Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Water Heater Replacement -

Atwood water heater sprung a leak in my 2015 Winnebago Vista 35F. Looking at the Dometic replacement VS Truma hybrid, as Atwood is not available. Waiting for the $ numbers from my mobile RV tech. Appreciate any constructive suggestions or comments?
I did get a number from Lichtsinn in Forest City, IA. Pricey!
Hawkeye Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #2

I would go with the Truma AquaGo. It’s a tankless water heater, very even temp, low gas usage.
Jgeib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:36 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the tank on my neighbors trailer repaired at a local metal shop. It Cost $30. The heater was not difficult to remove on his trailer. That was 4 years ago.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #4

Pull the water heater out, locate the leak, weld it up and reinstall it. If a leak is the only problem with it and it functions fine then just repairing the Atwood would make the most sense to me.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My Suburban sprung a pin hole leak during our trip to AK, turned the water pump off to stop it from cycling which got progressively worse.
Pulled the water heater out and found the leak but decided to replace. In hind sight I should have just went and had it welded. Could have save me $$$$ and probably been better then new. The leak was at a weld.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Truma is the way to go. This was our first year with one and there were zero defects. One of our favorite upgrades so far! It is a little more expensive, but well worth it.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #7

Just a caution.

In another thread I read that the replacement heater does not have the same dimensions as the original, and you will need a new outside door and adjust the opening, slightly. That would probably mean a new paint job to make it match. I cannot remember to which brand, Atwood or Suburban, this difference applied, but just be aware.

If you go with a Truma, the solid painted door will also be a point to consider.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all of the great info.

Best ones were to fix the old tank but........
We just bought the 35F recently from a private party and it has a 4 year extended warranty.
My tech pulled the tank and the leak was at the weld on the heating element inlet. Good news.....only $100 deductible and the insurer is replacing the heater. However,we decided to upgrade to the Truma for additional $600 per Coloradobnd and Jgeib recommends and some online research....plus owning another coach and a 5th wheel with 6 gallon tanks.
Ljwt330 meantioned the paint match. I'm going to see if I like the Truma cover first.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Water heater replacement

Just an update....
The Truma door did not fit and I did not want to have my wall cut into. Disappointing news as I liked the hybrid idea.
Now I have a 6 gallon Dometic to be installed this week and the door appears to be a fit. It is still black......I'll probably not paint it.......
Hopefully this replqcement heater works.

Tags
ace, heat, heater, replace, replacement, water, water heater