Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #15

Oh and always spray down front and mirrors with bugs n all (or similar bug removed) and wipe the buggy grime off with warm water. Prior to wash.
MCRV Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 07:01 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRV Passion View Post
Another major ditto on the Moppins system ! It is a fantastic set up.

I’ve only used Johnson baby shampoo on my rig and she’s still washes up looking great. Newmar suggested the baby shampoo and I’ve found it perfect for all my vehicles with new clear coat paint.
You would not pull a guy's leg? I do clean my CPAP with baby shampoo!
Old 10-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #17

Wow,
All kinds of OVER THINKING on just washing an RV. We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and it's a full body painted coach. It's now over 17 years old and has 100,800 miles on the clock. We've owned it for 10 of those years and I've washed it maybe 25-30 (or more) times in those years and it's been hand waxed (by me) oh, maybe 6-8 times too.

It still looks just as fine now as the day we bought it, 10 years ago. I've used regular old dish soap or, maybe I'll splurge and get some Mcguires wash soap from Walmart if it's on sale. I use a soft bristled brush I bought from Home Depot. These coaches and their paint, are not DELACATE. It's either a Urethane based paint or something very similar. I've use all kinds of wax too. NOTHING LASTS, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And all this hype about *Ceramic coating*, well, I tried one on a section and what a total waste of time and money. You couldn't tell where I started an left off. JUNK!

Folks, use what makes you happy. I want a clean coach, that's it. It's just not that hard. Oh, by the way, I use a deionized water system, when the resin is still good. That makes for easy drying with zero spots. But, with our *Hammer* water (i.e. HARD) the resin doesn't last all that long.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #18

It's not a classic Ferrari. It's a motorhome. Whatever works for your car will work for your coach.

I use RV Extreme Detail in Houston. I don't know what products they use, but they are excellent.

The coach looks like it's ready for a show when they are done.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:15 PM   #19

I have always used what ever Wash/wax Costco has and a soft extended brush and I have the coach hand waxed at least once a year. I cut my wash time to about 20 min with the Adams de-ionizer water system. Wash it good, rinse and can drip dry with no water spots but I always do at least the windows with a squeegee
Old 10-17-2021, 04:21 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have only owned my RV for less than two years so don't have a lot of experience, but I do like a clean machine. I am currently using this window washing head from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
only because I already had one I used for my house windows and it worked well. It is very light and easy to use on the end of a pole and fits well in a bucket. I am tall enough that I don't need an extendable pole, a standard 5' paint roller pole reaches all the way to the top for me. I tried my car wash brush first, but it was too heavy to use over my head.
I am currently using "Gel Gloss RV Wash and Wax" because it was recommended by many folks here on this forum.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It works well and leaves a nice shine. I also waxed the entire coach last week using "Nu Finish", again recommended by many here. It is a lot more work but I am hoping it will protect the finish better than the wash and wax alone. I just plan on using the Nu Finish once a year but will use the Wash and Wax every time I wash it. BTW, last week I used the Wash and Wax to clean the entire coach and then went over it the next day with the Nu Finish. Maybe overkill but it sure is shiny now. I store my coach in an RV port with full sides but open on both ends so it is mostly protected from the elements while being stored. It will now remain under cover until we head south in January.
I like the look of the "Mary Moppins" wash head mentioned here and might get one myself.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:10 AM   #21

I have washed our RV once in the years we have had it.
Did a couple months after purchase, have no idea if previous owner ever washed it.
We used the stuff that guy on tv advertising how to wash the house windows with the garden hose. Actually worked very well.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #22

Truck washes as well as Awesome cleaner will ruin your paint too. The acid in the wash takes years out of the paint and leave streaks in the paint.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #23

It really doesnt matter...whatever apparatus use to touch the coach, once it hits the ground, its junk until you clean it. Reusing will just scratch and mar the surface.

Mary Mopins ..lamb wool embeds dirt and is hard to remove
jcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #24

LOL........It’s A MOTOR HOME....

It have a painted surface like millions of automobiles.

I use McGuire car wash, for all my vehicles. Including my C7.

Wax as needed. You are over thinking this.

It’s not that difficult.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:38 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like I said in other threads, I use the cheapest Wash N' Wax I can find at Walmart. The Blue stuff. I get on my roof 3 times a yr, NO SHOES and do my thing. Then I wash the rest of the Rig 4-5 times a yr.
I used to use a normal car wash brush that I picked up at Walmart, until last yr when I met this nice feller at a Campground. He was washing his rig with a brush I had never seen. So I asked him he said it's a Boars Hair brush. He lets it soak for 10-15 min's before he uses it and then goes to work. Man oh man did it do a good job (whatever that means, right? lol). Well I got right on the Internet and ordered one, unfortunately they're not cheap, they start at $80 and can go as high as $170, from what I saw. But hey, I don't have many vices no grand kids (Just a son, like that's not enough, lol) just a monthly ck that leaves me with enough extra cash to Spoil my (rig) "Space shuttle." lol.
Now if you wanna really go the extra mile, (another thing I learned from that gentleman), Rinse your rig with De-ionized water. You can get a De-ionizer ghizmo for around $245 upward. Sky's the limit. But I don't use one because you really can't tell if someone is using it on his/her rig unless you get w/in 8 or less feet of it and if you're getting that close to MY rig, we're either friends or having a beer. My Rig's 9 yrs old and like many of Y'alls rigs we still get complements too.
Too make it simple, I wash my rig the way I wash my car in my driveway. The only thing I'm very particular about is the ROOF on my Rig. DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR RV ROOF. Wash it 2-3 times a yr. JMHO.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:47 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Maguires pink car wash soap (Costco)
Walmart soft blue brush with telescopic handle.
Annual Turtle wax carnauba wax job with Griots orbital polisher.
Aero Cosmetics Wash n Wax All for "in between" soap and water wash jobs and campground detailing.
Sea power marine cleaner wax on the fiberglass roof, cap and edges annually.
21 years old and still looking good.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Ditto on Molly Poppins but I also use a DI tank for washing/rinsing from RV-Mods. I have a black/grey coach. I rinse and walk away. No drying whatsoever and ZERO mineral spots. I've done at least 6 washes on current resin and still reads zero ppm.

https://rv-mods.com/store/
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylandorsea View Post
I tried a search, must not have used the best search words.

I am hoping for a good tip on RV washing brushes and RV wash for painted RV's.

I like the truck washes when convenient, Blue Beacon some how turned a friends aluminum wheels milky, not sure why?
Milky or hazed aluminum rims are the result of acid-washing them.
I never use any cleaner except regular car wash soap on the entire RV. I use a 12" wide car washing brush with a telescoping handle that extends to 12" long instead of the handle shown.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome