Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #1

Water Heater Manufacturer

My water heater is an Atwood GCH10A-4E. I posted here, asking about the location of its heater element.

While I definitely appreciate everyone's advice & suggestions, as to where I should look, I have not been able to locate the heater element or any access panel that would lead to it.

I read somewhere that Dometic now owns the Atwood heater.

Whether that's true or not, I would like to know for sure who actually owns the unit, because I want to write to them to ask if they would tell me the location of that heater element.

I'm actually starting to believe (as some of you have told me) that the element is going to be located on the back of the unit, & the only way to get at it will be to pull it out of the MH.

If this is the case you'd think that the manufacturer would have thought ahead, & planned it a little bit better.

Does anyone know who owns Atwood, & does anyone have a contact number or address for them?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #2

I'm getting frustrated trying to locate this heater element. I'm almost at the point to where I want to pay a RV repair guy to come out and SHOW me EXACTLY where the element is. I'll thank him, pay him his service call fee, then I'll replace it myself.

Replacing it shouldn't be a big deal (unless it is on the backside).

Just show me where it's at, take his money. & go away. I'll take it from there.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
I'm getting frustrated trying to locate this heater element. I'm almost at the point to where I want to pay a RV repair guy to come out and SHOW me EXACTLY where the element is. I'll thank him, pay him his service call fee, then I'll replace it myself.

Replacing it shouldn't be a big deal (unless it is on the backside).

Just show me where it's at, take his money. & go away. I'll take it from there.
Until then, I will keep looking.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #4

OK........

One more time

ATWOOD was acquired by DOMETIC last year....but it is still an Atwood water heater

The picture you posted in previous threads shows the Atwood Water Heater 'outside' components ie: wiring, circuit board, gas valve, burner tube, combustion chamber/exhaust shield, T&P Relief Valve and the T-stat/ECO for temp controls

BUT no electric element cause ATWOOD has always installed in it the BACKSIDE of WH TANK....that is directly OPPOSITE of the portion in your picture
That would mean it is INSIDE the MH

Being below floor level it is either accessed via removal of a floor in cabinet behind Passengers Seat, via a removable panel that is accessed from beneath the MH

OR the whole complete water heater assembly ...the whole shmear has to be removed for access
Some how or another you have to get to BACKSIDE of WH Tank, remove the protective cover that is over the area where element screws into tank

At this point YOU SHOULD have a Mobile RV Repair come out and handle it for you

Here is a LINK to a PARTS Diagram listing all the components and showing that element IS on backside
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...4e-tune-up-kit
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:09 PM   #5

What he said plus this:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...?page=7#manual

That is a picture of the inside the RV side of the tank assembly on a page where you can look at your manual and probably download it.

I would start by looking at the location outside the RV and picking something like a window or slide edge as a reference to locate the tank from inside the RV. That should let you get close enough to go inside and figure out where the tank is so you can look for a panel or similar.

On our unit the panel was originally nailed in place with an air tacker. That was over the bypass valves. Once I got it off I made it easily removable. You may need to do something similar. The point is that you need to figure out where the tank is then start opening, looking and if necessary prying things out to get to it.

If you get to whatever hides it on the inside post pictures and someone may have suggestions.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same unit. It’s made by Atwood and they are owned by Dometic. As you’ve been informed previously, the electric heating element is accessed on the back of the WH.

A Google search for that model will provide you with diagrams of the layout of the WH, including the electric heating element. You can also call or email Atwood Support and they’ll try to help you. However in my experience they will tell you to seek help from an authorized repair shop/individual.

Atwood makes dozens of products so when searching their website for authorized dealers you must look for Water Heater dealers.

Here is a great guide that will answer your questions:

Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting
Old 11-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #7

The water heater is directly underneath my washer/dryer unit. Both are located right behind the passenger seat. The only access doors there are one to hook up the hot and cold water lines for the washing machine, & the other is a door to give you access to the other ends of the washing machine's water hoses where they hook up to the washer.

The flooring was originally tile, & before we took possession, someone changed it to wood. I wonder if, whatever the reason, someone decided to do away with an opening in the floor.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:28 AM   #8

Moxxi-

Page 7-4 of the Operator's Manual for your coach (link here) shows a removable panel for water pump access, located immediately below the water heater. I've copied the picture below. The water pump access panel is inside the red rectangle. I suspect that the valve panel, shown inside the yellow rectangle, is also removable.

If you can't find these panels, then I suggest you call Winnebago. They should know how to get into that area. Atwood would not know how Winnebago installed the heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_Suncruiser_Access_Panels.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	225134  
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I also couldn't find the element for my Atwood either. Finally found my manual. It says my tank has an aluminum interior and does not have an element. Only to to flush fairly often to remove sediment.
TenMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
On my Winnebago you can access the back side of the water heater from under the coach. I’ve not tried reaching it from under the coach but have read about it here on Irv2. The electric reset button is supposed to be near the element back there, too.

Also this model has two radiator hoses that run from the RVs radiator back to the water heater. This feature, I think it’s called “Motorad” or similar, heats the coach hot water as you drive. The point being, there has to be rear access to the WH for this connection.

My RV is newer than yours and is a different floorplan, but other than that are generally similar.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMillie View Post
I also couldn't find the element for my Atwood either. Finally found my manual. It says my tank has an aluminum interior and does not have an element. Only to to flush fairly often to remove sediment.
I think you are confusing “anode rod” with “element”.

If your WH runs on electric (dual fuel) it has an electric heating element.

You are correct that Atwood Water Heaters don’t have an anode rod because of their aluminum tank.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I think you are confusing “anode rod” with “element”.

If your WH runs on electric (dual fuel) it has an electric heating element.

You are correct that Atwood Water Heaters don’t have an anode rod because of their aluminum tank.
Ha Ha....You are correct sir....sorry.
TenMillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
On my Winnebago you can access the back side of the water heater from under the coach. I’ve not tried reaching it from under the coach but have read about it here on Irv2. The electric reset button is supposed to be near the element back there, too.

Also this model has two radiator hoses that run from the RVs radiator back to the water heater. This feature, I think it’s called “Motorad” or similar, heats the coach hot water as you drive. The point being, there has to be rear access to the WH for this connection.

My RV is newer than yours and is a different floorplan, but other than that are generally similar.

There is NOT a 'reset' button for the electric by the element or elsewhere

Old version had separate sets of T-stat/ECO with the ones for electric on backside by element...some had a reset on the ECO
Since 2004 that is no longer applicable

ALL combo models since 2004 use a common DC control scheme with only one set of T-stat/ECO in outside compartment.
Any FAULT is reset by turning On/Off switch OFF then back On
Electric Elements are still on backside of WH Tank.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
There is NOT a 'reset' button for the electric by the element or elsewhere

Old version had separate sets of T-stat/ECO with the ones for electric on backside by element...some had a reset on the ECO
Since 2004 that is no longer applicable.
Good to know. I saw one in a schematic but it must have been for an older version.

I replaced the T-Stat and ECO on mine yesterday - it looks like that fixed the issue I was having with short cycling. Hard to tell, I also replace the burner pipe at the same time. Something worked, because it's not short cycling now in my driveway after 24-hours. I'll have to see for sure when we're on the road.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater