Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 AM   #1

I am looking at Motor Homes D.P.40'3-4slides or about that size.Want a new or next to new and a low mile unit.I may trade the 285 Cougar or sell it first but that remains to be seen.The pro.&cons on makes is the big thought of the day lets hear Yours.And Your ideas..Thanks John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 AM   #2

I am looking at Motor Homes D.P.40'3-4slides or about that size.Want a new or next to new and a low mile unit.I may trade the 285 Cougar or sell it first but that remains to be seen.The pro.&cons on makes is the big thought of the day lets hear Yours.And Your ideas..Thanks John
Old 09-29-2005, 04:22 AM   #3

Morning Bushman: That's a loaded question. A lot depends on what you want and your personal tastes. On many big rigs like that they use interior decorators and one wonders where there head was when they did their thing, certainly was not RVing. I have heard of horror stories on most every brand. So I think it comes down to what you like then check and double check everything to be sure it works like it is supposed to before accepting delivery. There is a NewMar dealer near Dutton who to my knowledge has a good rep. Also the Itasca dealer in London has treated us well many times.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:22 AM   #4

Keep in mind that most all use the same fridge, same stove, same water heater, same gas furnace .. ok you get the idea ... I'd base most of it on floor plan and if used the condition and warranty offered ... just IMHO of course

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Novi:
Morning Bushman: That's a loaded question. A lot depends on what you want and your personal tastes. On many big rigs like that they use interior decorators and one wonders where there head was when they did their thing, certainly was not RVing. I have heard of horror stories on most every brand. So I think it comes down to what you like then check and double check everything to be sure it works like it is supposed to before accepting delivery. There is a NewMar dealer near Dutton who to my knowledge has a good rep. Also the Itasca dealer in London has treated us well many times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is right on. You can get a dud from any manufacturer - but some put out more than their share.

Our recent choice was based on floorplan (but other systems still had to be acceptable) as there are three of us in the coach at all times. After an 8 day outing at at rally in Michigan we are now completely satisfied that the floorplan we have now is as close to perfect as we are going to get for our needs (we've not seen it on any other MH but we've not seen all MHs). I'd suggest searching by acceptable floorplans, then elimiate those that are too long for you. Then, look at the systems of those that are left (engines, transmissions, chassis [including tires] - and as Fiver Driver says - most use fridges, stoves etc from just a couple of manufacturers and from what we've seen with fridges, for example, Norcold and Dometic are both pretty good.).If the other stuff ties in you can take the one with the best floorplan and options you like most, provided the winner isn't put out by a manufacturer you feel has put out too high a percentage of duds.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
All I can tell you is, that we've had two Winnebagos. The second one took 2 years to work all the bugs out. It is now running perfect and all systems are working fine, mostly at my expense. Winnebago caused three problems resulting from their poor quality workmanship. They gave us authorization to get everything fixed and said they would reimburse us; then only paid part and left the major portion on us. No more Winnebago products for us.

You can do yourself right, if you search the Internet and view as many RV sites as you can find. There are hunderds if not thousnads of good used coaches out there, that have had all the bugs worked out and have had a lot of options added. Your in a buyers market, go for it. If you want a list of good sites to view, private message me with your e-mail address and I'll forward my list.

Radarr
Old 09-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You can also start by using the iRV2.com Links Page.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
All I can tell you is, that we've had two Winnebagos. The second one took 2 years to work all the bugs out. It is now running perfect and all systems are working fine, mostly at my expense. Winnebago caused three problems resulting from their poor quality workmanship. They gave us authorization to get everything fixed and said they would reimburse us; then only paid part and left the major portion on us. No more Winnebago products for us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Radarr, Winnebago Industries is one of our sponsors and as such it is in the best interest of iRV2.com to make sure that if we have drastic customer complaints such as yours that we dig a little deeper to see if we can either help you or shed a little light on the issue.

What we have found in research is that given the name and address information provided when you registered as a member that is currently contained in your profile that the named party does not have a Winnebago motorhome registered in that name. Further there have been no requests for reimbursement received by the named individual in the contact information as well.

If there is something that could be done to assist you further please don't hesitate to post or send me a PM if I can be of any help in this matter.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:30 AM   #9

Thanks for the feedback I will still be looking for a time yet so not to get the wrong one.John
Old 10-11-2005, 05:22 AM   #10

Take your time. We have had excellent service with our Beaver but would not rule out other Monaco products a Country Coach, Foretravel they all have good reputations.

Go to RVSEF and read "A Tip For You"

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:29 AM   #11

Thanks for Your coments and tips We may get to Flordia this winter also John
Old 10-13-2005, 04:45 AM   #12

I'm a little disturbed by the comments that if someone is a sponser, then they would be given a flame sheild against negative comments, where other brands not sponsering this board are not given the same consideration.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:18 AM   #13

IF you are in FL in January go to the Florida group and consider the Super Show Rally. They will be glad to have you. Also if in the Tampa area go to Lazydays as you can see a ton of RV's there also.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote