RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #1

Water pump problem

I am so glad I joined this forum because so many of you have helped with my problems and I thank you so much. I got another one now. When I am plugged up to my house or running the generator the water pump will not come on. The power on the switch lights up but no pump. I have checked fuses and breakers but everything checks out ok. Any suggestions?
mmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #2

May have an inline fuse close to the pump. Also if you have multiple switches then you most likely have a pump controller. The switches feed the controller and the controller feeds the pump. The controllers do fail sometimes. Follow the wires back from the pump to see if there is an inline fuse and/or controller.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Just to see if I'm understanding this correctly.
It SEEMS that you have implied that the pump DOES work when you're not plugged in or running the generator. But as soon as you have a source of AC current the pump quits working - is that what's happening?

Or does the pump not work at all, ever?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

The pump does not work at all...the power switch in the coach lights up but the pump will not by shore power or generator...of course I just use it when I am going down the road.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

I just have one switch inside the coach.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

Soooo plugged in or on generator has nothing to do with the symptom?

Have you checked the fuse for the pump? Have you checked for 12 VDC at the pump when it is turned on? If voltage there than it is the pressure switch stuck on the pump (or broken, dirty contacts, etc - the pressure switch, that is).
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The water pump operates on 12 volt, not AC - so take the power cord and the generator out of your equation, they are not relevant to this issue.

Do other 12 volt items work, interior lights for instance? If so then the problem is something specific to the pump. If not, then there is an issue with the 12 volt system.

If the problem is limited to just the pump then the first step is to check the voltage at the pump itself. If there is voltage TO the pump then the pump itself is the problem and probably needs to be replace.
If there is no voltage to the pump then keep moving 'upstream' until you find where the voltage stops flowing. (Check the switch for the pump, and the fuse that powers it.)

If you don't already have one then you should invest in a voltage tester and get somewhat familiar with how to use it.
You'll be needing one of these on and off for as long as you have an RV, there often seems to be something that needs to be tested to see why it's not working.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #8

Im my limited experience, these pumps go bad easily. Mine died in my brand new coach after only 10K miles. The good news, if you're getting 12v to the pump and it is indeed defective, they are very cheap and easy to replace. I went to Camping World and picked up a variable speed pump - and it's a beast. It only pumps as much as is needed. When doing dishes or washing your hands you can barely hear it. So far I have turned every manufacturer oversight into an opportunity to make an exciting upgrade.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd check to make sure you've got power to the pump when in on position. If yes, $95 dollar replacements on Amazon. Just replaced mine. Took about 5 minutes.
Nominefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #10

Just a note, if there is a pump controller involved they supply the ground to turn on the pump. So you may have 12v at the pump but no ground if the controller is shot.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Just a note, if there is a pump controller involved they supply the ground to turn on the pump. So you may have 12v at the pump but no ground if the controller is shot.
There will be two wires leading to the pump. Generally the 12V. supply wire will be red while the ground wire will be black. These wires should be disconnected and checked with a volt meter hooked between the supply wires (not the pump) for full battery voltage with the pump switch on.
If you get a voltage reading under battery voltage you have to correct it before you replace the pump.
If you don't have power when testing find a good ground on the chassis and test for voltage between the pump's power wire and the good ground.
If you have a voltage reading you have a ground supply problem.
At that point I would go to the switch and test it. This may require some long jumper wires if you can't easily access the wiring on the switch.
You will have to have a 12V. supply at the switch location available to test the switch for a ground input and output. With the pump switch turned ON you should have a ground on both switch terminals and the voltmeter will read battery voltage. With the switch off there should be a voltage only on one switch terminal.
Most of this testing could be done with a test light. The drawback here is the test light may illuminate but the voltage might be low due to a poor ground or voltage connection and you wouldn't know it. I prefer a volt meter for electrical testing.
Low voltage can or will damage an electric motor. You need to know you are getting full battery power supplied to the pump. If you replaced a burnt out pump and supplied the new pump with low voltage the new pump will fail in a short time period.
If you are unsure of the testing put some pictures of the pump and switch on here and we will try to walk you through the procedure.
Lynn

Tags
water, water pump