Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #1

Warning 2 Newbie Questions about weight MPG and slides

Hello,
I am very new and have 2 questions.

1.) If you have a 90 gallon diesel tank and get 10 MPG ... and are planning to travel across a few states, not Alaska, do you fill the tank to half way, then fill up when you need to ... in order to avoid driving around with the extra weight of 45 gallons ... or do you fill up totally everytime you refuel.

2.) How hard is it to manually crank in a slide after there has been a power and/or hydralic failure? How much harder is it with a full wall slide supporting the kitchen and booth vs just a small BR slide?
furlowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #2

I understand your concern for weight, although I disagree with being so concerned about it that it detracts from the enjoyment of the trip. You will not doubt get several views on this subject, I fill up after about 250 miles. It is not the distance or fuel consumption but rather the time driving. For me, after five hours or so I'm ready to get out, stretch, walk around the rig, bump the tires, etc. A rule I have followed for years is that I never go to sleep on a near empty tank.

Never had a slide nor wanted one. I'm a traveler and not a camper.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When we do long trips we start looking for a place to stop to fill up when we get 1/4 tank. Out comes the phone to look at several apps for prices for fuel.

Oh we have a 200 gallon fuel tank so we can go for quite a few miles before we stop.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think the general sentiment leans toward keeping your DP fuel tank at least half full. I try to do this but have run low enough to set off the warning chime a few times and it's nerve wracking. You DO NOT want to run a DP out of fuel!

The extra few hundred pounds of fuel when viewed in the context of a 32,000 lb coach is not enough to even be concerned with IMHO.

I've never had to manually crank in any of my four slides but I think it's just a matter of turning a large nut with a ratchet. Time consuming but not all that difficult. Again, not something I'd worry about.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
HI,

1 - as for the fuel question I always start out with a ful tank of gas and refill when it gets to half a tank when possible. If tank goes below 1/4 tank the generator won't run. I also travel with a full tank of fresh water due to not knowing where you will stop for the night aka Walmart ot what emergency may come up and you need water. Also my fresh water tank is in the middle of Rv and gives my stability when driving in heavy winds.

2 - as for slideouts, mine are hydraulic and there is a procedure for pushing them in when trouble occurs. Keep in mind if you operate them the way the manual says and inspect the reservoir level along with the slide mechanism you shouldn't have any problems.

Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Here's where you can get all the information you need for the interstates:http://thenextexit.com/
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.
I often refuel based on fuel prices along the route. Some states fuel prices are considerably higher. It is worthwhile to manage where you refuel. You also don't want to looking for the next service station while basking in the glow of your low fuel light. Several places on the internet list fuel prices. http://www.dieselboss.com/Fuel_041612WA.pdf
Otherwise start looking at about 1/2 a tank..

A few states have different taxes on commercial vehicles,
For Example, Indiana stations post the tax exempt commercial price for diesel. RV and auto fuel must pay a 7% tax. So if the price you see on the sign or on the internet is $4.00/gallon, it's is $4.28 at the pump for an RV.or car..

Slide problems seem to be fairly rare.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #8

I have always like to have full fuel, full fresh water and full propane tanks and empty black and grey tanks, plus food for a few days.

I look for a convenient fuel stop when I get to 1/2 tank and I never drive more than 2 hrs without stopping. Usually don't travel more than 6-7 hrs a day. Sometimes less.

Never know when one can get held up because of traffic, weather, other emergencies, or just want to stop and stay a while where there are no facilities. Being prepared just provides more options,

I never worry about the small amout of fuel saving one might realize by adjusting the load. Driving at an optimium speed is more important in that department.

There is no real economy in owning an operating an RV but I have the "Gas Buddy" app which provides good info re local fuel prices. You can select a location and get GPS directions to the location if you use a phone or tablet as a GPS.

Re slides, well just know how to retract them if your power systems fail. Never had a slide failure. Only had rigs with slides for 10 years.

Good luck with your rig and enjoy the flexibility of the RV lifestyle,
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #9

As others are saying, most of us will do it just the opposite of what you are suggesting ...so rather than filling to only half a tank, most will starting looking for fuel once the tank reaches the one-half level and then filling it to full once choosing a fuel location. You can then calculate you MPG accurately using this method, in other words, filling the tank to the full mark.

Since a gallon of diesel weighs "around" 7-pounds (6.8-7.5 lbs.), the approximate 315 pounds you'll be saving in weight reduction will not amount to much on a diesel pusher as has been said.

Pertaining to cranking in the slides manually, I've only done it once and mine does have a kitchen sink, cook-top, microwave, and electric couch, if you release the hydraulic pressure (not all slides are hydraulic, however), it is relatively easy to crank in. Not fun and takes time but isn't as bad as you'd think.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #10

A lot of great answers and tips ...

thanks everyone
furlowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There are several apps that are available. Most use some or all. They are all free apps to put on a smartphone.
My DAT Trucker Services - shows most truck stops, most diesel prices, rest areas and walmarts
Love's - shows the Love's, fuel prices and any specials they are running
Pilot/Flying J - shows the Pilot/Flying J's, might show some fuel prices
GasBuddy - shows most gas stations, might show truck stops, as this app is customer driven it usually shows mostly gas prices but you might get lucky with diesel

2 others you may want to put on are also free they are Barcode Scanner and Cardex. With Barcode Scanner (or one of those like that) you can scan barcodes to see prices of most products. With Cardex (or one like it) you can scan or input all those loyalty cards so that you always have the numbers with you and you should not have to carry all them with you all the time.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #12

It's a whole lot cheaper and whole better than walking to run on the top Half of any Gas/Fuel tank.........I really hate to have to walk very far......

I think the slide problem is not a problem........just my 2cents......

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

A few hundred pounds of extra weight costs you essentially zero on the level and only a tiny percentage more when climbing hills. As has already been said, lifting an extra 270 lbs (6 lbs x 45 gal) up a hill is unnoticeable in a rig that weighs 26,000-30,000 lbs (including the towed car). One percent or less difference.

Slides: Cranking even a 12-14 foot slide in is a major chore and only done as a last resort. I'm not even sure it is possible to manually crank a full wall slide because the ends have separate motors that have to be synchronized to prevent jamming. Fortunately, it is a rare problem. My advice is to not worry and just figure you are going to require professional help if a full wall slide won't come in for some reason.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I have always like to have full fuel, full fresh water and full propane tanks and empty black and grey tanks, plus food for a few days.

I look for a convenient fuel stop when I get to 1/2 tank and I never drive more than 2 hrs without stopping. Usually don't travel more than 6-7 hrs a day. Sometimes less.

Never know when one can get held up because of traffic, weather, other emergencies, or just want to stop and stay a while where there are no facilities. Being prepared just provides more options,

I never worry about the small amout of fuel saving one might realize by adjusting the load. Driving at an optimium speed is more important in that department.

There is no real economy in owning an operating an RV but I have the "Gas Buddy" app which provides good info re local fuel prices. You can select a location and get GPS directions to the location if you use a phone or tablet as a GPS.

Re slides, well just know how to retract them if your power systems fail. Never had a slide failure. Only had rigs with slides for 10 years.

Good luck with your rig and enjoy the flexibility of the RV lifestyle,
Nuff said to the point!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, weight