Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2023, 07:45 AM   #1

Water heater not working on Electric

Hi all -- just completed a quick 3 day weekend get-a-way and on our second morning of the trip, we noticed when we woke up that our electricity in our coach had gone off for a few minutes, but came back on just in a few minutes. When we took our first morning shower, we noticed that our water heater (on electric) was not working properly. I switched over to propane and all was good. I checked the fuse box and no blown fuses or breakers. Also checked the two amp fuse on the water heater itself and all was good. We have a 10 gallon Dometic water heater. Obviously, the electricity "glitch" did something to the water heater, but don't know what it could have been. Was able to continue showering using propane, as water heater worked perfectly on gas. I asked our neighbors if they had any power issues and no one did other than us, so assuming it was our coach and not the park. Any ideas?

Thanks to all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2023, 08:12 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Did you check to see if you have power to the water heater? Not familiar with your coach, but on some there could be a GFCI that tripped due to the power outage.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:47 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
My bet is the water heater element.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:19 PM   #4

Dometic uses 12VDC to control BOTH electric & Gas functions
Same set of T-stat/ECO, same thermal fuse, common DC supply

Circuit Board has separate circuits for Gas and Electric

When on electric Circuit Board sends 12VDC to DC relay via Yellow wire
DC Relay Closes allowing 120AC to go to element
120VAC can be supplied directly by a 15A Circuit Breaker
120VAC can be via Outlet if water heater has a power cord/plug

Model Number

If Dometic GC10A-4E ----DC Relay and Element on backside of WH Tank
If Dometic WH-10GEA....DC Relay and Element in outside compartment

*2015...probably have old version with Relay/Element on backside of WH Tank
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbales View Post
Hi all -- just completed a quick 3 day weekend get-a-way and on our second morning of the trip, we noticed when we woke up that our electricity in our coach had gone off for a few minutes, but came back on just in a few minutes. When we took our first morning shower, we noticed that our water heater (on electric) was not working properly. I switched over to propane and all was good. I checked the fuse box and no blown fuses or breakers. Also checked the two amp fuse on the water heater itself and all was good. We have a 10 gallon Dometic water heater. Obviously, the electricity "glitch" did something to the water heater, but don't know what it could have been. Was able to continue showering using propane, as water heater worked perfectly on gas. I asked our neighbors if they had any power issues and no one did other than us, so assuming it was our coach and not the park. Any ideas?

Thanks to all.
Well do I feel like an idiot. I was dealing with another "Dometic" appliance issue when I wrote this post and then realized that we have an Atwood water heater -- not a Dometic. So dumb of me.

I did check our GFCI and all is good. Every appliance and outlet in the coach is working properly -- TV's, A/C, microwave, refrigerator, etc. So apparently something went awry in the water heater itself, so am checking with Thor customer support to see what trouble shooting I can do myself (very limited as I am not mechanically inclined) prior to taking in to a repair shop. I know some people prefer propane usage on their water heaters, but we don't boondock and would prefer to use the park's electricity since we are paying for it in our nighlty visits.

Thanks again for your help, and sorry for the midleading information.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you have power to the heating element (a multimeter is a required tool in all RVs), then it probably is a bad heating element.

To test that, you just need the tank empty and then you test for ohms between the 2 heating element terminals. Infinity (∞, a lazy 8) = bad. It there is water in the tank it will conduct and show there is connectivity between the 2 terminals.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Dometic owns Atwood and now uses the Dometic brand name instead of Atwood for the same heaters.

As Old Biscuit explained, 120v heating mode is turned on/off by a 12v relay. And the 120v power comes from a circuit breaker in the main power panel (breaker box). Make sure the 120v breaker hasn't tripped, and flip the water heater power switch Off & On again. That's the wall switch somewhere inside your RV.

If you've already done that, go to the heater itself and check for 120v at the connection to the heater relay. If you have power there, then check at the heater element itself.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heat, heater, water, water heater