Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dropped the coach off at a tire place. The tire that's leaking is unfixable. Found 4 tires that were my size. They are Firestone. Only tire I could find in town. Haven't read much about Firestone on the forum so I hope they are OKAY. Anyway, by tonight I'll have 4 new back tires and then will get the fronts replaced in good time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Was this tire made in 2004?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
What's the chance of finding my size tire? XZA 275/70R 22.5. I couldn't even find that size in some of the online stores. If a tire shop happened to have 6 lying around, I'd be tempting to just tell them to install them.

Simple Tire has plenty of tires in this size. Great service, just used them recently for 6 Michelin tires.

www.simpletire.com

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #31

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Fact-checking myself. Was the tire in this picture made in the 8th week of 2004?

Where do I find what pressure my tires should be at? The data plate inside my coach just shows the maximum pressure of 120 pounds cold. Same as printed on the tires. The front tires were recently balanced and those have 95 pounds. I suppose the duels on the back should also be 95-100 pounds?

And if you didn't replace these tires with Michelins, what brand would you go to next. Yokohama?
Yes, 04, but you already knew that and way past due.
As for replacements and for saving some money as well, put the cheapest tires you can get your hands on for the rears and pay thru the nose for the front steers, which evidently have some magical chemical engineering process that makes them superior over US DOT required standards.
Some years down the road you might find that there is no real difference in any of them, but at least you'll feel more secure and have the peace of mind that you spent all the dollars you possibly could have for a big name.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Yes, 04, but you already knew that and way past due.

As for replacements and for saving some money as well, put the cheapest tires you can get your hands on for the rears and pay thru the nose for the front steers, which evidently have some magical chemical engineering process that makes them superior over US DOT required standards.

Some years down the road you might find that there is no real difference in any of them, but at least you'll feel more secure and have the peace of mind that you spent all the dollars you possibly could have for a big name.

OR...they might save your life.

Wanna gamble?

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post

Wanna gamble?

Cheers!
What a Crock of .......!!!!!

If you're that paranoid, just stay home and pray that your house doesn't get hit by a meteorite!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Was this tire made in 2004?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
What a Crock of .......!!!!!

If you're that paranoid, just stay home and pray that your house doesn't get hit by a meteorite!

Hi SilverBob,

I've driven a high quality tire for 40 years without a failure or even a flat.

I'll stick with what works, now you may call that "paranoid",I'll just chuckle.

Take it easy Bob, you seem upset.

Be safe, friends. And for Godsake's relax! Have Fun!

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Take it easy Bob, you seem upset.

Be safe, friends. And for Godsake's relax! Have Fun!

Cheers!
Not upset at all, Amigo! I just get a kick out of people who try to scare others out of making the logical decision, especially when they have no documented facts or data to support their claims. You make me laugh!

As for relaxing, I'm all over that! My DW and I decided years ago to only exist in one of three conditions:
1) On vacation
2) Just back from vacation
3) Planning our next vacation

Right now, we're transitioning from #2 to #3.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:02 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're at #1 transitioning to #3
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #37

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

Wanna gamble?

Cheers!
Never have been a gambler with anything, but as an engineer myself, I'm still waiting for the technical engineering data that makes a tire like Michelin superior and safe and some other makes unsafe for our nation's highways. Even though they all have a US government DOT number embedded on the sidewall of the tire, this evidently means nothing to some.
Perhaps someone like yourself could supply this data, cuz I certainly can't find it anywhere else. Not with independent and unbiased studies or even with actual and proven claims from the manufacture's themselves. Yes, they do have some expert marketing hype that will allow them to live and command high prices with a following of disciples, no matter what their quality might be.
As for tried and proven service, this can be said by many, including my four Hercules on the drive axle that have so far kept on trucking across the lower 48.
As for my reputable Hankooks on the front, it seems that the Korean's have subbed out to China as well, so I may be on borrowed time. Now, when Michelin begins to sub out to China as well, then I guess the die hard's will be running on the rims, eh?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #38

Michelin already makes tires in China. They make the "Warrior" brand, in a joint venture with Double Coin. Michelin says they won't export them outside Asia, but Double Coin plans to bring them to the North American market soon.

(Rubber and Plastic News, December 4, 2014)

EDIT>> Upon further review, they're already here.
The Warrior Brand | Warrior Tire
No truck sizes yet, though.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Ditto that.....I just put six new 22 inch Sumos on my 2005 Maonaco. Had all 6 balanced......good ride.
Schrimscher
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Back from a 400 mile round-trip excursion these past few days. Felt good having 4 new tires on back, but this vessel ain't leaving town again until the front two tires get replaced. Hate driving on pins-n-needles knowing my 11-year-old tires could explode with the next bounce.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
To update this thread, my coach now has all new tires. Very good feeling going down the road.

When my front tires were installed, they added leveling beads. Is that common? Drives very nice so no complaints.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #42

Quote:
When my front tires were installed, they added leveling beads. Is that common? Drives very nice so no complaints.
That would be balancing beads , one of several possible methods used by tire stores to balance motor home tires.