Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 12:27 PM   #1

Water Filter Design Question

My Fleetwood Flair came with the 'whole house' style water filter in the plumbing bay, the kind that goes into the unscrewable bowl. It's 2.5 x 10 inches.

I saw online this seems to be a popular filter, and is used in many non-RV systems, as well. So I bought a couple of replacements before actually needing them.

But then I realized the original filter is blocked off at the bottom, whereas the commonly-available replacement filters are open on both ends. I don't see this design difference mentioned anywhere, otherwise I'd just look for replacements which are the same as the original.

Seems like it would make a difference, right? Being closed at the bottom forces water through the filter.

Or am I over-thinking this? How do the filters that are open on both ends actually filter the water? And why would my original one be closed at one end if it doesn't make any difference?
kwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 01:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiebe View Post
My Fleetwood Flair came with the 'whole house' style water filter in the plumbing bay, the kind that goes into the unscrewable bowl. It's 2.5 x 10 inches.

I saw online this seems to be a popular filter, and is used in many non-RV systems, as well. So I bought a couple of replacements before actually needing them.

But then I realized the original filter is blocked off at the bottom, whereas the commonly-available replacement filters are open on both ends. I don't see this design difference mentioned anywhere, otherwise I'd just look for replacements which are the same as the original.

Seems like it would make a difference, right? Being closed at the bottom forces water through the filter.

Or am I over-thinking this? How do the filters that are open on both ends actually filter the water? And why would my original one be closed at one end if it doesn't make any difference?
By open on both ends, are you talking about an inline hose filter? If so, they are blocked inside and the filter medium is not replaceable. I use a three stage filer system by Clearsource.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:59 PM   #3

Pictures help a LOT!!

In a standard 2 1/2x10 filter water is filtered as it passes through the element. The filter housing has raised ridges which seal inside the center openings on the top and bottom. Are you sure there not a cap plug in the opening which should be removed?

The other thing I can think of is maybe you got a 3US-PF01 filter. It's a filter and housing in one piece, rounded bottom, not flat on the other end, generally used for filtering water at a sink tap or ice maker.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:03 PM   #4

Does it look like this.
https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...pos=4&exp=true
they take 10" x 2.5" filters
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:17 AM   #5

As 153Stars posted, a 2.5 x10 filter housing topically has a plug and ridge at the bottom of the bowl that when the bowl is threaded tight, clamps the filter. There are differing variations on the outside of the filter chamber but all basically the same in the inside.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Pictures help a LOT!!

In a standard 2 1/2x10 filter water is filtered as it passes through the element. The filter housing has raised ridges which seal inside the center openings on the top and bottom. Are you sure there not a cap plug in the opening which should be removed?

The other thing I can think of is maybe you got a 3US-PF01 filter. It's a filter and housing in one piece, rounded bottom, not flat on the other end, generally used for filtering water at a sink tap or ice maker.

I attd photo of the housing type and the type of cartridge I bought. If you hold up the cartridge I bought, you can see right through it, down the center. If you hold up my original cartridge, the end marked 'top' is open, but the bottom is closed off and not a removable plug.
kwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:48 PM   #7

Looks like the element should work in the housing to me.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:53 PM   #8

This is looking in the side of a clear filter housing at the very bottom. It uses a filter like the picture you posted, it fits over the guide/ridge in the center that lines up the filter. It has the same setup in the top. The top and bottom both use a black gasket like the filter in your picture.

You need to look into your housing and see if it has the guide for the filter to slide over. If it doesn't and the black gasket in your old filter doesn't have a hole in the center can you take that gasket out of the old filter and put it in the new filter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	388665  
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:12 PM   #9

There are filters that just have a neck that go up in the top filter the go with RO prefilter type housings. If your having trouble finding strange filter type. The housing I posted is less than $20 you can get carbon block filter down to .5 micron. Maybe not .5-1 micron but filters are at any big box store. Those type at big box mostly fit RO canister type with top only neck . Those are less economical to use a whole MH filter. I use 1 micron to fill my fresh tank slowly as there's a gpm rating to remove the nasties in the water .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiebe View Post

Look at filter p5 pack of (6) at Amazon $20

Tags
water