Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

Be aware of the following:
A SPIGOT CAN ONLY CONTROL the the VOLUME of the incoming water.
You CAN NOT control water PRESSURE with a SPIGOT, (aka: water faucet).

If the spigot is fully opened the pressure in the RV water system will quickly reach the full pressure of the incoming water supply.
If the spigot is only opened slightly, allowing a lesser volume of water to run into the fresh water system, it will simply take longer for the water at a trickle to pressurize the system up to the same pressure.

To CONTROL, or reduce, the water PRESSURE you MUST use a PRESSURE REGULATOR on the incoming water supply.
Mel
'96 Safari
Exactly-as I said-I it was a stupid thing to say. You obviously cannot keep it on or it will just repressurize the system. Besides, if it broke seals at joints its going to leak no matter what. So, again-duh, that was a dumb thing of me to suggest. Got it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #16

With water in the tank close all valves-kitchen sink, shower etc. Turn on water pump and pump should pressue system and then shut off. If in an hour or so it doesn't cycle on there should not be any kind of a lower pressure system leak.
Rockysvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #17

If you feel it maybe a holding tank, add some red food color dye to suspect tank. Should show up in the leak. Add a different color food dye to other tank. I also have a leak underneath in water tank area. No sign of water any place inside. Going to add red dye to water tank when it rains again to see if maybe have rain leak. If no leak from tank in a day or so, will turn on water pump to see if there is a leak in water lines. Probably good idea to mix dye in gallon of water first.
Rockysvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #18

The tech came out and verdict is - pack rats chewed the hose or fitting or something. (I also have a thread going on pack rat issues - which we are actively battling. ). I knew that was a possibility, but since the leaks were in several places, I was hoping/thinking age of equipment cause. (It's a 2000 MH.) But tech said the parts would not wear like that with age. Guess that's good to know. So - we have an appointment for June 5. He will be able to do it here on site. That's good. Cost - around $500 - and up. We have an extended service agreement. But of course if it does prove to be rat damage they won't cover it. I'm crossing fingers for a miracle of a different cause.
We are using the fresh water tank, not city water, and turning the pump on only when needed. Also - he gave me some more tips about the pack rat entry.

There's so much to learn with these homes on wheels. sigh Still a good home tho..... Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #19

I like the idea of different color food coloring for the different tanks but I would not suggest using yellow in the black tank.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post
We have a water leak that can't help but be something serious. So far it is
only dripping from underneath. I see no sign of water inside - not on any flooring, bathroom, shower etc. We have a tech coming out Thursday. We are hoping a mobile tech can fix it but I have my doubts. At first I thought it might be the gray water holding tank. It's not the black water. Doesn't seem
to be the incoming water, but outgoing drain. At first it was dripping just under the dump tank area, but it is quickly spreading - under the kitchen area, and now on the other side - probably bathroom area. Does anyone have a schematic or any idea how the pipes go underneath? I want to be
educated when the tech gets here. Thanks

The pex tubing is great in RV's however the joints on most of them are plastic and freeze and break easy, everytime I've had a water leak it was the joint not the tubing... Fix it now before you get major water damage, wood rot and mold...
LogansPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinmich View Post
I like the idea of different color food coloring for the different tanks but I would not suggest using yellow in the black tank.
lol
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
The pex tubing is great in RV's however the joints on most of them are plastic and freeze and break easy....
The plastic fittings on the PEX become brittle when exposed to chlorine, specially when you use high levels of chlorine to sanitize the fresh water system... I had to replace all the PEX fittings with brass, one fitting would fail, and the next two would follow as soon as the tubing was moved.

fraizerdee: All of my plumbing pipes/fittings were accessible, ask the Mobile tech, he may be able to locate access panels. (There was a panel above my propane tank, behind the propane compartment door, that gave access to the holding tanks and the under floor, kitchen & shower plumbing)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water