Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #1

Water Filter Failure

Friday, Dec.3, 2021, I bought a new replacement water filter for my coach from Camping World in San Martine, CA. The filter I purchased was a Camco HL-170 which was supposedly a direct replacement for my Sureflow filter mounted under my kitchen sink. The filter was installed the next day just after lunch. I periodically checked the filter for the next two hours to make sure there were no leaks at the fittings. There were no leaks.

At about 3 pm I was sitting in a lounge chair next to the sink when I heard a very loud “pop” followed by the sound of gushing water. I looked at the kitchen sink cabinet and water was pouring out of the doors. When I opened the cabinet doors I was doused with stream of water like a hose running full bore. I could see the cap of the Camco filter had blown completely off. Water was going everywhere along with the activated charcoal filter medium. Immediately I went outside the coach and shut off the water supply to the coach. The amount of time was only a few short minutes. However, in that time the coach sink cabinet, adjoining cabinet drawers were all flooded. The water had shot across the the coach and flooded the floor tile and soaked the carpet. Took nearly 2 hours of work with sponges, a wet / dry shop vac and nearly a dozen large beach towels to soak up all the water. Note that the filter is rated for 100 pounds and my pressure regulator keeps the coach pressure at about 50 pounds.

Upon close inspection of the cap it can be seen that the filter cap does not have threads but is held in place by PVC plastic glue applied to a ridge that is only about one quarter inch wide. Apparently the cap was not properly installed and glued. Fortunately I was in the coach and next to the filter when it failed. One can only imagine the magnitude of the disaster if the water had been left to run.

Has anyone else had experience with these filters failing? I returned the defective filter for a full refund. I won’t be buying any more filters from Camping World. The store manager was indifferent to the problem and said they intended to continue selling them and I should take the problem to “Corporate”.
Buyers be ware if you have one of these Camco filters.

JK
2007 Monaco Cayman
John Kaehms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about the filter failure.
This is one of the reasons that I run off of the Fresh Water Tank and Pump. When done, we shut the pump off. The switches get a lot of use though.

Once every 4 days I refill the tank.
Can you imagine if it happened at 2:30 am?

Here is what I use for filtering my dedicated drinking water faucet:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/p...omnipure+K2520

Great Customer Service also.

Tim
Old 12-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #3

Out of curiosity I went on Amazon... reviewer RVdave same thing came to flooded MH. Other leaking at seam on more than one to another buyer. Page 2 blow out.
I think Hydrolife has been around a long time, maybe Camco just putting name on distributing them or bought them out.
I may ditch inline filters after reading these and go to small under sink type.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #4

Wow, good thing you were there! We have that exact same filter under our sink. I hate to think what would happen if that thing split while we were away from the coach. I think I'll shut the water off when I leave from now on.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Sorry to hear about the filter failure.
This is one of the reasons that I run off of the Fresh Water Tank and Pump. When done, we shut the pump off. The switches get a lot of use though.

Once every 4 days I refill the tank.
Can you imagine if it happened at 2:30 am?

Tim
In answer to you question, "if it happened at 2:30 am" - Well, there'd be a naked person running around the campground. LOL

However, after reading your habit of using the onboard pump and water, you've just made a convert of me - I've always been nervous about leaving the campground water on all the time but the paranoia never got high enough to make me consider alternatives (shame on me!). And, heck, all of us know we can't trust the electricity in a CG - why would be trust the water (pressure/purity).

We use a small countertop Berkey water filter for our drinking and cooking water.

Thanks for adding your {wise} comment.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
In answer to you question, "if it happened at 2:30 am" - Well, there'd be a naked person running around the campground. LOL

However, after reading your habit of using the onboard pump and water, you've just made a convert of me - I've always been nervous about leaving the campground water on all the time but the paranoia never got high enough to make me consider alternatives (shame on me!). And, heck, all of us know we can't trust the electricity in a CG - why would be trust the water (pressure/purity).

We use a small countertop Berkey water filter for our drinking and cooking water.

Thanks for adding your {wise} comment.

Domo, We have an inline filter at the spigot, the under counter filter for the drinking and cooking, and a Brita Pitcher for the Ice water. May be overkill, but it only takes 30 seconds to fill the Britta.

Tim
Old 12-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Were you running a water pressure regulator?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Were you running a water pressure regulator?
Yes, he said he has one and keeps it at about 50psi.

This is another reason why I don't have under the sink water filter. There's just no need to have one to have safe, good tasting water for every use. My water is triple filtered and softened BEFORE it comes into the coach or filling the fresh water tank.

I copied my water set up after this fella. It has worked flawless for the last 5yrs. and takes me 3 minutes to setup once we land somewhere. His awesome brass quick disconnects makes this possible.

We also always turn off our city water whenever we leave the RV for any reason and at night time we use our water pump and fresh water and then turn it off when we go to bed.

mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
This is another reason why I don't have under the sink water filter. There's just no need to have one to have safe, good tasting water for every use. My water is triple filtered and softened BEFORE it comes into the coach or filling the fresh water tank.
I rely on an under-the-sink reverse osmosis (RO) filter for drinking water because "triple filtered" doesn't remove a lot of harmful stuff.

Quote:
I copied my water set up after this fella. It has worked flawless for the last 5yrs. and takes me 3 minutes to setup once we land somewhere. His awesome brass quick disconnects makes this possible.
I watched his video. He has some good tips, especially with tools, but when he called sediment filters "sedi filters", he lost some credibility. However, the clincher was when I noticed he stored his water hose tub right under his waste water valves.

I built a wall to separate my Sewer/Water sides:

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:51 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, he said he has one and keeps it at about 50psi.

We also always turn off our city water whenever we leave the RV for any reason and at night time we use our water pump and fresh water and then turn it off when we go to bed.

Yeah....I missed the pressure regulator.....reading too fast.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I watched his video. He has some good tips, especially with tools, but when he called sediment filters "sedi filters", he lost some credibility. However, the clincher was when I noticed he stored his water hose tub right under his waste water valves.
Ok that's funny right there. "sediment filters vs "sedi filters" oh jeeze.
And if you think having a hose tub under the coach near the wet bay is a problem, then you must have leaking waste water valves. You need to get those fixed ASAP.

But on the other hand you might have a point. He probably doesn't have enough sense to keep that out of the way when he's connecting and disconnecting and he probably never cleans it either.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water