Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Probably overkill for what you're looking for, but this is my comfort zone...my Snap-on road box. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160531_191631230.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	200277
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I'm a fan of the mid or center boxes over the top boxes with a large well on top.

Not overkill at all, I like it. This is similar to my thoughts. Where do you store battery powered tools and drills?

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
X2
My old coach doesn't have real tall bays, so this one is small enough to sit in the tray and still barely slide in the bay opening with top handle down. Plus it's not too long - just short enough to not hit the frame rail when you slide the tray in.

I totally understand, I may need two. The portability is nice.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Sears has a plastic with 4 drawers. Very light and Very strong. I have one in my work tractor for 10 years. 1/4 “, 3/8” , 1/2” drawers and bottom drawer for wrenches up to 1.5”.

I did look at those at sears yesterday, not bad but the drawers seemed flimsy.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Husky Brand soft bag here from Home Depot. They have a variety of sizes and configurations. This holds my most often used tools. Can be readily carried where I need it.

I also have a large craftsman socket and wrench set in one of those molded cases. Plus another generic tool box with seldom used tools.

I have a bunch of bags I will utilize to take tools from the box to the project.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Probably overkill for what you're looking for, but this is my comfort zone...my Snap-on road box. Attachment 200277

This is really what I’m thinking on a slide out tray.

Is yours bolted down?

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks, that pic was taken when I put it in, it's a little closer to the opening now. I keep a bunch of filters stored behind it.
Box isn't bolted down, but I riveted a short piece of flat steel it front of it, just in case it slid....it hasn't moved since I put it in.

I carry most any hand tools, wrench's and sockets up to 1"1/4. Few pipe wrench,
Some cordless stuff, an air 1/2" impact...
I'm a mechanics tool junkie.

Total box/tool probably weigh in around 300/400 lbs. Maybe more?

Fortunately, I don't use it often, but I like riding it around!

FWIW, I don't deal with or no longer own any plastic tool storage. I've never had any hold up. They look good when new, but in a short time drawers, trays and latch all seem to get out of shape.
One can spend a little more and get a good metal box...

In not a fan of their stuff but I like the harbor freight cart with no legs deal posted above... with a coupon one could be had for not a lot of loot.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
I'm a fan of the mid or center boxes over the top boxes with a large well on top.

Me to , but I already had a 3 drawer top box .
So I just took the lid off , basically making it a mid box
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #23
YC1

Wish I had the perfect answer. Have been doing this a long long time now.

My current setup is a nice mid size red tool box turned slightly so I can get inside easier. Then clear plastic heavy duty bins with the half fold over tops. I am experimenting with taking pictures of what is inside each bin. Sometimes I bury something I know I have but can't seem to find it.

One box holds drills, dremel, and other power tools. One box holds sprays, glue, tape etc. Then one box holds electrical type stuff.

I have a fishing tackle box for my daily tool use.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
X2
My old coach doesn't have real tall bays, so this one is small enough to sit in the tray and still barely slide in the bay opening with top handle down. Plus it's not too long - just short enough to not hit the frame rail when you slide the tray in.
X3. I Use this same one, works great
eddie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Thanks, that pic was taken when I put it in, it's a little closer to the opening now. I keep a bunch of filters stored behind it.
Box isn't bolted down, but I riveted a short piece of flat steel it front of it, just in case it slid....it hasn't moved since I put it in.

I carry most any hand tools, wrench's and sockets up to 1"1/4. Few pipe wrench,
Some cordless stuff, an air 1/2" impact...
I'm a mechanics tool junkie.

Total box/tool probably weigh in around 300/400 lbs. Maybe more?

Fortunately, I don't use it often, but I like riding it around!

FWIW, I don't deal with or no longer own any plastic tool storage. I've never had any hold up. They look good when new, but in a short time drawers, trays and latch all seem to get out of shape.
One can spend a little more and get a good metal box...

In not a fan of their stuff but I like the harbor freight cart with no legs deal posted above... with a coupon one could be had for not a lot of loot.

I agree, I personally take better care of quality tools and they in return take better care of me.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Wish I had the perfect answer. Have been doing this a long long time now.

My current setup is a nice mid size red tool box turned slightly so I can get inside easier. Then clear plastic heavy duty bins with the half fold over tops. I am experimenting with taking pictures of what is inside each bin. Sometimes I bury something I know I have but can't seem to find it.

One box holds drills, dremel, and other power tools. One box holds sprays, glue, tape etc. Then one box holds electrical type stuff.

I have a fishing tackle box for my daily tool use.

I love tackle boxes, except when I lift the lower lid and forgot to latch the top lid.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 10:16 PM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use a Craftsman upper box. The lift up lid has room for large items and the three drawers hold smaller items.

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	200364
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.ctechmanufacturing.com/
Will build you any size box you want with drawers of any size and combination. I just got a quote (they aren't cheap) but the are very high quality.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide