Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #43

That is a nice looking box, unfortunately it looks too tall for my basement.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCM View Post
I use a box without a lid (4 drawers) for most tools, but have sockets in one bag, wrenches in another, cordless in another. When doing a job, I have a collapsible wagon from Costco that I cut a piece of Masonite to fit in the bottom. Load the bags in the wagon (Masonite protects the bottom), roll to job. I used to be able to carry tools to jobs, but found out about a new invention....the Wheel! Plus it has pockets for water/beer/Gatoraide.

When I go to visit family, they always have a list of things to make, fix, repair, build, from brake jobs to framing doors, all because I retired and don't have anything else to do.

I like the wagon idea, I have a small hand truck I carry anyway maybe I’ll get a collapsable bag for it.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Good looking box at the price..., what locks drawers? The key or closing the lid?

The drawers are not soft close but do have a detent to keep them from flying open, to lock them it’s just the key which I don’t mind so I can access the drawers without sliding out the bed trey every time.

Rick.

These are the dimensions if Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	202754it helps anyone.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
That is a nice looking box, unfortunately it looks too tall for my basement.

Thanks, yes the dimensions were very hard to find. Maybe a harbor freight tool cart with drawers and removing the legs would work for you.

Rick
Old 05-14-2018, 10:24 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I went with this one. I keep it in a tote with drill, saw and a few other tools. If I can't fix it with this I call the mechanic or service guy. First couple years I carried much more but it was just weight I didn't use so left the excess at home. If we go full-time I will go back to carrying more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	099198867564.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	202755  
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I went with this one. I keep it in a tote with drill, saw and a few other tools. If I can't fix it with this I call the mechanic or service guy. First couple years I carried much more but it was just weight I didn't use so left the excess at home. If we go full-time I will go back to carrying more.

That’s probably more than most people carry.

I figure I can buy all the tools necessary for the cost of one service call.

I find myself going in the tool box every trip to repair or replace something.

Thanks

Rick
Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
That’s probably more than most people carry.

I figure I can buy all the tools necessary for the cost of one service call.

I find myself going in the tool box every trip to repair or replace something.

Thanks

Rick

I had a friend tell me this weekend his trailer spun a bearing and he forgot his tools so he called roadside repair at a cost of $670. I could’ve replaced an entire axle assembly with brakes for that price.

Rick
Old 11-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
I use a small standard tool box with a center handle now and is is stuffed and too hard to find what I need.

I have a tackle box for electrical items and tools and another husky box for battery powered tools and fasteners.

I would like to combine them all into one organized box with drawers and simply put what I need for each project in a portable bag or box.

Anyone have the perfect set up or concerned about weight? Most boxes I’m looking at only weigh 50 pounds on top of the tools I already carry.

Thanks

Rick
I purchased the Milwaukee Packout System - Medium Box. The box with the wheels on it did not fit in the basement slide-out tray due to it's height. So I used the medium box and then bought a plastic collapsable hand truck if I want to make it mobile. I chose the Milwaukee because it is a solidly built box and the latching system is very good.
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #51

I used a tool box I had, put some tracks in a storage space and it extends out nicely for easy access. I might add that in installing the tracks, no holes were drilled, just used a nice snug fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3F61AC6-B4F5-4134-A368-E88B063F28E1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	266941  
Old 11-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Probably overkill for what you're looking for, but this is my comfort zone...my Snap-on road box. Attachment 200277
Kr650, nice box sold many of them back in the day

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #53

I used to carry a tool box in the basement, but when I started towing my Avalanche which has a toolbox in the back with anything I would need away from home, or towing my offroad jeep on a trailer which also has every tool plus jacks, I no longer saw the need to tie up a compartment with duplicate tools. Much better this way for me.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #54

When we where getting ready to go fulltiming a few years ago I decided I didn’t need many of my tools . I had a mid size Craftsman base cabinet on wheel & a 3 drawer upper chest .
I kept the upper chest , but I took the lid off because there isn’t enough room to open the lid . In all this time I bet I haven’t used 1/4 of the tools I still have .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #55

I have the Craftsman 3 drawer lift top same as Dutch Star Don, works great.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #56

I Use 5 gal buckets with lids. I buy as many different colors or designs as i can. Lowes, home depot, camping world, Firehouse subs. then add Lowes lids to all. Load in each bucket what you use by projects. Sockets & wrenches; drills & impact guns; extension cords & tapes, velcro, glues; tackle boxes & fishing stiff; liquids and solvent cleaners; way more storage than my 35 year old roll away toolbox. can tell each bucket apart from others by color or design. can take out in rain and stuff stays dry and mini step stool. I even use a lowes bucket in store for shopping. grab one on way in and toss back on pile at checkout. better than a basket or cart.
MarkPrintz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide