl we're considering. It looks like it should be really easy to do it for this; just take off the hose that has the regulator built in to it, right?

Old 11-04-2021, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
That's the way I'm leaning. I'd much rather mess that up than a 105 pound tank of propane!!!

This is the fire bowl we're considering. It looks like it should be really easy to do it for this; just take off the hose that has the regulator built in to it, right?

Yes. You probably can simply unscrew the regulator from the end of the hose and replace it with a female thread male quick connect. Be sure the male quick connect fits the female quick connect on your RV. Keep the regulator in your RV in case you wish to ever go portable.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Yes. You probably can simply unscrew the regulator from the end of the hose and replace it with a female thread male quick connect. Be sure the male quick connect fits the female quick connect on your RV. Keep the regulator in your RV in case you wish to ever go portable.
Great. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2021, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I used an Exted-A Stay to feed my Webber Q. It is a brass fitting that installs between the on board tank shut off valve and the 2 stage regulator. Then I used a 12 foot hose to connect to the Q. This way everything after the regulator stays un-touched and the regulator on the stays which still allowed me to use a 1 lb. throw away tank when needed on the Q
Thanks! Is that product easy for a novice to install or is that something that a pro should handle?
Old 11-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #12

No need to install a extend a stay. The Weber Q actually has a configuration that is sold set up for low pressure. It is simple to convert a high pressure Weber Q to low pressure to be able to connect to your current quick connect. If I remember you will need a 1/8” to 1/4” npt adapter and a male QC connector. As was already mentioned the fire pit you posted will be similar to convert. Only a few bucks in parts.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #13

Extend-A-Stay/Stay Awhile ETC

You will have to relocate the 2\stage reg/cover to make room for the adapter to be installed between Service Valve and Inlet to Reg
*That allows High Pressure Hoses to be connected for Grills/Firepits etc and use their OEM Regs
**Can also connect portable Propane Cylinders to feed MH LP System

Your LP Tank

Tank with Adapter installed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:59 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I did the same thing for my Webber grill and Fire pit.
I used these quick connect fittings https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had an unused proane port (like your pic B but different location). Then I threaded in an extension hose https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with the quick connect fitting on the end.

So I roll out the hose and just use the quick connect fitting to connect to my Webber grill or Fire pit. All you need to do is remove the pressure regulator from the gill or fire pit and install the quick connect fitting in its place.

On Webber Q1200 (or maybe it was the Fire Pit) I needed this fitting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is also a kit available (i wanted a longer hose so bought my stuff off Amazon) https://propanegear.com/weber-q-gril...2-m-f-qc-hose/
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire