Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Water Pump won't shut off

We have a 2006 Pace Arrow 37C with 3 slides.
We're currently camping on the beautiful Oregon coast.
We notice that the water pump almost always stays on after we use the toilet or a sink. We can hear the "hum", which stays on, so we turn the pump switch off and then back on (from the control panel inside the rig)and that corrects the problem until the next time.

We don't want to burn up the pump.

Thoughts on what's causing the pump not to shut off automatically and how to fix?

Thanks,
Jim & Susan
Merlin OR
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Jim & Susan,

Is your tank fill valve open (or partially open)? On some rigs, this will cause the water pump to continuously pump water out of the fresh tank around the circuit and back into the fresh tank.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #3

You have an open valve somewhere as stated in post #2. These pumps are designed to pump up to a set pressure and shut off. When a valve is opened, the pressure drops and the pump starts to pump water. When you shut the valve off, pressure builds and the pump shuts off at its designed pressure.
Look for an open valve somewhere and your pump problem is solved.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

If you can, check the connections near the pump and see if it has a strainer on the intake line.

You may be sucking some air into the pump, causing it not to build pressure.

When you shut it off, the air bleeds out of the pump, so that when you turn it back on it quickly builds up.

If the strainer is plugged up, It makes any loose connection a place to suck air in.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #5

You also have a 10 amp latch control near the pump, this allow you to turn on the pump from mutiple switches to latch when you turn on the pump. I had this same problem, but after a while the pump would not come back on. I replace the 10 amp latch control and this fixed the problem.
fishing127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

On our Sureflo there is an screw adjustment on the end of the pump that determines the pressure at which it turns on and off.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If your check valve is sticking on the intake side of the pump in open position it will do what you are seeing. If you hook up to city water and after a long time if your tank fills up then you will know for sure. I had a brand new pump do this and I just added a water check valve and no more running pump plus I added a 2 1/2 gal accumulator tank

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You said a "hum". I gather that is different than the normal noise of the pump pushing water? If so, I suspect a bad internal pump pressure switch/flow control. If not, i.e. it's the same,normal pump sound it makes when a water tap is open, then its one of the tings the others have already suggested.

I had an Aquatec variable-speed pump that intermittently hummed after it finished pumping pumping. Basically it was still trying to pump at a very, very low speed, and that was the hum. It was as cheap, as easier, to replace the entire pump as it would have been to get it repaired.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump