Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
GEM1N1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 405
Washboard feeling on highway.

I have a bit of ďwheel hopĒ feeling if you will on the highway at times. 2019 Fleetwood discovery 44b. I just had my tires tested to be true and they are.

Since Iím sitting over the front wheels could this maybe something a steering stabilizer would cure? There no vibration in the steering wheel just through the chassis.

Thoughts?
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery 44b
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
I have a bit of ďwheel hopĒ feeling if you will on the highway at times. 2019 Fleetwood discovery 44b. I just had my tires tested to be true and they are.

Since Iím sitting over the front wheels could this maybe something a steering stabilizer would cure? There no vibration in the steering wheel just through the chassis.

Thoughts?
Does this happen at all speeds or is it worse at certain speeds? If you accelerate does it continue?
chucksdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
GEM1N1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksdp View Post
Does this happen at all speeds or is it worse at certain speeds? If you accelerate does it continue?


If Iím on smooth highway itís a non issue. Seems to happen on tougher pavement over 55 mph.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery 44b
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
GEM1N1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 405
As far as accelerating through it i donít believe i can.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery 44b
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 23
No sure of the feel you have but being a 44 ft DP on air bags, it should go down the road smooth. It's only a guess on my part but have you checked the ride height. I once had an issue with mine and I would have called a washboard feeling. If especially the rear bags are not up where they should be you'll feel it. I you're not familiar with this they maybe better to have someone check and adjust as needed. Good luck.
chucksdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
GEM1N1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksdp View Post
No sure of the feel you have but being a 44 ft DP on air bags, it should go down the road smooth. It's only a guess on my part but have you checked the ride height. I once had an issue with mine and I would have called a washboard feeling. If especially the rear bags are not up where they should be you'll feel it. I you're not familiar with this they maybe better to have someone check and adjust as needed. Good luck.


No clue on how to check or adjust that. They air up and the coach sits level when going down the road.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery 44b
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
GEM1N1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 405
Itís smooth as glass on good pavement. Thatís what has me thinking that when i get on bad/bumpy roads the front tires are shooting a shimmy through the chassis.

That would lead me to a steering stabilizer. I donít know.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery 44b
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
RescueRamsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 250
If the tires have been checked, next I would check the front end alignment, and ask them to check for worn ball joints or kingpins, or possibly a worn out steering box. A little bit of slop can make for a crap ride.
__________________
2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial 38PKD
370 Cummins ISL
RescueRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRamsey View Post
If the tires have been checked, next I would check the front end alignment, and ask them to check for worn ball joints or kingpins, or possibly a worn out steering box. A little bit of slop can make for a crap ride.


Itís a 2019 Discovery, hopefully no worn out parts.
__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,124
Is this your first motor home most will have some road feel.
__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
GEM1N1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Is this your first motor home most will have some road feel.


No. First pusher though.

Previous Workhorse 34í. I put a SafeTPlus stabilizer on it and it made a night and day difference on steering control. Donít know if that would be the case on what Iím feeling here.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery 44b
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,630
I would check the tire pressure. Sounds like itís too high. have you weighed the rig? If you have weights for front and rear axle, you can lookup the idea tire pressure to use for the weight.

If tire pressure is too high you will feel every bump in the road.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,452
Occasionally I find a section of pavement that has superficial ripples or something that will resonate and cause a sensation similar to a slightly unbalanced tire. I've observed this with multiple heavy vehicles and coaches. Most often on asphalt that's taking wear from a lot of trucks.
__________________
Been through all the continental states and provinces. Loving life on the road.
Finance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
GEM1N1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I would check the tire pressure. Sounds like itís too high. have you weighed the rig? If you have weights for front and rear axle, you can lookup the idea tire pressure to use for the weight.

If tire pressure is too high you will feel every bump in the road.


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9068.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	227652

Steer
Drive
Tag
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery 44b
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adjusting the WD bars for washboard fwy Highway 4x4 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 11 07-11-2015 06:36 PM
Top-Of-The-World Highway and The Dempster Highway lajuene Navigation, Routes & Roads 10 07-08-2014 12:24 PM
US Highway 199 (Red Woods Highway) flatpanel Navigation, Routes & Roads 8 07-08-2014 12:15 PM
Highway 38 or Highway 126 from Winchester Bay to I-5 JOC1212 Navigation, Routes & Roads 5 08-27-2008 10:37 AM
2007 Meridian - feeling a bit better jthvalkyrie Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 6 10-01-2006 03:43 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.