Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #1

Wash machine drain pan

I have a place for a Splendide washer/dryer combo and would like to put in a drain pan. The wall to wall and front to back measurement is 23.5 inches x 21 inches. The Splendide measures 23.5 inches x 20.5 inches. The 23.5 inches side is where I need to put the drain hole. I have looked at ready made parts and no one has these measurements for the Splendide exactly. They are all too small or too big. The custom made pans are several hundred dollars just for galvanized steel. I did not want to seal up the wood walls to act as a dam, but am considering copper plate and angle to sweat together a pan to cover the flooring measurements, so it will be bigger than the Splendide in depth only. This will go inside a small space in a 2000 Fleetwood American Tradition. The area above and below looks like enough space for a washer and dryer stack arrangement, but it has a nice clothes hamper below with cabinets and extra storage above with cabinets instead in these places. I would like to try the new Splendid model combo vented with the single turn knob and digital screen. My 20 year old Splendide combo vented unit has the multiple knob analog arrangement, inoperative timer function, leaky door gasket, and zero parts availability, but was built very well with heavy duty shocks. The new model would be a plug in ready upgrade.

Does anyone know where to get a ready made pan for this vehicle or a good deal on a custom made pan? I maintain, do repairs, modifications when necessary, and don't mind making my own pan, but wanted to see if there was a store bought version first. If there is a leak, it may hit the sides of the washer and drip down from there, so I wanted to cover the entire floor area to give any leak a good chance to divert to drain.

Thanks.
travel_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #2

Why can't you go to Home Depot or Lowes, buy a hot water heater pan, they come in different sizes plus they are galvanized and could be altered with tin snips and solder, just a thought.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Heavy rubber waterproof underlayment for shower tiles.
Flexible, fold the corners screw to side side walls. Get enough to go up about 4 inches. Small marine thru hull fitting for the drain anywhere that placement is easy. Caulk that fitting.

Has worked well on several installs over 20 years...I know it works because of course none has ever leaked...LMAO
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Buy a sheet of aluminum from the hardware store and two pieces of 1" x 24" flat stock steel. Make your measurements and use the flat stock steel to sandwich the aluminum edges. Use vise grips or clamps to keep the two pieces of flat stock clamped to the aluminum. Bend the edges of the aluminum up and then move to the next edge. If you leave some excess aluminum on two sides, you can bend it around the edges and rivet it together, making a pan. Use some silicone to seal the edges. Should be less than $25.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought this from Amazon for my Splendide W/D Vented Combo install.

WESTLAND SALES PI-22 Drain-A-Way Pan 24" X 22.5"

You can search 2021 Southwind for my post and log of installs.
GMan2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #6

Call local HVAC shops and request a quote for them making a pan to your dimensions. It will be less than you think. Galvanized steel is standard, they should have sheet SST on hand but it will cost 3X as much.
I did not have room for a water catch pan so I installed this: https://www.absoluteautomation.com/c...3-4-water-line
Since i'm a belt and suspenders guy, I also have a battery-powered water presence sensor under the Splendide unit: https://www.amazon.com/Topvico-Flood...039871&sr=8-21
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Buy a sheet of aluminum from the hardware store and two pieces of 1" x 24" flat stock steel. Make your measurements and use the flat stock steel to sandwich the aluminum edges. Use vise grips or clamps to keep the two pieces of flat stock clamped to the aluminum. Bend the edges of the aluminum up and then move to the next edge. If you leave some excess aluminum on two sides, you can bend it around the edges and rivet it together, making a pan. Use some silicone to seal the edges. Should be less than $25.00.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #8

I had slow hose gasket leak and replaced cabinet floor. I looked for every possible tray imaginable and gave up for now and will leave my WM valved off when not in use. I think my best plan was to use composite wall paneling to create a built in tray in place and highest grade sealer like polyurethane for all but front removable shoe maybe PVC lumber sealed with something more removable.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the time you spent reading my post and for the replies. It's a tight fit in there and nothing store bought will fit. I'll take all the suggestions and get to work on it. It would have been good if composite or watertight structure had been built in like a "wet bay". I used a good grade of white paint inside that area to help seal the wood. When the machine is installed, I won't be able to see much of the paint (it's that tight) since the walls are nearly touching the sides of the machine. It was built this way to keep the machine from moving during a trip. I'll get started on the pan, now. Thanks again.
travel_man is offline   Reply With Quote