Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2021, 11:08 AM   #1

Water Heater developed odors?

The water heater in my Travel Supreme 40DS 2002 has developed a weird phenomenon recently. The cold water from the campground faucet is fine, but the hot has developed a sulfur/sewer kind of smell. I replaced the element two years ago and clean it annually. I am on top of anode replacement since I've owned the coach (6 -7 years). But in the last two campgrounds over a few weeks this odor appears. I flushed the tank leaving the last place - thoroughly. I replaced the anode even though it wasn't all that eaten away. Now 3 weeks into a month's stay at another campground the same thing - yesterday I drained and flushed the water heater, sanded the anode back to bright metal, and will see if it happens again. Since it was two campgrounds I'm not looking to blame the incoming water - as a heater ages does this type of thing happen from ??? wear? Use? ??? Anyone have similar issues? Thanks to all who respond.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #2

What/how are you flushing?

If all your doing is using water to flush, I’m thinking there is residual muck in the tank that may need bleach and/or vinegar to break down.
And I’m thinking it’s going to take a few hours to let whatever cleaners you use to break down the muck, not a few minutes.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #3

Anode Rod can react with bacteria in the Source water and create sulfur smell
Changing from the OEM Magnesium Rod to Aluminum Rod may be all that is needed
Magnesium Rod has a 'teat' on end of hex head
Aluminum Rod has a flat hex head

May need to sanitize WH Tank using chlorine
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #4

Usually the rotten eggs smell comes from anaerobic bacteria. Most of us have had it in our systems and have had to sanitize with bleach. Seldom is the water heater sanitize because it is bypassed.

It sounds like you have some gunk in the water heater and it is harboring the bacteria. So you should get one of those wands and shove it into the anode hole and flush out the crud.

Next you will want to sanitize with bleach including the water heater. However, do not leave it for more than a couple of hours, as the bleach will corrode the tank.

About the anodes. If I remember correctly atwood tanks are aluminum, while Surburbans are steel. For steel magnesium, zinc, and aluminum are ok. However, for aluminum only use magnesium. Other tanks are similar. Just know what the tank material is and use the appropriate anode. When in doubt use magnesium. It corrodes faster but the reaction products are harmless.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #5

I have this issue at my house due to the iron in the water reacting with the aluminum anode in the water heater. I replaced the anode rod with a zinc one and the problem went away.
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
Usually the rotten eggs smell comes from anaerobic bacteria. Most of us have had it in our systems and have had to sanitize with bleach. Seldom is the water heater sanitize because it is bypassed.

It sounds like you have some gunk in the water heater and it is harboring the bacteria. So you should get one of those wands and shove it into the anode hole and flush out the crud.

Next you will want to sanitize with bleach including the water heater. However, do not leave it for more than a couple of hours, as the bleach will corrode the tank.

About the anodes. If I remember correctly atwood tanks are aluminum, while Surburbans are steel. For steel magnesium, zinc, and aluminum are ok. However, for aluminum only use magnesium. Other tanks are similar. Just know what the tank material is and use the appropriate anode. When in doubt use magnesium. It corrodes faster but the reaction products are harmless.
Atwood ...doesn't use any anode rod cause of the aluminum tank which has a cladding on the inside
Old 08-13-2021, 09:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Atwood ...doesn't use any anode rod cause of the aluminum tank which has a cladding on the inside

The issue did originate with the installation of the current anode which has no markings so from your discussion it's Aluminum as the Suburban tank is definitely steel, your theory might have exceptions. I am sure there is no accumulated debris in there - I flush it every year same as the one in my condo. I have 4 other anodes on board - one is clearly labeled magnesium, the other 3 have coded part numbers but don't say plainly what they are made of ... think it was an Amazon order so I can backtrack through them to contact the vendor. On a boat I owned the tank was Aluminum and it clearly called for magnesium anodes. Thanks for your input. Peter
Old 08-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #8

Was this coach winterized? RV antifreeze in the system over the winter?
If so, then flush the water heater, fill with 5% white vinegar and turn on heater for 24 hours. Then flush a few times.
Rotten sulphur smell from minerals in the tank and RV antifreeze will go away.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
The issue did originate with the installation of the current anode which has no markings so from your discussion it's Aluminum as the Suburban tank is definitely steel, your theory might have exceptions. I am sure there is no accumulated debris in there - I flush it every year same as the one in my condo. I have 4 other anodes on board - one is clearly labeled magnesium, the other 3 have coded part numbers but don't say plainly what they are made of ... think it was an Amazon order so I can backtrack through them to contact the vendor. On a boat I owned the tank was Aluminum and it clearly called for magnesium anodes. Thanks for your input. Peter

Magnesium Anode Rod will have the 'teat' on end of hex head
Aluminum Anode Rod No teat...flat surface on end of Anode Rod

Marine Aluminum Water Heater....different requirements then an Atwood RV Aluminum Water Heater....no anode rod Per Atwood nor is there a place to install. Drain Plug is NYLON due to aluminum tank threads
Old 08-13-2021, 11:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD104X View Post
I have this issue at my house due to the iron in the water reacting with the aluminum anode in the water heater. I replaced the anode rod with a zinc one and the problem went away.
What is the tank material?
Old 08-13-2021, 11:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Magnesium Anode Rod will have the 'teat' on end of hex head
Aluminum Anode Rod No teat...flat surface on end of Anode Rod

Marine Aluminum Water Heater....different requirements then an Atwood RV Aluminum Water Heater....no anode rod Per Atwood nor is there a place to install. Drain Plug is NYLON due to aluminum tank threads
Since 1988 I have used magnesium anodes in atwood aluminum water heaters. The anode goes where the drain plug was.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The rotten egg smell is caused by crenothrix bacteria that is common in water supplies where the water is high in sulfates and has iron. The anode rod also helps promote the growth of this bacteria. It ocurrs in warm and hot water ( typically found in water heaters and storage tanks that sit in a warm climate). It creates the smell by digesting the sulfates for oxygen, converting them to hydrogen sulfide.

I lived with it in our well water in PA for 40 years. I found that the best way to get rid of the smell was to add unscented hydrogen peroxide to the hot water tank about once every 3-4 weeks. I did this by draining about a quart of water from the heater , removing the pressure relief valve, and pouring it in the top of the hot water tank.

The unscented hydrogen peroxide can be purchased in the bleach section of any grocery store.

Bleach is not any where as effective in removing the smell as is hydrogen peroxide.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #13

I've never winterized the water system as I live in NE Florida and any "hard" freezes are just a few hours here and there. Also, I strive to get farther south in the winter months when I can find a decent park and site. As the issue began when I put the anode in this June, I checked and all my other anodes are magnesium so installed one today and ... fingers crossed. The "bad" anode, if that was the cause, has no markings so from what I've been told on this site it's aluminum.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MingusPirate View Post
What is the tank material?

I have no idea, it’s a standard residential Whirlpool water heater. I had a slight odor ever since I bought the house and after a few years I had to replace the water heater when it started leaking. A few months after I replaced the water heater the smell got really bad so I changed to the zinc anode rod after a little research. The water heater I replaced was very old so I assume either the anode rod was replaced prior or it was probably almost completely depleted and that’s why it was not as much of an issue prior to replacing the heater.
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, odor, water