Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #1

Water in fuel - NOT!

So, this is both a “heads up” and a question. I was driving on I44 in Oklahoma yesterday, with a nice little rain/wind storm going (which the weather channel emphatically said did not exist - but thats a different story), when my dash lights up with a “water in fuel” warning. Well, [mod edit]. No safe place to pull over, except eventually a short section of very slightly widened shoulder. Now, in 5 odd years with this rig, i have never had the slightest issue with water in the fuel. And yesterday i was driving for the second day on that tank of fuel (filled at flying j in Tucumcari NM).

I get out, visually checked the water separator filter (with the rig rocking as trucks whizzed by at 65-70 mph) and see NO indication of water in the separator. (Luckily that filter is on the passenger side...). Now, on these separators, there is a sensor inside the plastic water accumulator, with wires coming out the bottom, and a connector to attach to the chassis wiring. I figured that external connector got water in to it and generated a false warning. Freightliner 24 hr tech support concurred.

So - the heads up is for you to be aware that this exposed connector can be a source of such a false warning. The question is - what can be done to protect from / minimize the risk of such a false warning (which put me and my wife into a rather hazardous situation, needing to pull over immediately, with no safe place to do so (and by definition this will occur when it is raining, which makes it more dangerous)

I have driven this rig in much worse rain than this and not had this happen, and this fuel water separator was replaced this spring. Bad connector gasket maybe?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #2

Probably a once in a lifetime event but I'd grab some dielectric grease and slather it all over the connector. Then dust off and nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Years ago same thing happen with our Journey. I read here about the dielectric grease; applied it and it never happen again.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Not sure why you thought it was an emergency situation after 2 days on the same fill up? Even if there was enough water in the bottom of the separator to turn the warning on, stopping at the next rest area would be soon enough to check it out.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

Yup, happened to us in the Dutch Star after driving in a heavy downpour. Had the sensor replaced and all was well. Would the light have gone off after things had dried off? Maybe, but I can't stand dash light warnings - must fix asap.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Not sure why you thought it was an emergency situation after 2 days on the same fill up? Even if there was enough water in the bottom of the separator to turn the warning on, stopping at the next rest area would be soon enough to check it out.

Agreed. But on i44 in that locale there WAS NO next rest stop in reasonable distance (believe me, i looked!). And yes, my initial thought was - ive been driving on this tank for two days, and just now it HAPPENS to be raining and issues that error. on the other hand, running a diesel with water in the mix is REALLY bad juju [emoji19]. I DID wait for about 1/2 hour before giving up for a reasonable stopping point and pulling over on that measly pull out (note part of my post is intentionally complaining on the lack of reasonable pull outs on that stretch of road) seemed my best option at that point. Others comments on slathering that connector with dielectric grease now seems ... wise. Driving today (no rain) with clear weather an not draining the separator, no problems at all. Again, good idea to use dielectric grease on that connector.

Tags
fuel, water