Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2020, 09:04 AM   #1

Wanting to fulltime in a short class A

My wife and I have had many types of RV's from our antique class A to popups, travel trailers and toyhaulers.
We now want a short length class A around 30 feet that we will eventually use for full timing. We like the new F53 7.3L V8 gas chassis so we are probably going to buy new. So far we have looked into Newmar Baystars, Entegra Visions, Tiffin Allegros and Forest River FR3's. We especially like the FR3 30DS and believe that's the unit for us.
Who out there is full timing in a small class A? What coach are you doing it with and how do you like it?
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #2

We full-timed in a Winnebago Vista 32K (2010). It's a bunk model that the previous owner renovated to have a washer/dryer and extra storage in place of the bunks. It's 32.5 feet long and suited us pretty well.
We didn't think that having a washer/dryer was going to be a showstopper but I have to say I'd not really want to fulltime without it. I work fulltime so the little bit of extra space helped. I was intending to buy a unit that would allow me to sit and work from the passenger seat but ours didn't so I was mostly on the dinette. Ours is a V10 unit and the mileage wasn't great, but we only moved every few weeks. Average over 32K miles was 6.81 MPG towing a Mini Cooper Roadster 4-down. I've seen a video that shows the comparison between the 2 and the V8 looks to do a bit better than the V10 mileage wise.
I might see if any of the manufacturers that you described are doing any chassis enhancements to the new chassis. I put about $6K into ours to get it to ride better. I read the new chassis has a beefier anti-sway bar so that's good. We have a steering stabilizer, rear track bar, Koni FSD shocks and Sumo Springs (which I probably could/ would have skipped had I done the correct shocks first). We tried Bilstein shocks but they actually made the ride more rough not less.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I see we agree on this: “Personal preferences are just that... personal”. My preference is to half time in a 42-45’ having started at 36’ because that was supposed to be the MAX for Public CGs. Didn’t take long to realize that’s not true, especially once you are not weekend warriors. We stay mainly in public CGs during the summer and yes it’s harder with a big rig, but not impossible.

Since you do not like diesels, my recommendation/preference would be a gas rig in the 36-38’ size for full time. I learned the $$$$ way that you should buy more MH than you think you need... ONE TIME!
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:01 PM   #4

I have a small class A, but don't fulltime, my advice is whatever you buy, get one with a large OCCC (cargo carrying capacity rating), as even just taking month long trips I bump up against my weight carrying capacity limit, long before all the cargo compartments are full.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #5

We have looked at several diesel pushers but nothing is as small as we would like. Plus, we really really do not want a modern emissions diesel so it would need to be pre 2007 but those "Golden Girls" interiors are just awful.
Actually, the FR3 is as big (height/length) as we would be willing to go. I really want to stay with the 190" wheelbase.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #6

I agree with buy more than what you think you need, ONE TIME.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
My wife and I have had many types of RV's from our antique class A to popups, travel trailers and toyhaulers.
We now want a short length class A around 30 feet that we will eventually use for full timing. We like the new F53 7.3L V8 gas chassis so we are probably going to buy new. So far we have looked into Newmar Baystars, Entegra Visions, Tiffin Allegros and Forest River FR3's. We especially like the FR3 30DS and believe that's the unit for us.
Who out there is full timing in a small class A? What coach are you doing it with and how do you like it?
We have a 30' 2017 BayStar Sport, find it very comfortable and we love it.

It is just my wife and I...no pets....no Toad, just our two mountain bikes mounted on a rear rack. Adequate storage, the full length slide out make a huge difference as does the bedroom slide. We cook outside the majority of the time unless the weather is terrible so our kitchen is used for coffee making and my wife's bread/and general baking (an oven was a must have). Most of the time we are living outside. We started out with a Thor Axxis but at 25' was a bit too small on the storage. Our BayStar holds all we need and keeps my pack rat ways limited!!!
belfast1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #8

77travco-

Hmm...

Our 2008 HR Admiral is similar in length, wheelbase and floorplan to the 2020 FR 30DS. The Admiral's GVWR is 20,500 pounds, vs. the FR3's 18,000 pounds. The Admiral's CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity), defined as:

CCC = GVWR - Unloaded Vehicle Weight - full water tank - full propane tank - 2 occupants at 150 pounds each

is 2600 pounds. When we're loaded, we're pretty close to the GVWR.

Makes me wonder if the FR3 is lightly built, or has a comparably low OCCC, both of which could be drawbacks for full-timers.

Just speculation... Carry on!
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Many newer 38-40’ DP use a 23K rear axle... more than the GVW of gas rigs.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfast1949 View Post
We have a 30' 2017 BayStar Sport, find it very comfortable and we love it.

It is just my wife and I...no pets....no Toad, just our two mountain bikes mounted on a rear rack. Adequate storage, the full length slide out make a huge difference as does the bedroom slide. We cook outside the majority of the time unless the weather is terrible so our kitchen is used for coffee making and my wife's bread/and general baking (an oven was a must have). Most of the time we are living outside. We started out with a Thor Axxis but at 25' was a bit too small on the storage. Our BayStar holds all we need and keeps my pack rat ways limited!!!
Thanks for the input.
You guys sound like us. Me and my wife would be on the move quite often. I doubt we would want to stay anywhere more than a few days or a week at a time.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
77travco-

Hmm...

Our 2008 HR Admiral is similar in length, wheelbase and floorplan to the 2020 FR 30DS. The Admiral's GVWR is 20,500 pounds, vs. the FR3's 18,000 pounds. The Admiral's CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity), defined as:

CCC = GVWR - Unloaded Vehicle Weight - full water tank - full propane tank - 2 occupants at 150 pounds each

is 2600 pounds. When we're loaded, we're pretty close to the GVWR.

Makes me wonder if the FR3 is lightly built, or has a comparably low OCCC, both of which could be drawbacks for full-timers.

Just speculation... Carry on!
The 190" wheelbase F53 chassis is an 18000lb chassis.

Years of RV living has taught us that less is more. Me and my wife are the exact opposite of hoarders, lol.
One of our "fulltime rules" is that we each will get one of those big plastic storage tubs to put our own personal stuff in. That includes clothing. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. We are even giving away all the family photos and such things to our grown kids. We like to call it extreme downsizing. We've been practicing it for years now with our sticks and bricks. We have several empty rooms in our house as we speak.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #12
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We lived for 5 years in a 29' class A. We still live in it 5 to 6 month every year. Covid-19 has put a damper on it this year.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nobody else can determine how much space or weight is enough for YOU. Best I can say is that many, perhaps most, underestimate how much space & weight they need to be comfortable when the RV is the ONLY place they have to live. Little inconveniences can rear large after a few months, but that is entirely a personal thing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
We have looked at several diesel pushers but nothing is as small as we would like. Plus, we really really do not want a modern emissions diesel so it would need to be pre 2007 but those "Golden Girls" interiors are just awful.
Actually, the FR3 is as big (height/length) as we would be willing to go. I really want to stay with the 190" wheelbase.
Maybe you could check out a winniebago 33d it has the diesel, and is shorter.
I would rather have it than this 36 Journey DP. I think that DEF started in 2010.
Not to sure about that though. I would like to find one to checkout myself.
staggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, fulltime