Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2022, 12:05 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Yes, retracting the slide can allow water to come inside. This is normal.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I never thought about that being normal. I would think that if the seals are good then none could come in, even when retracting the slideout.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
+1 on this. My Discovery 40G slide toppers would fill with water and sag which caused 2 problems. If you don't retract the slides carefully the topper can get wrapped up the wrong way in the mechanism. Also, We'd get water on top of the slide which would come gushing in as soon as I'd move the coach. I got blasted in the driver's seat once and another time the water splashed back into my bedroom.

Now there is no way to tell if this is the cause of the water in the unit you're looking at. It is possible, but I'd be wary and look for other sources.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use a combination of 3 pool noodles taped together to form a pyramid...I have 2 14' slides (1) 19" & (1) 22" deep so 2 sets of the noodles are shoved in from each side to meet in the middle forming a high spot under the topper & letting the water roll off the middle & sides..no more pooling!!! For the deep slide I use 2 good quality pool mattresses (the ones that have the reinforced pockets) that are 6' long each & 28" wide & about 6" high. I do the same & putting in from each side & no water pools there either. I'm winter in SW Florida since November 1st with no water pooling issues.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #19

Not sure what might be normal. My slides don't leak. If snow gets on the topper I brush it off before moving the slides. The best plan is to keep water from pooling. Making sure there is no slack in the fabric and then treating with a UV and water proofing spray should solve most of the problems. As a note, we were caught in about a week of heavy southern downpour, mild flooding around the park one winter and no problems with pooling or any water intrusion.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:21 AM   #20

Thank you for your advice!
Shaun2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:26 AM   #21

Thank you for your advice!
Shaun2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:09 AM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I need to made a correction..my deep slide is 30" deep not 22" & the pool rafts are 28" wide & I only put enough air in them to elevate the topper to shed water.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:21 AM   #23

Couple observations. Salesguys should not leave slides open to get snowed on, but that's just common sense.
This was happening to me, my theory was because the coach was sitting uneven in the driveway so the water was following gravity. Then I dug deeper and a couple of the side toppers had pulled away the molding line opening the coach to water problem #1. So with that being fixed I decided to replace all the aging topper fabric with new white vinyl material. Water has not pooled yet but if it did I'd try raising one end of the coach, maybe that would work. Fabric does tend to sag with age and/or tension issues with the topper mechanism.
Regardless, that upper slide seal "should" stop water even when the slide is retracted and if it's possible to get on a step ladder and watch the top from inside as it comes in, that might provide insight. I did that with my TT and went ah-ha, I can see water getting past the seal due to seal damage. Replaced seal.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:25 PM   #24

I will never forget when I learned that the topper doesn’t keep water from accumulating on the slide. When pulling them in, didn’t think to check. Pulled out of the site and first pump of brakes…. Splish splash I was taking a bath! I never move now before checking. My seals do not take all the water off when retracting.
Lionsshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Must be lucky. Never had any water come in when retracting slides on this MH or the TT. I always start the slide in about a quarter of the way and wait a bit, then another quarter, and another, then all the way in. If I raise one end of the unit just a bit I only have to watch one end of the slide to see when the water stops flowing off.

Tags
slide, water