Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2022, 01:03 PM   #1

Want to remove rooftop ac

Anybody have suggestions for getting the bedroom ac unit OFF THE ROOF after we have undone everything, including wiring (note: do not use onboard furnace either,).
We have a great 14x14 vent without fan and the 5" plastic insert.
[mod edit]

Our portable Insignia ($199 at Best Buy) is quieter and does not cycle on and off. Venting is easy at same side window as dryer vent- very simple and cools our 33' Class A.
Foothillscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2022, 01:07 PM   #2

Extension ladder acting as a ramp plus two ropes attached to the a/c with two people lowering slowly.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothillscal View Post
Anybody have suggestions for getting the bedroom ac unit OFF THE ROOF after we have undone everything, including wiring (note: do not use onboard furnace either,).
We have a great 14x14 vent without fan and the 5" plastic insert.
[mod edit]

Our portable Insignia ($199 at Best Buy) is quieter and does not cycle on and off. Venting is easy at same side window as dryer vent- very simple and cools our 33' Class A.

I guess you never want to sell it. Anyway get a couple of people slide down a ladder of just throw off roof.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:01 PM   #4

Stolen from other member ,a drywall jack will get much lower .use same to store in garage rafters if you can, if you go sell RV. Put on FB marketplace they sell couple /few hundred quick.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:35 AM   #5

The rooftop units are trash, there are just so many better options as travel styles change and younger generations get into this. My daughter removed hers and put in a vent, it was a pain to get off but we slid it down the ladder and it was manageable with two people. Scary though.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:40 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Extension ladder acting as a ramp plus two ropes attached to the a/c with two people lowering slowly.
Exactly how I replaced both of mine. Worked perfectly.
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:51 PM   #7

When I replaced the Coleman Mach on my Class C, I used the indoor dock at work - backed up to the dock, used a couple of 2 step ladders and had a friend help me take down the old unit and set the new one (with the protective skid) up on the roof. We spent more time with the long screws and replacing the interior trim than the physical exchange took.

Not knowing exactly which AC you have, you may be surprised by the light weight. I was expecting at least 100 lbs and was happy to find my Mach III was about 65 lbs with the thin wood skid.

In the irony dept - in the "Recent Conversations" pane on the right.... the thread right above yours is "How easy to add a roof AC?"
Old 06-17-2022, 06:55 PM   #8

I lifted my replacement with my front end loader on my tractor.

Last year while we were in Florida, a rv mobile tech switched one out on a coach across from us. He slid it up a ladder and pushed it right on the roof. They aren’t heavy, just a little awkward. He’d clearly done it before.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:07 PM   #9

I would not throw it off the roof, Things have a way of bouncing the wrong way. (don't ask)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:26 PM   #10

Borrowing this piece of playground equipment and a son in law worked great for me. The cardboard let us slide them back and forth on the rear cap. We were replacing one.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Borrowing this piece of playground equipment and a son in law worked great for me. The cardboard let us slide them back and forth on the rear cap. We were replacing one.
Way nice!
Old 06-17-2022, 07:56 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Gravity !
Old 06-17-2022, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I would not throw it off the roof, Things have a way of bouncing the wrong way. (don't ask)
Lol. Sounds like the time I cut a small tree down about 6’ from the house. A 3’ section fell to the ground the wrong way and “walked” it’s way back towards my house and thru a window.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:47 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I've considered buying one of those portable AC's as well. Looks like they draw ~11 amps for the 6000 btu. When we stay on the Gulf coast during the summer, the heat is brutal. The Magneshades have helped tremendously, but a few degrees cooler inside would be nice. Also, I am a very light sleeper and the rooftop AC above the bed wakes me up a half dozen or more times a night. I bought the EasyStart Soft Starter to help quiet it down on starts (just arrived - need to install). I am wondering if the outlets on my coach are 15 amp. I'll check the breakers. Not sure how RV parks feel about me running another AC, but I am paying for 50 amps, so I guess they can't say much about it.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof