Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Water pump - How's this supposed to work?

First trip in the 2011 Tiffin Allegro 32BA. There was 1/3 tank fresh water from the dealership in their and the inspector's testing.

There is a pump switch in the bathroom, and one in the kitchen. Up is *supposed* to be on.

The big City Water vs Fill Tank was set to City. I don't boondock, and always in the past of used the park's we go to water supplies.

So - I was expecting to be using city water the entire time. But I kept hearing the pump going when we used the water. Check the pump switches - both bathroom and kitchen were down. Run water, pump noises. Push the bathroom switch up (which previous owner had labeled as "pump on", and it stops.

So - bathroom is now "on", kitchen is "off", and pump is now off.

During out four day stay, the fresh water tank went from 1/3 to 2/3. I opened the drain, and water flowed out...until the tank got to 1/3, and there it stopped.

So...what's going on? :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2020, 06:42 PM   #2

Normal. Both are not necessarily to be in the same position. As long as the pump doesn’t start when you turn a faucet you’ re good.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Any idea why the fresh water tank went up by 1/3 when the valve was set to city and not “fill”?
Old 07-19-2020, 10:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Any idea why the fresh water tank went up by 1/3 when the valve was set to city and not “fill”?
I've read on here a few times that the "city water/tank fill" valve you spoke of in your first post sometimes leaks through. It might be letting water into the tank while in the city water position.

I have that valve on mine but I've never used it because ours has a gravity fill that I use instead. It's been 17 years now, it's never been turned, and I'm not going to try turning it now.

Sounds like you have the pump under control but in case not,,, I wouldn't be surprised if there's another rocker switch down in the water bay compartment.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I've read on here a few times that the "city water/tank fill" valve you spoke of in your first post sometimes leaks through. It might be letting water into the tank while in the city water position.
Ok, will keep an eye on that, thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Do your pump switches stay in the position when you move them or are they momentary (they spring back when you let go)? If you have more than one switch, they are usually momentary.

If momentary, your water pump is controlled with a relay (pump controller) and moving the switch just triggers a change at the controller. There is no "ON" position at the switch - it's just a signalling device to tell the controller that you want to change the current pump status. If already ON, it turns OFF; if already OFF, it turns ON. From either switch.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #7

If only two switches, they are likely “three way”, similar to what you would find in your house. You can turn the pump on-off from either switch but the actual switch position doesn’t matter. Unless there is a light on the switch or you can hear the pump there’s no way to tell. Labeling that type of switch is useless. As far as the tank filling, it’s either the selector valve or the check valve in the pump head is leaking.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
If only two switches, they are likely “three way”, similar to what you would find in your house. You can turn the pump on-off from either switch but the actual switch position doesn’t matter. Unless there is a light on the switch or you can hear the pump there’s no way to tell. Labeling that type of switch is useless. As far as the tank filling, it’s either the selector valve or the check valve in the pump head is leaking.
Very good advice here!!

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Yeah, I'm going to go with the "three way"-switch-like-the-house theory of behavior, because that is what I observed.

I'm hoping that I can unmount that city/fill valve and it'll drop down below the panel enough for me to get to it. Disassembling that entire panel would be a huge pain in the neck.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Right on exactly how it works

You might have a third switch at the wet bay as well
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
As said above, switches are working normally, if any switch is ON, the pump is energized, and will turn on if the pressure drops below the set-point (45 psi +/-). If you're hooked up to city water and the city water pressure is less than the set point (45 psi), then the pump will turn on to give you 45psi at the faucet.
Next issue: sounds like the city water tank fill valve is leaking by, filling the tank whn it shouldn't. Try opening and closing the tank-fill-valve a few times to see if it will reseat. Leaking by is not a major issue, especially since it took 4 days to go from 1/3 to 2/3. Worse that will happen is the tank will oveflow thru the overflow tube.
Third issue: if water stopped draining and still showed 1/3, sounds like there's a piece of debris on the 1/3 contact, giving you a false reading. Might try putting Cl (bleach) in tank and letting it soak for a few days, then rinsing tank. Doubt if drain valve is an issue since you siad water did drain - although if it drained to JUST LESS than 2/3 it would still show as 1/3. Try the chlorine first.

Skip Y
2010 Journey
WIT Club 47083, FMCA F263635
Loc.: MI
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 Allegro with pump switch in bathroom and at control panel in a front cabinet.
Whichever switch is used to turn the pump on must also be used to turn the pump off. One switch cannot override the operation of the other. Newer model Allegros must have changed.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I have a 2004 Allegro with pump switch in bathroom and at control panel in a front cabinet.
Whichever switch is used to turn the pump on must also be used to turn the pump off. One switch cannot override the operation of the other. Newer model Allegros must have changed.
Newer rigs have a pump controller mounted near the water pump where the signal is sent
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Do your pump switches stay in the position when you move them or are they momentary (they spring back when you let go)? If you have more than one switch, they are usually momentary.

If momentary, your water pump is controlled with a relay (pump controller) and moving the switch just triggers a change at the controller. There is no "ON" position at the switch - it's just a signalling device to tell the controller that you want to change the current pump status. If already ON, it turns OFF; if already OFF, it turns ON. From either switch.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump