Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #1

Want to replace rv carpet with flooring

Hope someone can help - we have a 2004 Winnebago (Class A) with 2 slides. I am not concerned with the bedroom area and slideout but want very much to take carpeting out of the front room and hall area of our RV and replace it with flooring (Vinyl or something). Am hoping to hear from others who have recently done this and know something about the slideout - my concern is if the slideout will still operate alright without carpet - my husband is not sure so he won't take an interest in this project until I can find out. I do not plan on putting new flooring under the slideout - but do want to put the new flooring where the slideout begins (new flooring with the slideout out). Hope that makes sense. I searched this topic on the board and found some info, most seem to like the Vinyl flooring but most pictures and how to's were not in the posts. If anyone could direct me to a place I can see how to do this and how to find out if my slideout will work with the new flooring PLEASE let me know.
Thank you so much, Darlene
Darlene77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I replaced the living room and hall carpet last summer with Allure vinyl planking bought at Home Depot, also ran it in front of the kitchen cabinets and into the bathroom. We have a 2003 with two slides, did not remove the carpet from the living room slide. We kept the carpet in back bedroom. It was not hard to do, looks great, has been thru heat and cold, had no problems. Has the look of a wood floor, but has the easy care of vinyl flooring. My husband had his doubts, but I installed it with no problems. Do a word search on this website for Allure, you'll see lots of info.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

replace rv carpet with flooring

Rick and Ann
Thank you so much for your info - I think from your post that you had no problem with the new flooring and the slideout working fine - so glad to hear how it worked for you. Am googling everything I can to find out how to do it, figure maybe youtube has videos on step by step instructions (I hope) - my husband is getting closer to saying we can do it!!! Thank you again, Darlene
Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
We completely replaces the carpeting on a 04 Horizon and was very unhappy. Every time the slide moved it scratched the new floor. It turns out that the slide surface for flooring is different than for carpeting and the slide has to be removed to change. So do not change the surface under the closed slide. It may appear that the slide does not contact the floor but do not believe it.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Yes, you tube has lots of videos. We bought a carpet runner the length of the slide that we put down before bringing the slide in, it glides over the runner and protects the flooring. When we get to our campsite, I roll the runner up and store it until time to head out.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

Targaboat
Now you have me scared (about the slideout), we have a 2004 winnebago and I guess my first qest is to find out what kind of slide runners we have - will be so disappointed if it won't work - the cost to have it done is way out of our league!!! Thank you, Darlene
Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

Can't seem to find any Youtube videos for this, where did you find yours?
Thanks, Darlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
Yes, you tube has lots of videos. We bought a carpet runner the length of the slide that we put down before bringing the slide in, it glides over the runner and protects the flooring. When we get to our campsite, I roll the runner up and store it until time to head out.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rick & Ann, I am going to put new floors in are MH . I asked in another Thread if the plastic slide guards would do the same to protect the floor. What is the material that you are using? Thank you.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Darlene 77:

Just this past month or two I helped a friend of mine replace the carpet in his '06 Winnebago Journey. We did not replace the carpet on the slide itself, but just in the part of the main coach floor that is covered by the slide when the slide is in. (We put ceramic tile in the rest of the coach floor back to the bedroom.) I think that's what you're talking about. On his coach, the slide DOES rub on the new carpet when the slide moves in and out which prevented us from using ceramic all the way out to the edge of the coach floor. There would have been too much of a height difference for the slide to clear had we used ceramic and we were afraid the ceramic would get scratched. Getting the outside edge of the old carpet removed and the new attached was quite difficult. The carpet terminates in an extruded aluminum bar the length of the slide. Originally, the carpet was attached BEFORE the slide was installed so attaching the new piece was a job as the slide floor was in the way. It is possible but don't want to have to do it again.
wizzo442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #10

Thank you wizzo, that was what I was kinda afraid of, seems like that is the same setup we have - don't quite know what we will do now!!! Thanks so much for the info. Darlene
Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlene77
hope someone can help - we have a 2004 winnebago (class a) with 2 slides. I am not concerned with the bedroom area and slideout but want very much to take carpeting out of the front room and hall area of our rv and replace it with flooring (vinyl or something). Am hoping to hear from others who have recently done this and know something about the slideout - my concern is if the slideout will still operate alright without carpet - my husband is not sure so he won't take an interest in this project until i can find out. I do not plan on putting new flooring under the slideout - but do want to put the new flooring where the slideout begins (new flooring with the slideout out). Hope that makes sense. I searched this topic on the board and found some info, most seem to like the vinyl flooring but most pictures and how to's were not in the posts. If anyone could direct me to a place i can see how to do this and how to find out if my slideout will work with the new flooring please let me know.
Thank you so much, darlene
i have replaced the carpet in the living/dining area of our 2004 winnebago sightseer 35n with "pergo"" laminate, if interested
photos of that & other projects at: http://www.picasaweb.google.com/sight04
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Toadog - we bought about 13' of carpet runner from Menards, think it's about 30" wide, when the slide raises up to be brought in, the glides just slide over the runner and protects the new flooring. We cut out the old carpet about two inches from where it runs under the slide frame and put the new flooring up to this cut. When the slide is out, the slide carpet flap covers the new floor about an inch.

Tags
replace