Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

Water leak: what is this and why is it leaking?

I had to winterize my RV for 3 days because of the cold temps, so I blew compressed air through the system and then ran the furnace at 50 degrees each night. I had all of the cabinets open and a fan on to circulate air through the whole RV. Today I re-connected water to fill everything and make sure it was ok, and water started pouring out of the top of this contraption. It is under the sink in my 1/2 bath.

What is it, and why is water leaking here? I'm not sure how it could have frozen since it is a high point, I drained and blew air through everything, and I ran my furnace the whole time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1345.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	155102  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #2

Looks like a water line for an icemaker.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
That looks like an air gap. The valve in it may be stuck. Take it out and look inside and see if it is stuck or has some debris in it. When you put it back in do not over tighten the fittings.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #4

I don't know why the vacuum break ( or air gap ) is plumbed using red tubing , as the system is part of your black tank flush , and red usually indicated a hot water system.

The air gap is installed to prevent anything; germs , bacteria ; from your black tank from backing up to your black flush, hose hook up in the water bay.

Were you hooked up to the back tank flush connection ? instead of the city water hook up . There should only be water flow at the air gap when flushing the black tank.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I don't know why the vacuum break ( or air gap ) is plumbed using red tubing , as the system is part of your black tank flush , and red usually indicated a hot water system.

The air gap is installed to prevent anything; germs , bacteria ; from your black tank from backing up to your black flush, hose hook up in the water bay.

Were you hooked up to the back tank flush connection ? instead of the city water hook up . There should only be water flow at the air gap when flushing the black tank.
I agree with Skip in that it is the vacuum break for the black tank, and also the question about the red piping. With that said, it is very easy to overlook the tank flusher when winterizing, because you have to also blow air through the black tank flusher inlet or you may end up with standing water in the flush line.

My biggest question is IF it is black tank flush, then why did the water start coming out when you were putting water on board? That shouldn't start leaking until you go to flush the black tank.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

Yep, that is it! Thank you all!!

The previous owner has a set up so that you can open a fresh water valve in the wet bay and flush the black tank. I had it open when I was draining everything and forgot to close it, so it was trying to flush the black tank which is, of course, closed. I have a fan in there now to dry everything out, and I shut the valve off and reinstalled with no leaks.

I feel like a moron with all of this, I just got the motorhome and I am making one noob mistake after another. I should start a blog or something that shares all of the dumb stuff I do.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My "Air Gap" was bad, and it started a flood when I flushed the black tank for the first time It should not make a difference if the gate valve for the black tank was open or not.
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreer00 View Post
Today I re-connected water to fill everything and make sure it was ok, and water started pouring out of the top of this contraption. It is under the sink in my 1/2 bath.
What is it, and why is water leaking here?
cgreer00
The "contraption" in your photo, with the red pipes connected, is a cheap plastic, (often unreliable), vacuum breaker, (which has apparently failed and needs to be replaced).
Better vacuum breakers are available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Watts Vacuum Breaker

Vacuum breakers are used to prevent water from being siphoned backward into the public water system.

How a Vacuum Breaker Works

See also: http://www.pexuniverse.com/how-does-...m-breaker-work
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #9

The Anti-siphon backflow preventer has been covered.

WHY the RED Lines......

Simple. THAT is what 'plumber' had to use. Piece work, he is NOT about to go back to supplies and get white or blue PEX. Time ....Time ....Time.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #10

I just went to Lowes, and they don't have one that will work . Is this thing necessary? Can I just connect those two pipes without a vacuum breaker?
Old 03-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #11

look in the department for shower heads there are inline vac breaks in there or try amazon.
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #12

My "No Fuss Flush" anti siphon/vacuum breaker failed also. Replaced it and the problem/leak went away. Pics on another thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ace-...223543-57.html

Post #789 and #791

Twenty bucks on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ilpage_o02_s00
Old 03-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Should have one. You have to prevent backflow into your water source, else you can contaminate your water supply.

You also should have an air gap, so the water in that hose can flow down into the black tank. It has to be that high, so that it's impossible for black water to back up into that.....hence it's higher than the toilet.

Some have replaced it with a one way backflow preventer, but I'd replace with a brass version w/air gap. You should be able to order online. Campers World might even have one. I've been meaning to get one as a spare, since the plastic ones tend to break. Found this with a quick search:
http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...s.asp?pid=7682

or this is 20 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/Cash-Acme-173...BXAGMH65WGW1FG
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:53 AM   #14

Thank you, I just ordered one

Tags
leak, water, water leak