Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
https://www.ctechmanufacturing.com/
Will build you any size box you want with drawers of any size and combination. I just got a quote (they aren't cheap) but the are very high quality.

Wow! With a deep pocket I could get creative but I guess I would also be hiring someone to do the repairs too. I may contact them anyways.

Thanks

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I use a Craftsman upper box. The lift up lid has room for large items and the three drawers hold smaller items.

Attachment 200364

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352308650231

I found this, the dimensions are the closest to what I need. I never heard of this brand but couldn’t be worse than basic Craftsman.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-25-2018, 05:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
This is really what I’m thinking on a slide out tray.

Is yours bolted down?

Rick

Rick , That road chest is the way to go. It’s made to take a pounding with its lifetime warranty ball bearing slides. It’s made to last. Snap-on also makes other boxes that may fit in your spot. Take a look at the website, but purchase from a dealer for the best price. I myself wouldn’t have anything else.

Ron
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #32

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
Rick , That road chest is the way to go. It’s made to take a pounding with its lifetime warranty ball bearing slides. It’s made to last. Snap-on also makes other boxes that may fit in your spot. Take a look at the website, but purchase from a dealer for the best price. I myself wouldn’t have anything else.

Ron
Yes it's a well built piece.
Not cheap or inexpensive.

..... amazing to me how much $$$ people spend on a motorcoach and then go cheap of the stuff it takes to work on or even enjoy it. Lol
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #33

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Soft bags too! Can carry what tools I need to the job.
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post

Ron

I agree the quality is superior but I would be buying second hand at a drastic discount.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-25-2018, 10:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Yes it's a well built piece.
Not cheap or inexpensive.

..... amazing to me how much $$$ people spend on a motorcoach and then go cheap of the stuff it takes to work on or even enjoy it. Lol

I did buy a second hand coach at a steal so the box should be a similar deal.

I still use my craftsman, Metwrench and gearwrenches I’ve had since I was a teenager.

I will be very happy if I find a good deal on a Matco box though.

Rick
Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by G jeffers View Post
Soft bags too! Can carry what tools I need to the job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	200508

I have one of these veto pro xl’s I really like for getting the tools to counter height.

Rick
Old 04-26-2018, 05:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucbyrickg View Post
I did buy a second hand coach at a steal so the box should be a similar deal.

I still use my craftsman, Metwrench and gearwrenches I’ve had since I was a teenager.

I will be very happy if I find a good deal on a Matco box though.

Rick
The Snap-on box you see on my coach was a Craigslist score. I surf the tools section in every town I stop in, lol

My trade required me to depend on my tools for livelihood, probably got 50k or so in them. 99% of handtools which are Snap-on, Mac and Matco.

My point is to get the best you can afford and it'll last forever. I think you agree.
You'll just need to decide how much of it you'll want to take with you on motorcoach.

I base it on skill level, wouldn't make sense to bring enough tools to do engine overhaul if I didn't know how to overhaul engine. Meaning just bring enough tools to do what your comfortable working on.
I have way more than I've needed, but can't bring myself to trimming it back, ha-ha
Old 04-26-2018, 06:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
The Snap-on box you see on my coach was a Craigslist score. I surf the tools section in every town I stop in, lol

My trade required me to depend on my tools for livelihood, probably got 50k or so in them. 99% of handtools which are Snap-on, Mac and Matco.

My point is to get the best you can afford and it'll last forever. I think you agree.
You'll just need to decide how much of it you'll want to take with you on motorcoach.

I base it on skill level, wouldn't make sense to bring enough tools to do engine overhaul if I didn't know how to overhaul engine. Meaning just bring enough tools to do what your comfortable working on.
I have way more than I've needed, but can't bring myself to trimming it back, ha-ha

Yes, I agree, I also look for the name brand quality stuff but always second hand.

Everything in my small boxes now are tools I’ve actually needed to make repairs on the coach and toad.

I may at some point get a heavy duty bottle jack and some 20ton stands for those unexpected repairs for safety but don’t plan on removing the trans on the side of the road.

I recently serviced my 10k generator, replaced the lift pump and the glow plugs in a gravel driveway, this would not be possible without a box of tools.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
What's the frame in the picture?
Frame is from his cover for RV. His carport.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #40

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I finally found the perfect box for only $119 at Home Depot.

RickClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	494.0 KB
ID:	202610
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #41
OCM

I use a box without a lid (4 drawers) for most tools, but have sockets in one bag, wrenches in another, cordless in another. When doing a job, I have a collapsible wagon from Costco that I cut a piece of Masonite to fit in the bottom. Load the bags in the wagon (Masonite protects the bottom), roll to job. I used to be able to carry tools to jobs, but found out about a new invention....the Wheel! Plus it has pockets for water/beer/Gatoraide.
When I go to visit family, they always have a list of things to make, fix, repair, build, from brake jobs to framing doors, all because I retired and don't have anything else to do.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #42

Good looking box at the price..., what locks drawers? The key or closing the lid?

Tags
slide