Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #15
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
No, they should not be used while traveling, but some do. They have concrete weights in them to help keep them balanced and they are mounted with springs.
There have been reports of the springs being permanently stretched by hitting bumps at the wrong time.
We had the single unit in the Dutch Star, never used it. Have the stacking units in the Magna, have not used them yet. Just haven't been out more than a couple weeks at a time or we stayed at friends and used theirs.
Mr_D

What are the concrete weights that you speak of. We have the Whirlpool stacking units and will be replacing the washer as the pump in the original went out. Was thinking you just replaced the washer with a new one and secured it to the compartment wall with "L" brackets like the old one.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 06:16 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Washer dryer. All in one or stackable?

Front loader washers have concrete weights built into them for stabilization.
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've got a combo unit in our new to us coach and I don't think it's ever been used. I'm going to take it out and get rid of it soon. I'll give it away to anyone willing to help me get it out of the coach, otherwise I'll take it apart and take it out in pieces.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've used our washer/dryer while dry camping for the last 2 months. With the grey water setup we have - we can run 2 loads every 5 days (our normal cycle). The washer/dryer runs to front grey water (40 gals) with only the kitchen sink and 1/2 bath running into it. Washer/dryer uses about 10 gals. PS: we have a 100 gal fresh water tank.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you to all for the replies.
Lots of great information. Looks like both set ups work well. Just a matter of space allocation. My wife and I are both very tall and it is tempting to get an all in one and mount it on the top shelf to make it easier to load and unload and that would leave the bottom area for storage. I would have to brace the shelf to hold the weight but it is doable.
Lots to think about !!
Thanks again !!!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Enjoy - we sure do!!!

Old 02-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #21

We have had the small Splendide in two of our coaches. I end up doing about 4 small loads a week. That seems to meet the needs for the 2 of us. I like the small size as it doesn't take up too much room. We had room to have a stackable, but am enjoying the extra closet space for coats. Also got a small drier rack that I use outside and put some of my heavier jeans on so they don't wrinkle after washing. If we have been boondocking a lot -- will use a bigger paid wash after a week or so, but have only had to do that 3 times in the last year.
StarteacherM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #22

We have the combo. It is purely a trade-off of space. The stackable is undoubtedly better but takes up more valuable space. We have three drawers where the dryer would go.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #23

We have room for a side x side, but DW wanted the space for a storage closet and for heavy coats, etc. We bought the Splendid Combo and are very happy with the choice. It probably takes longer than others, but that is a non-issue with us. We put in a load and in maybe 2 - 2.5 hours it is totally finished. It's whatever works for you!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Stackable - use it weekly. Do not use it when traveling.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #25

We have a never used combo unit. My wife stores shoes in it.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #26
UAV

IMHO, either the stackable or the over/under is a great thing to have.

Nothing worse than using those old machines at any laundrymat or RV park when God knows what has been in them.

I have a combo and use it all the time. I am a "simple" clothing kind of guy and dig having my own unit.

Sort of like having my own pillow...bed sheets...shower...etc. in the RV! I know I keep it clean and no "unknowns" or blacklights required.

Good luck!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #27
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Front loader washers have concrete weights built into them for stabilization.
Interesting. The new whirlpool washer that we are thinking of buying is a top loader so hopefully concrete will not be required.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ain't that the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
IMHO, either the stackable or the over/under is a great thing to have.

Nothing worse than using those old machines at any laundrymat or RV park when God knows what has been in them.

I have a combo and use it all the time. I am a "simple" clothing kind of guy and dig having my own unit.

Sort of like having my own pillow...bed sheets...shower...etc. in the RV! I know I keep it clean and no "unknowns" or blacklights required.

Good luck!
DW didn't like going to some of laundromats - even some on military post. Machines don't work, expensive ($2.50 per load), and the worst of all - the laundromat nazi (similar to the Soup Nazi).

PS: I was in the appliance business for years - got away from the counterbalance concrete block for a bit - some came back - it's a matter of poor engineering.

Not sure if the Splendide has them or not. But it is a great product so - hopefully not.