Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

Water Softener

I was thinking about installing a water softener in my MH. How many people have put them in and are you happy with the results. I don't know much about them so if anyone knows which brand is better than another that would be helpful as well.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here is many other thread on the water softener's to read through while waiting for others to chime in https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...com&gws_rd=ssl
Old 03-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Here is many other thread on the water softener's to read through while waiting for others to chime in https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...com&gws_rd=ssl

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1458680193.967467.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  109.1 KB

Hope this pic uploaded properly. I installed a travelsoft softener. I used quality hoses fro the rvwaterfilterstore.com. The travelsoft was chosen because of the valve on the head of the unit and the use of a wye and washer hoses eliminated the need to connect or disconnect hose while regenerating the unit. The unit can also be placed in a bypass mode when desired. Great unit and an onboard install leaves no worry about theft although I'm not one to much worry about that. It was a convenience thing for me. I am a plumber by the way so easy peasy it was hut you should not have. A problem duplicating my efforts.
Docschro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

We have an "On the Go" water softener. It uses common table salt to regenerate and works very well for us. Ours is the smaller of the two models and requires regeneration about every two-three weeks depending on the incoming water hardness.
There is another brand that worksthe same as ours, I just don't remember the name.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #5

On-The-GO
PurFlo
WaterStick

SAME_SAME..just different names/companies

All use a 'resin beads' that attracts calcium/magnesium minerals in water supply (hard water) until beads are coated then salt solution is used to release the minerals for reuse.

8000 grain Unit will treat 800 gallons of 100ppb hardness water before needing a 'regen'

Regen takes roughly a 20 minute soak of 'brine' solution and then a 15 minute or so rinse. Then unit can be placed back in service to treat incoming water source.

We purchased one 8 yrs ago prior to going FT traveling. 2 adults normal usage I would have to regen after 10-14 days of use.
Used it mostly in SW USA (AZ, NM, TX)

Works very well...........buy the one that is on sale. SAME-SAME
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
On-The-GO
PurFlo
WaterStick

All use a 'resin beads' that attracts calcium/magnesium minerals in water supply (hard water) until beads are coated then salt solution is used to release the minerals for reuse.

8000 grain Unit will treat 800 gallons of 100ppb hardness water before needing a 'regen'

Regen takes roughly a 20 minute soak of 'brine' solution and then a 15 minute or so rinse. Then unit can be placed back in service to treat incoming water source.

We purchased one 8 yrs ago prior to going FT traveling. 2 adults normal usage I would have to regen after 10-14 days of use.

X2...get the cheapest one. I went with the FloPur RV PRO 10000...on sale for $173 right now. Works great but their regeneration instructions don't work for me. I have to actually add the salt to some water to get a brine then dump out about half the water in the unit and refill with the brine. Let it set for about 30 minutes while shaking/tipping the unit every 10 minutes or so to get the brine solution throughout the resin beads. it appears to last longer in between regenerations this way (again for me).
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
On-The-GO
PurFlo
WaterStick

Actually they are not all the same regarding re-generation. I can see where the valves on the Travelsoft would make it easy to re-gen.

I plumbed mine using PEX, and had to mount it in the small storage bay next to the wet bay because it was so tall.

For me to Re-gen, I disconnect the inflow hose (it is a hand tighten fitting) and connect a line with a funnel.
I installed a "Winterizing valve" (two way valve) on the outlet. Turning this valve allows it to drain to the outside.

Then pour brine into the inlet side (3lb salt/gal).let it sit....then flush.

I definitely recommend a permanent install, and some kind of valve set-up to make re-gen easy.

Regards,

Dan
Old 03-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Depends on where you are going. We go to the Gulf Coast...water is so soft there, you can't get the soap off in the shower or even washing your hands.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #9

We use the PurFlo 10000 with a standard inline filter right before it. I just set it up next to the MH when we get there. Recharges with a couple of boxes of table salt. It works well. I use the test strips to tell me when it is time to recharge.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #10

I have had a water softener for 3 years now and today went to put the salt in and noticed I have green algae in it. I've disconnected it and waiting for a reply from the manufacturer. It does sit in the direct sunlight in Arizona. Anyone else have or had this problem and how did you take care of it?
TandI Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #11

I also use the PurFlo 10000. I have a sediment filter and charcoal filter before it. It uses table salt. It works very well for us. We are out west and the water can be very hard. It has stopped all the spotting and scale.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
On-The-GO
PurFlo
WaterStick

Your math and terminology is a bit off. Hardness is measured in MG/L(milligrams per liter), GPG(grains/gallon, or ppm (parts per million), not ppb (parts per billion - unless your looking at ultra pure water). 1 grain/gallon hardness is equal to 17.1 ppm. Therefore if the water is 100 ppm hardness, your 8000 grain unit will produce 1368 gallons of soft water between regenerations.

Like you, I also use water softener. It prevents the scale around the fixtures and scaling up of the inside of the water heater. Besides, I can't stand the feel of the soap when taking a shower in hard water.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do to BP problems, is there a softer that doesn't use table salt to recharge with? Would like to get something as we tend to travel alot in the southwest.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #14

You can use potassium chloride, don't know if it would be any better for you but eliminated the sodium.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water