Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Water leak on control valve. See pic

Hi
I have a water leak on the backside of the control valve (upper leftside) right where it is crimped to the fitting. How in the heck do I get at it to fix it? It's impossible to reach up behind the board they are mounted on.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0124.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	68691  
Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

Could you possible remove the panel and pull it out some.
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
When do we diside to do the work ourselves.

I had a similar situation a few years back but I had to replace the whole valve system myself.
I know that mine does not look just like yours but if someone installed it then their should be a few screws or bolts their that could be removed.
I would suggest that if you don't feel up to it, then maybe you should take it to a repair shop.
I know from past repair work on my M.H. that if I had know what I was getting into at the time, I would of let someone else do the work.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #4

I removed the screws and knobs only to find out the screws only held on the face plate. The plywood behind the faceplate is what all the valves are attached too and that whole system is mounted to the stoage bin. lol Ugh!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
It looks like if you remove the screws holding panel in place, you'll have access. Hopefully there's enough slack in the other hoses on the left to tilt the panel down (or up) to get the the leaking valve. If the fitting is a crimp on pex fitting, you can replace it with a 'sharkbite' fitting available at most big box home centers.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #6

I'm to cheap to take it to a shop. I'll let you know what I find as I take things apart.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #7

Thanks BFlinn181 and everyone. As soon as the humidiy leaves I'll try and drop the pannel. I like the idea of sharkbite and may just redo them all as long as I'm in there.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

Getting there

So when I got the thing apart the upper (plastic) left valve was leaking. And to get at the valves I had to cut everything out of that bay….what a pain that was. It does not look pretty but I will spruce things up once I get it working again, as of now I have NO water and I’m stumped.
Here is what I did. I put a hose connection with a ball valve on the main water line to the fresh water holding tank. Picture 1.
There were two drain lines hot/cold that I valved and there are two hot/cold supply lines that went to an outside faucet/showerhead in the bay that I also valved. All four valves are in the off position. Picture 2. Because I had all the water lines cut off at one time, the fresh water tank was completely emptied of all water.
So here is my problem now:
I filled the fresh water tank half full so I could check for leaks and make sure the system pressurized. I ran the pump for about 90 seconds and I had no water or air pressure in the faucet. I was going to let the pump run but I’m afraid I’ll burn it out.
I’m wondering now if the two hot/cold water lines in the bay that I capped off need to be connected to the main water line so it is a complete continuous loop. That would not make sense though because I'd have hot water goning in the cold. Or does the pump just need to run longer. Any ideas??
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140729_101013.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	69317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140729_101044.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	69318  

Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Most of the time fresh water pumps aren't self-priming, so you need to make sure gravity will carry water down to the pump.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Most of the time fresh water pumps aren't self-priming, so you need to make sure gravity will carry water down to the pump.
But with the water tank half full (20 gallons) the pump should suck water from the tank?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
But with the water tank half full (20 gallons) the pump should suck water from the tank?
Make sure the water gets to the pump by gravity, then the pump will push it to the rest of the RV and keep pulling water from the tank. If it doesn't prime by flow from the tank, check for a valve or screen that may be stopping water flow.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #12

Thanks for the input BFlinn181 but how do I get the water to the pump by gravity? I understand the theory but I’m not sure how to do it.
I just now ran the water from the hose and as it was filling up the tank I ran the pump but that did not work either. The tank reads full now
And I’m not sure where my pump is located on my RV. I can hear it but I don’t see it.
Also I forgot to mention that the pump worked great before I re-plumbed the valves/waterlines.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Is the tank and hose from tank above the pump? Mine is pretty obviously gravity primed.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
at a dumb guess do you actually have the line running from the tank to the pump hooked up. You said you capped some lines off could one of those be the line that went to the pump. You also talk about drain lines and lines to an outside faucet that you valved. I am not sure what you have but I would open up the valves one at a time and see if your pump started pumping water. If you cut all the lines off I would also check to see if there were any that were not hooked back up that you might have missed. If it was working before you started probably not a screen that is clogged I am going to guess you do not have water running to the input side of the pump.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak