Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #1

Water Pressure

Have a recently aquired 2005 Forest River Georgetown 359ts. First time I used city water with a pressure reducer the flow was miserable. Bought new pressure regulator (40-50#) better but still miserable. Is this normal? I tried the city water alone and pressure was good but I have heard that's a good way to break my plumbing.

Is this the best I can do?...

Bend302
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Before you spend to much time trying to improve the pressure, unscrew the end from each faucet and clean the screens. With a 2005 unit it would not be uncommon for them to be slightly plugged.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't try not using a regulator unless you like replacing water fittings and lines.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #4

You should go with the Valterra High Flow 55# water pressure regulator part number A01-1113VP. They flow 20% more water.Amazon.com: Valterra Products, Inc. A01-1113VP Carded Hi Flow Water Regulator: Automotive

Also if you are using a hose reel then make sure you unwind all the hose off the reel because sometimes where the hose is connected to the reel gets flattened and reduces the flow.

Lastly a common problem is if you have a canister type water filter. Some people put what is called an invidual water faucet filter in the cannister which is a 0.5 micron filter and will really reduce the flow. You need 5.0 micron filters. Home Depot is confusing to figure out their filters because they don't tell you the size and they are all 0.5 micron individual faucet filters. Lowes filters are sized and you can get 5.0 micron carbon block filters from them. The best place to get filters is from RV Water Filter Store: Carbon Cartridges for Standard Canisters

Call them up and they will sell you the correct one and have them to you in three days at a great price.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Much depends upon CG water pressure. If you have a 50', 1/2" water hose and a CG water pressure of 70-90psi this chart shows what happens:
http://www.ultimatewasher.com/hose-pressure-loss.htm

The smallest restriction in your water sysem determines total flow at the same pressure. http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/eng99239.htm
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Also check the fitting on your rv where the hose itself connects. Most have a cone shaped screen washer that can easily become clogged with debri, calcium, lime deposits or just junk in general and slow your flow rate down. These are similiar to the screen type washers found in a lot of home washing machine connections. They can be purchased at Camping World or any hardware store.
Camco Mfg Inc - Hose Filter Washers, Pack of three - Hoses, Reels & Fittings - Camping World
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
bend302-

Good advice from others above.

If you are using a 1/2" hose, go to 5/8" for more flow. Keep the lengths as short as possible, IE, several 10 foot lenghts put together to reach the spigot is much better than using a 50' length hose. I would cut up a new, water designated hose (usually white in color) 50 ft long, 5/8" hose into five, 10 ft parts. New fitting are available at any hardware store.

You might need to use a water pressure tester for your first hookup. You can make one up at Lowes/Home Depot. If it's less than 50 psi, don't use a regulator. In Maine in the summer, we have only 30-35 psi (well water, pumped up hill) at my rigs parking spot. A regulator only makes things worse.

Buy an Oxygenics shower head to greatly improve your showers.

Good luck,
Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem is the pressure regulator... Many RV places hawk these little things that are about the size of a female garden hose connector, they are brass or plastic cylinders, perhaps 4" long... Some (Better ones) often have a brightly colored "Grip" on the female end.

THEY SUCK.. DO NOT USE THEM.. The internal openings are not large enough.

Sur-Flo (Is that a Watts company?) Makes the conbination inlet/regulator used on some RV's.. they also market just the regulator with a male hose adapter on the outlet end... This one is pre-set to 50 PSI (At least mine is) and it works fairly well.. I"d give it a 9.5 on a scale of 10.. and 9.5, to be honest, is good enough.

Watts and Valterra both make a "Whole House" type regulator, This regulator has a bell shaped top housing, usually mounted on a square base.. The hose fittings go into and out of the base (Well pipe fittings) and there is a bolt with a lock nut coming out the top of the bell (Pressure adjust) The smallest WATTS, is too small. but 1/2 inch or larger will work.. If you get a 3/4 inch one you can screw standard brass garden hose adapters into it directly, no need for nipples. though the 1/2 inch has the capacity you need. Set to 50 PSI.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
All good advice, but until you take out or drill out all of those stupid asinine ridiculous "low flow" restrictors that are likely present in all your faucets, you won't get any water flow even if you're hooked up to a fire truck. They're easy to find-- at the end of the hose where it connects to your shower head, inside the aerators, sometimes hiding at the base of the faucet nozzle--- it's the little piece of plastic or metal with the toothpick-sized hole in it. Throw all those away and enjoy the water flow aftewards!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #10

I incorporated a pressure gauge onto my Watts regulator inlet side. I am surprised by the fluctuation in water pressure during a 24 hour period. At one RV park daytime pressure hovered around 50-60 psi, but when it got late in the evening pressure shot up to over 120 psi. at times. The Park check-in person did alert me to the pressure situation, which I thought was great customer service.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Restritions are the biggest problem with poor showers. First remove all restriions. Second go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a whole house water pressure regulator and nessesary fittings for the hose fittings. These are adjustable and have higher flow than the little inline hose regulators.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I use an adjustable regulartor and keep my flow at about 55 psi. No leaks caused by it so far.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

He says the flow is ok if he removes the regulator, so I don't think he has any of the problems mentioned concerning filters, screens, flow restrictors, etc. I'd say the problem is those cheap RV regulators, which typically have a max flow rate of 1-1.5 gpm. Get one of the high flow regulators mentioned above, or better yet the "whole house" type. And run the pressure up to 60-65 if you like - the RV system is no where near as flimsy as some would have you believe. They are factory tested at around 90 psi.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
The watts 3/4" regulator from lowes and some fittings. Works just great and no worrys when hooking up to campground water. I ran into 100# plus last summer and borrowed one of those cheap in line regulators and had problems all weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00456.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	7571   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00455.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	7573