Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We've had three Splendides....two combos and one separate washer and dryer. Separate is definitely better, and, if you have the electric capability, and can run both at the same time.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #16

We have a single unit. If I were looking and could I would get 2 units. The dry time on the single unit is such that if you've got 4 loads of clothes you're looking at nearly 2 days of washing. The single works but the split units would just be that much faster.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been using the Splindide 2100XC for over 6 years of full time use. It works great for it's intended purpose. The usual problem with them is people do not read or follow the manufacturer's operating instructions....surprise, surprise surprise.

What we like is that we can put in a load that is dry and dirty and take off for an adventure and when we get back, we have a load of clothes that are dry and clean.

You cannot expect them to preform like a full sized home unit. Plus they take up less space than a stackable unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey 74.5 View Post
Wondering if anyone has experience with the difference in performance between seperate washer and dryer verses the combo units and if combo, which brand/model works best?
I currently have the Whirlpool separates but am considering replacing with a combo unit for more storage and less weight on the main slide.
Thanks
If you have unlimited space and weight carrying capacity then go stack-able. If space and weight is a concern then go with the combo. Capacity is just about the same for both types 24 inch width and same diameter drum.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #19

there is an advantage to the combo. You can start a load and leave for the day. It will go through wash and dry cycles without you having to be there.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #20

Location: Full-Timer, currently in Benson, AZ (for the winter)
Separate and loving it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey 74.5 View Post
Wondering if anyone has experience with the difference in performance between seperate washer and dryer verses the combo units and if combo, which brand/model works best?
I currently have the Whirlpool separates but am considering replacing with a combo unit for more storage and less weight on the main slide.
Thanks
We have separate Whirlpool units and love them both. We also have friends that have a combo unit that they wish they didn't have.

We can wash a batch, put it in the dryer, then start another batch in the washer .aka. multi-tasking!
Jaj1260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
The dry time on the single unit is such that if you've got 4 loads of clothes you're looking at nearly 2 days of washing. .
So wrong. We can do 5 to 6 loads in one day with the combo. You have to learn how to use it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaj1260 View Post
We have separate Whirlpool units and love them both. We also have friends that have a combo unit that they wish they didn't have.

We can wash a batch, put it in the dryer, then start another batch in the washer .aka. multi-tasking!
Exactly
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:59 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Space was the decision maker for me. But I have to say, once I learned how to use the combo, I enjoy putting thing in and leaving for the day without worrying about moving things from the washer to the dryer. I start the machine and come back to clothes that are ready to put away. It may be nice to have a washer that is done in 45 minutes, but not when I have to be there to move stuff.

The combo unit does a good job for the 2 of us on a regular basis, and we've managed a week with 6 of us without a problem.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:25 AM   #24

It all depends on your preference and how you like to do laundry. We have a combo and usually do a load every other day. We also usually hang dry our clothes on a portable hanger either inside during the night or outside depending CG rules. As with most things in RV life, you have to look at the compromises vs what is important to you. As FT'ers, space is a premium for us.
PS - I removed our stack units and installed a combo W/D.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #25

We have a small vented Splendide combo, would like to have gotten separate units but space did not permit. Our is okay when there's just the two of us, but a couple of thick towels and a pair of jeans and that's pretty much a load. We often have more people with us which has us wishing for more capacity. I like the idea of using the washer as your hamper, haven't been doing that.
Your units are already installed, paid for and working. In the pursuit of space you might have some items that would store okay in the dryer, maybe in a bag that could easily be pulled out when needed. Or, maybe you've got a few things that could ride in one of the basement compartments? It's just me, but it seems like you're going to spend money to go backwards.