Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 104
Water from roof

After replacing a broken AC shroud, I noticed when it rains, water gets into the RV and there’s water spots on the ceiling. Looking for sealant recommendations to put around the roof AC unit to stop water from entering. Thanks
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,538
It seems odd that replacing a shroud would cause a leak, but this is the stuff to use around the AC unit, or any other seam on the roof.
https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-Self-Le...58333851&psc=1

It COULD be that water is coming in farther away and that it's just making its way through the ceiling at the AC opening. So as long as you're on the roof check/seal any other openings or seams.
__________________
2013 Winnebago Sightseer 36V
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Dunrollin's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: FL
Posts: 278
Two things come to mind. First, in many units the water collects into a little plastic trough and goes out a hole in one end. That hole often gets plugged and needs to be kept clean. If it is working OK the water just rolls off the roof. Some units have a drain that collects the water and sends it to the ground.

Also there is a foam gasket under the AC unit and if you are having a leak from the AC to the interior of the motorhome that gasket should be changed out. It is about a 30 minute to one hour job and requires average skills. There are lots of videos on this task, just remember to tighten it carefully as too tight is worse than not tight enough.

If these two things are completed you shouldn't need to add sealant around the AC.
__________________
2002 Damon Escaper (Sassafras). 3126E Caterpillar, Allison 6 speed.
Dunrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6,314
Correct-- NO SEALANT.


Replace the foam gasket-- torque evenly so that gasket is compressed to 1/2 its original height.


Easy job with two people-- not really heavy, but bulky and much easier to place properly with two.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:04 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 52,066
It could be that the bolts that pull the A/C unit down against the foam gasket are not tight enough. I would try that first.
__________________
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
It seems odd that replacing a shroud would cause a leak, but this is the stuff to use around the AC unit, or any other seam on the roof.
https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-Self-Le...58333851&psc=1

It COULD be that water is coming in farther away and that it's just making its way through the ceiling at the AC opening. So as long as you're on the roof check/seal any other openings or seams.
Thanks for responding. It started letting rain in immediately after the shroud was replaced. I believe I need the gasket mentioned by the others.
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:23 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunrollin View Post
Two things come to mind. First, in many units the water collects into a little plastic trough and goes out a hole in one end. That hole often gets plugged and needs to be kept clean. If it is working OK the water just rolls off the roof. Some units have a drain that collects the water and sends it to the ground.

Also there is a foam gasket under the AC unit and if you are having a leak from the AC to the interior of the motorhome that gasket should be changed out. It is about a 30 minute to one hour job and requires average skills. There are lots of videos on this task, just remember to tighten it carefully as too tight is worse than not tight enough.

If these two things are completed you shouldn't need to add sealant around the AC.
Thanks, I’ll look for the hole and the gasket. I don’t recall seeing either.
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It could be that the bolts that pull the A/C unit down against the foam gasket are not tight enough. I would try that first.
I gotta find this gasket. I think it’s missing
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunrollin View Post
Two things come to mind. First, in many units the water collects into a little plastic trough and goes out a hole in one end. That hole often gets plugged and needs to be kept clean. If it is working OK the water just rolls off the roof. Some units have a drain that collects the water and sends it to the ground.

Also there is a foam gasket under the AC unit and if you are having a leak from the AC to the interior of the motorhome that gasket should be changed out. It is about a 30 minute to one hour job and requires average skills. There are lots of videos on this task, just remember to tighten it carefully as too tight is worse than not tight enough.

If these two things are completed you shouldn't need to add sealant around the AC.
You were 100% correct. After cleaning the water tray with the two little holes and after replacing the foam gasket, all is well. ThankYou for pointing me in the right direction.
Qstaar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Dunrollin's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: FL
Posts: 278
Good to hear you are OK. Safe travels!
__________________
2002 Damon Escaper (Sassafras). 3126E Caterpillar, Allison 6 speed.
Dunrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roof, water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lance trailer “flat roof” makes roof water ponds -- problems prentice Travel Trailer Discussion 28 01-28-2018 11:32 PM
Roof AC, when running, water runs off roof frederick w iRV2.com General Discussion 14 07-06-2013 02:16 AM
Liquid Roof Coating for EPDM RV rubber roof RobCN 5th Wheel Discussion 2 02-25-2009 06:20 PM
Roof treatment for my 5ver- type of roof? wanderinf350 5th Wheel Discussion 6 01-19-2009 09:21 AM
Caulk roof gutter seam for fiberglass roof Pap, Penna Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 5 09-22-2007 04:50 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.