Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #1

Wanting to find the perfect tool box for the basement slide.

I use a small standard tool box with a center handle now and is is stuffed and too hard to find what I need.

I have a tackle box for electrical items and tools and another husky box for battery powered tools and fasteners.

I would like to combine them all into one organized box with drawers and simply put what I need for each project in a portable bag or box.

Anyone have the perfect set up or concerned about weight? Most boxes Iím looking at only weigh 50 pounds on top of the tools I already carry.

Thanks

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I use one of these. It's large enough to hold two sets of wrenches from 1/4 to 1 1/2, and 8 mm to 30 mm, three full sets of sockets, 3/8 drive standard and metric and 1/2" drive standard, plus a few 3/4 drive large sockets, screw drivers, pliers, and misc tools like filter wrenches. The good thing is I can still lift it out of the basement and carry it to the back of the coach.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I use a Husky rolling tool bag. They make a number of different sizes and had one that fits perfectly in the space I use. Although itís well laid out with numerous pockets etc. it doesnít have drawers like a standard toolbox if that important to you. I load it up with tons of tools, metric and S.A.E. Works great for me and love the rolling capability. Also, very well made and durable. Got mine at Home Depot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	200258
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #4

Not sure how much room you have, below is my solution.....

We have a older pusher, and go for extended trips. In addition we bring our Jeep along and enjoy off-road trips. Therefore I wanted a good selection of tools. And like you, wanted to be able to find them.

The below pictured box is a Harbor Freight tool cart. I simply cut the legs off, and it fit in our basement with a 1/2" to spare height, and 5-6" to spare width. When the lid is closed the drawers remain locked, a lot of space with all the drawers and the top area under the lid.

L.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170729_110950.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	200257  
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #5

I second the soft bag system. Buy three or four smaller bags and separate your tools into category's for each bag: bag1-sockets/drivers/extensions, bag2-pliers/screwdrivers/hacksaw, bag3-small tools(like allen's/torx) in small clear plastic containers, bag4-whatever didn't fit in 1 thru 3. Mark the bags clearly on each end so you can always see which one is which at a glance.

I got tired of one big box or bag that weighed a ton, then having to dump it all out each time to find the one tool I needed. Soft bags won't scratch up everything they come in contact with, nor will they rust.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I use one of these. It's large enough to hold two sets of wrenches from 1/4 to 1 1/2, and 8 mm to 30 mm, three full sets of sockets, 3/8 drive standard and metric and 1/2" drive standard, plus a few 3/4 drive large sockets, screw drivers, pliers, and misc tools like filter wrenches. The good thing is I can still lift it out of the basement and carry it to the back of the coach.

Thatís close to what I was thinking and better than what I am using now.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
I use a Husky rolling tool bag. They make a number of different sizes and had one that fits perfectly in the space I use. Although itís well laid out with numerous pockets etc. it doesnít have drawers like a standard toolbox if that important to you. I load it up with tons of tools, metric and S.A.E. Works great for me and love the rolling capability. Also, very well made and durable. Got mine at Home Depot.

Attachment 200258

I have used bags before and great for transporting but looking for more permanent at least in the coach.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post

We have a older pusher, and go for extended trips. In addition we bring our Jeep along and enjoy off-road trips. Therefore I wanted a good selection of tools. And like you, wanted to be able to find them.

The below pictured box is a Harbor Freight tool cart. I simply cut the legs off, and it fit in our basement with a 1/2" to spare height, and 5-6" to spare width. When the lid is closed the drawers remain locked, a lot of space with all the drawers and the top area under the lid.

L.

I was looking at some Matco and Mack role carts on Craigslist cheap and was thinking the same thing.

Nice setup.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I second the soft bag system. Buy three or four smaller bags and separate your tools into category's for each bag: bag1-sockets/drivers/extensions, bag2-pliers/screwdrivers/hacksaw, bag3-small tools(like allen's/torx) in small clear plastic containers, bag4-whatever didn't fit in 1 thru 3. Mark the bags clearly on each end so you can always see which one is which at a glance.

I got tired of one big box or bag that weighed a ton, then having to dump it all out each time to find the one tool I needed. Soft bags won't scratch up everything they come in contact with, nor will they rust.

Great points.

Thanks

Rick
Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #10

I'm a fan of the mid or center boxes over the top boxes with a large well on top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tool bay.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	200263  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post

X2
My old coach doesn't have real tall bays, so this one is small enough to sit in the tray and still barely slide in the bay opening with top handle down. Plus it's not too long - just short enough to not hit the frame rail when you slide the tray in.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post

L.
What's the frame in the picture?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sears has a plastic with 4 drawers. Very light and Very strong. I have one in my work tractor for 10 years. 1/4 ď, 3/8Ē , 1/2Ē drawers and bottom drawer for wrenches up to 1.5Ē.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Husky Brand soft bag here from Home Depot. They have a variety of sizes and configurations. This holds my most often used tools. Can be readily carried where I need it.

I also have a large craftsman socket and wrench set in one of those molded cases. Plus another generic tool box with seldom used tools.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide