Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 06:16 AM   #1

Warranty available for diesel engine & drivetrain ?

Hello,
We are looking at purchasing a pre-owned, entry level diesel pusher.
We are looking at coaches from about 2014 - 2018. Are there any companies that offer a drivetrain warranty ?

I can repair just about anything on an RV. We started out with a pop up 30+ yrs ago and have had class c's and class a's (gassers) I have no experience with diesel engines, but I learn quickly and feel I can perform all normal and necessary yearly preventive maintenance service.
But with a pre owned diesel coach, if I can have the peace of mind that I have good warranty company that will cover all the drivetrain components.
( engine, transmission , rear end) I would certainly feel much better.

I am trying to educate myself about any possible warranty policies available and their cost before we purchase a coach.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
ky bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #2

Yes..Wholesale Warranties

https://wholesalewarranties.com/
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:33 AM   #3

Good morning from the Lexington area Ky Bob and welcome to the iRV2 forum. I can't help with your question about warranties. But I did want to say working on diesel engines isn't all that much harder to do than gas engines. Everything is just bigger. There will be a learning curve, but there are plenty of great helpful people on this forum that can and will help you learn. I figure if I can do it, anyone can!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #4

Know that the service contract company prices it's coverage at a profit across all customers. Which means, everything else being equal, you will pay more for the plan than the benefit you get.

And, if you DIY, then you are taking more potential claim Off of the contract company which means you further reduced their risk and you really paid for their profit.

ie: why bother.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ky bob

Welcome to the DP world - it is different from all before. Just purchased new to me 2007 Itasca Meridian 34H last May. Having RV'd since 1974 in TT and gasser MH, but I too wanted a little peace of mind so I purchased an Extended Service Plan (ESP) when I bought it and it has paid for itself already and going in again with an air suspension problem. I did an oil analysis to get a base line on the engine and everything was fine but will do another before oil change to check it again to make sure all is okay. I am thinking of extending another year to cover drive train, AC and generator. The cost is worth my peace of mind and I think it will for you too. I purchased mine with Compass and have had no problems with them.

Some on the forum will recommend putting the money in a savings account and adding monthly to it and thereby self-insuring. It works for many but since the DP was something totally new to me I went with an ESP and recommend them for at least a couple of years allowing one to become thoroughly familiar with the new rig.

Just my observation - Ultimately it is what gives you peace of mind.

Have a great day - Richard
Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I priced a Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, Differential) warranty last year when I bought my 2005 Beaver Patriot (CAT C13, Alison 4000) - and the price was $3000/year.

One major repair could easily cost much more than that payment, but I decided not to purchase it. So far no issues so I saved $3K already.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
Hello,
We are looking at purchasing a pre-owned, entry level diesel pusher.
We are looking at coaches from about 2014 - 2018. Are there any companies that offer a drivetrain warranty ?

I can repair just about anything on an RV. We started out with a pop up 30+ yrs ago and have had class c's and class a's (gassers) I have no experience with diesel engines, but I learn quickly and feel I can perform all normal and necessary yearly preventive maintenance service.
But with a pre owned diesel coach, if I can have the peace of mind that I have good warranty company that will cover all the drivetrain components.
( engine, transmission , rear end) I would certainly feel much better.

I am trying to educate myself about any possible warranty policies available and their cost before we purchase a coach.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Almost all the 5 year OEM warranties from Cummins and Allison are transferable so buy one that is not more that 4 years old

Service contracts are buyer beware at best
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bob! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a fan of extended warranties so I can't help with that! Just noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Looking back 17 years ago, we purchased a 3 year warranty for $4,000 when we bought our then 7 year old rig.

The purchase for us was break even due to having an on-the-road failure of our Cummins fuel pump and a coolant circulation pump failure.

To this date (knocking on wood) 80,000 miles later, we have not had a major engine, transmission, or rear end repair which would have been covered by that warranty.

It was worth the peace of mind for us. YMMV
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

Thanks for all the reply's.
I am a self taught machinist and design machinery, so I feel I can handle most routine recommended maint. on a DP.

One of my brothers has been a Cummins engineer for the last 38 yrs (retiring soon) so maybe he could help a bit also. Not sure how handy he is using tools though.

I really like the 33.2 Palazzo layout and I am anxious about having more power, more quiet ride,smoother ride and better braking than our current 32 ft V-10 Ford gasser.

If I have a pre owned gasser checked out before the sale, can you recommend a good company to use to do the inspection ?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 02-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #11

The end of my last post should have read...
If I find a diesel pusher I want to have inspected (engine & transmission) before purchase, can anyone recommend a good inspection company ?

Bob
Old 02-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #12

I'm not a fan of warranty plans, but I would advise getting a oil sample analysis to determine the health of the motor and transmission. Blackstone Labs can get results back in a week. To get a oil sample, stick a small rubber hose down the oil dip stick tube, plug the end and pull the hose out.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I'm not a fan of warranty plans, but I would advise getting a oil sample analysis to determine the health of the motor and transmission. Blackstone Labs can get results back in a week. To get a oil sample, stick a small rubber hose down the oil dip stick tube, plug the end and pull the hose out.
I have found it best to grab the samples when they are cooling down before any heavier particulates drop to the bottom. Usually not a big difference in the analysis but if there is an issue the particular analyte will jump out on a warm sample
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
I have found it best to grab the samples when they are cooling down before any heavier particulates drop to the bottom. Usually not a big difference in the analysis but if there is an issue the particular analyte will jump out on a warm sample

I agree, grab a sample after the test drive.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, warranty