Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #1

Water leak everywhere

We have a water leak that can't help but be something serious. So far it is
only dripping from underneath. I see no sign of water inside - not on any flooring, bathroom, shower etc. We have a tech coming out Thursday. We are hoping a mobile tech can fix it but I have my doubts. At first I thought it might be the gray water holding tank. It's not the black water. Doesn't seem
to be the incoming water, but outgoing drain. At first it was dripping just under the dump tank area, but it is quickly spreading - under the kitchen area, and now on the other side - probably bathroom area. Does anyone have a schematic or any idea how the pipes go underneath? I want to be
educated when the tech gets here. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #2

Sounds a little like the gray water tank leak I had. Water was dripping into the storage area below the tanks. Fixed with a "cold weld"
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Are you hooked up to city water? Ours leaks around the toilet if there is too much water pressure. We bought a regulator and that stopped that from happening.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

I also had water coming under my shower wall. No regulator installed then. Bad washer on shower faucet and higher pressure blew it out. Regulator is a great item to have.
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #5

We are on city water, but I am pretty sure it's not a pressure thing. I've turned the water off for the night, will investigate more tomorrow. I wish I could see how the pipes etc are laid out under there. And what does the gray tank look like? Although now it's spread so much I don't think it's the tank, more like a hose? If it were the tank I don't think it would be leaking in such a wide area, would it? I sure hope a mobile can fix it.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turn off and disconnect city water. Open all faucets to relieve built up pressure then turn them off. With hose disconnected, turn water on to a much lower pressure and remember how far you turned spigot to achirve low pressure. Turn off water, reconnect hose to rig and turn water back on to very low pressuure spot on spigot. Inspect for continued leaking.

If water is appearing in multiple locations it certainly sounds like classic over-pressure limit where leaks will occur at many or all pipe joints.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post
We are on city water, but I am pretty sure it's not a pressure thing.
On city water it can be a pressure thing. A pressure regulator with a gauge will tell you. Have seen over 110 psi in campgrounds. Maybe ask a neighbor with a gauge?
Once pressure makes a leak it usually stays a leak at any pressure. Try it with only on board tank/pump pressure?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Don't count out the mobile tech. Our experience has been overall much better with the mobile techs we have used over the years vs the few times we have been in a dealership. Good Luck.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBFlTmer View Post
Turn off and disconnect city water. Open all faucets to relieve built up pressure then turn them off. With hose disconnected, turn water on to a much lower pressure and remember how far you turned spigot to achirve low pressure. Turn off water, reconnect hose to rig and turn water back on to very low pressuure spot on spigot. Inspect for continued leaking.

If water is appearing in multiple locations it certainly sounds like classic over-pressure limit where leaks will occur at many or all pipe joints.
The spigot regulates flow, not pressure. Once the system is filled the pressure will equalize on either side of the valve (spigot).
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #10

Not sure if your motorhome has a pop out or not, but the kitchen sink drain line came loose and leaked a lot before I could find the source. The line must swivel as the pop out slides out. There is a lot of tension on that line. This the second motorhome that I have had that problem with.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #11

Just a thought...

...do you have your water heater on when this leak occurs? If so, it might be a leak from the water heater not having enough "air cushion" for it to work properly.

If you think it might be the water heater, turn off city water, open the faucets, and then open the relief valve on the water heater, and let it drain. After draining, close the valves, shut off the faucets and then turn on the city water. This will restore the "air cushion" in the heater, and in my case solved the mystery leak that I had in my TT.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post

The spigot regulates flow, not pressure. Once the system is filled the pressure will equalize on either side of the valve (spigot).
Well duh-that was stupid of me wasn't it? Had a rv tech acquaintance who hooked up to city without pressure regulator-water coming out everywhere and yes-he had to redo joints because once busted they still leaked. He let it go for a while day though. Hope not the case here.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBFlTmer View Post
, turn water on to a much lower pressure and remember how far you turned spigot to achirve low pressure. Turn off water, reconnect hose to rig and turn water back on to very low pressuure spot on spigot. Inspect for continued leaking.
Be aware of the following:
A SPIGOT CAN ONLY CONTROL the the VOLUME of the incoming water.
You CAN NOT control water PRESSURE with a SPIGOT, (aka: water faucet).

If the spigot is fully opened the pressure in the RV water system will quickly reach the full pressure of the incoming water supply.
If the spigot is only opened slightly, allowing a lesser volume of water to run into the fresh water system, it will simply take longer for the water at a trickle to pressurize the system up to the same pressure.

To CONTROL, or reduce, the water PRESSURE you MUST use a PRESSURE REGULATOR on the incoming water supply.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #14

^^^^^Well stated!

Tags
leak, water