Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #1

Water Heater Bypass Valve

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey and my water heater bypass valve failed this summer. I purchased and installed a new valve and have used the camper for weeks with the valve in "normal" mode and had no problems. I thought it was all hooked up okay until I just tried to freeze protect the coach for the winter. With the valve in "bypass" mode the antifreeze is pumped into my water heater. I obviously got the three hoses connected wrong. The hoses are not labeled and I don't know how to proceed with changes. There are no RV service shops nearby and the ones I can drive to are booked. I need to rework the connections and get my coach freeze protected. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
123Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #2

Your Winnebago has a valve with a handle on one side of the heater and a check valve on the other.
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #3

Thank you for the input.
I am aware of the check valve but have not yet found it. I also have found the plumbing diagrams for my coach and have carefully reviewed the installation. I believe everything is connected correctly and that the new bypass valve I installed is working properly. When the system is in normal mode a significant flow of water is provided to the hot water heater. I know that because I tested the system with the water heater drain open. However, when the valve is moved to bypass position, water still flows to the water heater but at a reduced flow. Again, I know the bypass valve works because I checked it separately. I am thinking that I may have a bad check valve. Is that a common / possible failure item? When my original bypass valve failed this summer, it blew apart while I was driving. Could my original bypass valve and my check valve have both failed during the same incident? I don't have experience to draw upon but a bad check valve seems to be the only thing I have not yet checked.

Is the check valve installed on or behind the water heater? Is it easy to replace? Also, do I need to be concerned if get antifreeze in my water heater when I freeze protect. Buying 10 more gallons of antifreeze my be my best short term solution.
I am still in need of some expertise. Thanks again.
Bill P.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #4

Winnebago likes to use Check valves in Hot Out port AND Cold Inlet port

New 3 way valve should close off ALL flow to hot out line
Cold inlet flows to/thru bypass valve and then into hot water line downstream of WH Tank

So....Hot Out check valve and/or Cold Inlet check valve could be bad

Issue with Anti-freeze in water heater
*Excess quantity needed
*Anti-freeze can be difficult to fully rinse out of WH Tank
(Frothy/foaming water)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. I am pretty sure my check valve(s) have debris blocking them from closing. Since the valve(s) are behind the water heater the location is difficult to access. I am going to fill my water heater with antifreeze this year since time is short before cold weather. I will decide later about replacing the check valve(s). Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #6

I have the same problem with a brand-new 5er. It is back at the dealership right now to get sorted out under warrantee.

I put a couple of gallons of antifreeze into the water heater before I figured out that something was seriously wrong. (I should have released pressure in the water line before I removed the anode to drain it out .) I flushed the water heater from the anode hole to get the pink out.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton. The check valve or backflow valve was bad on mine. It was located very close to the hot water tank.

Tags
heat, heater, valve, water, water heater